All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
I think my IBS diet is making me fat!
      #281130 - 09/07/06 07:16 AM
ltruss

Reged: 08/29/06
Loc: Dallas, TX

I've been on the IBS diet.. using white bread, rice as the basis, but also including veggies and other IF safely. I've also been running every morning for a minimum of 30 minutes. My morning runs are getting longer and faster, but I see no results in my waistline! I need to lose about 10 pounds just for overall health. I have no desire to be super skinny.

I know there's a lot of data to back up why the white carbs we eat don't cause weight gain. However, I ate a gluten-free diet for about a year and a half (because I mistakenly thought that was the problem) before this. I'm wondering if my body is holding onto all the calories from the breads I've started eating again.

I've seen a lot of posts where people have effortlessly lost weight on the IBS diet. But I wasn't eating badly before - I was a vegetarian on a gluten-free diet. So I'm wondering if this new diet is actually worse for my waistline in comparison.

--------------------
Best,
Lauren
IBS-A

Edited by ltruss (09/07/06 11:31 AM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

well it IS possible... new
      #281197 - 09/07/06 11:55 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

I know Heather has a lot of good info backing up the idea that this diet doesn't cause weight gain, and in all I think she's totally right. This is an extremely healthy diet, and Atkins & Co.'s claims that "CARBS MAKE YOU FAT AHHHH!" are also a whole lot of bunk in my opinion.

That said, the KINDS of carbs you're eating can contribute to or help alleviate weight gain... White breads contain a lot of sugars (carbohydrates are sugars) compared to other carb-foods like whole grains and even rices and pastsa and studies have shown that this can contribute to weight gain (because your insulin spikes etc.). Particularly if you've just switched from a gluten-free diet, and adding white breads back in is the major change you've made when you noticed weight gain, I'd say yes it is possible that having a diet heavy in white flour/breads might be contributing.

Do you know how mnay calories you're eating? Breads can be very calorie dense so I think it's *very* possible that you're eating more calories on your new diet than your were before. (You can count your calories on sites like FitDay. Try doing a sample day of how you ate before and another sample day of how you're eating now and compare the # of calories.)

Personally I follow the IBS diet to a "tee" but I don't rely much on white breads for my SF. Instead I eat a lot of white rice, pastas, quinoa, and SF veggies instead.

HTH

Re: well it IS possible... new
      #281219 - 09/07/06 01:16 PM
ltruss

I probably am eating more calories now than I was on the gluten-free diet. I'm still pretty new at this, so I think I've really been using bread as my staple. Maybe the weight issue could be fixed by using more pasta, rice, SF veggies.

Do you eat the breads from Heather's cook book? I've been eating the zucchini bread and banana bread as snacks a couple times a day... do you think this is a bad idea? I thought it was extra healthy since it's made according to her recipe... but maybe I need to cut down?

--------------------
Best,
Lauren
IBS-A

Re: well it IS possible... new
      #281256 - 09/07/06 07:08 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

aha! yeah those breads are verrry high calorie for breads and a few times a day... well, that's a lot of calories I'm not saying don't eat them -- they're great and healthy too, but they do have a fair amount of sugar in them so you should consider them treats maybe but not staples. I do eat them, but I only make them once a month or so and I'd only have ~1 slice a day. But yeah, they are gooooooood

That's it then! new
      #281277 - 09/08/06 05:57 AM
ltruss

Thank you for your help. No more tasty breads for me unless I'm treating myself. And I'm also going to try using rice, potatoes and root veggies as my staples, thereby cutting out some of my bread. Hopefully this will do the trick!

--------------------
Best,
Lauren
IBS-A

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 191 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2212

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review