All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Vegan and IBS
      #281947 - 09/13/06 04:51 AM
desiree

Reged: 09/12/06
Loc: NY State

Can anyone give me any information on how being a vegan with IBS is helping them or if they had to change anything to feel better.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Vegan and IBS new
      #282072 - 09/13/06 04:19 PM
feelinggood

Reged: 09/11/06

Hello, I have been a vegan for about 7 years and have had IBS for about 6 of those. I realize now that I have not been eating nearly enough SF. I was very very focused on total whole grains - not a good thing for my particular bowel. I really need to rethink my approach to my vegan diet. I will still be vegetarian, however, I am considering adding in egg whites as my protein level is very low in my diet. I am only able to take one day at a time and pray that I can eventually take one week at a time without an episode. Take care. Debbie, Ontario, Canada

hi desiree new
      #282150 - 09/13/06 10:42 PM
little bear

Reged: 12/22/04
Loc: chicago

ive been a vegan about 2 years (in dec). for a while i was quite concerned that i hadnt gotten better-ibs wise, since eating a vegan diet has gotten such beneficial raves. for me, i always end up eating really starchy/carby or bready foods that unfortunately constipate me more (im a C). i do however, have a cholesterol free diet that is naturally low in fat. if i have ibs attacks at all, it's usually from a bad habit ie:coffee.

if you are considering going vegan, definately read up on as much as you can. it is crucial that you find alternatives for all the vitamins and such that you would cut out. it's also important that you find alternatives that leave you pain free. do things slowly, so you wont shock your system, and then cheat once you've started.

a great place to shop for products is at whole foods, even though it is a bit expensive. for instance, if you want to experiment with cutting out meat, try some of the meat free products from W.F. and continue to buy your regular groceries. then if those products work well, try removing dairy and adding soy. soy is tricky b/c it can cause gas. i find that i do the best when i drink rice milk. the vanilla rice dream is the best by far. it doesnt taste half as bad as it might sound like. it's good for cereals.

check out this website for awesome recipes:
veg web

hope that helps you some! depending on your ibs type, im not sure what further to recommend. have fun recipe-surfing!! there are some tasty treats if you have anymore Q's, post to me or if you have myspace, you can send me a message: www.myspace.com/dutchflowers
--------------------------------------------------

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

www.myspace.com/dutchflowers

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 61 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2290

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review