Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
*cries* Gained more weight... Need some encouragement
      #212483 - 09/11/05 08:25 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi guys,

Today marks the one month mark since I have started exercising more regularly. Every week, I have done the weight circuit at least twice and have done at least one other session of exercising where I do just cardio. Some weeks I have only taken one day off, but I have gone done AT LEAST three times a week...

So far my weight has gone like this..
Week 1 - Gained One Pound
Week 2 - Lost 3.5 Pounds
Week 3 - Gained 3 Pounds
Week 4 - Gained 1.5 Pounds.

That means in total, I have gained 2.5 pounds since I started. People say things like "It's just water, maybe" or "it's muscle gain" but I am having a hard time with both of those excuses. Number one, I don't look or feel like I have gained any muscle and I have only been doing this a month so I HIGHLY doubt I have just gained on muscle on not lost anything. Number two, the water thing makes some sense for day to day weight changes, but to gain after A MONTH??

I feel so discouraged and like just giving up completely. After everything I have been through with my body in the last 20 years, I feel like I just have absolutely no control over it. I have no control over my weight, my bad skin, my IBS, my dental problems, everything..

I talked to my trainer, she told me to stop using the scale at the gym as they are doing renovations and the floors are uneven and they keep moving it around. She also told me to do more cardio and discouraged me from trying to do more lunge/squats because of my bad knees.

I'm sorry to be a big downer, I have another dental apartment tomorrow and a doctors appointment and I am just feeling really crappy overall and that just made me really sad.
In two weeks time, I am going to go get my body comp done again but I am totally dreading it.

You guys are all great, any encouragement or suggestions would be appreciated.. although I do just feel kind of hopeless at this point.

Thanks all!
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: *cries* Gained more weight... Need some encouragement new
      #212500 - 09/11/05 09:35 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Awww that sucks. That can be so discouraging

Steph - can you ditch the scale? Honestly, it's really not a very accurate way of tracking your progress, plus it can be discouraging. You're probably right - water weight (hormones!) and muscle gain are probably playing part here. Plus the scale might be a bit screwed up like your trainer said.

If you CAN quit weighing yourself (I know some people really need it) a much better way to track your progress is by how you FEEL, how you look in the mirror, how your jeans are fitting etc... Instead of getting upset over largely arbitrary numbers. My bet? You'll find on your next body comp test that you've lost a little body fat... despite the scale #s going up. That's my guess.

Anyway, I hope that helps a bit. Try to cheer up And of course feel free to vent to us any time! Many hugs!!!

#212510 - 09/11/05 10:27 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Quote:

Awww that sucks. That can be so discouraging
*sulks* SO discouraging. I mean, I wasn't expecting miracles but I at least would have liked to not have GAINED weight! I'll get over it, just can't help feeling pretty blaaaah right now.

Steph - can you ditch the scale? Honestly, it's really not a very accurate way of tracking your progress, plus it can be discouraging...
If you CAN quit weighing yourself (I know some people really need it) a much better way to track your progress is by how you FEEL, how you look in the mirror, how your jeans are fitting etc... Instead of getting upset over largely arbitrary numbers.

Yeah, I do feel like the scale isn't a great way to monitor things. Right now, I don't let myself weigh myself more than once a week and that's only once at the gym to try and track my progress. The reason for that is mostly 'cause I am supposed to lose the specific number of pounds for my surgery, so I feel like I would be kind of confused without it.
My biggest frustration comes from the fact that not only are the numbers on the scale going up, but I DON'T feel any better. In the mirror, I feel uncomfortable and gross. I feel like I don't look any better, and I definitely don't feel any better. My clothes all still fit really close, and are uncomfortable too... I just want to see SOME positive change, you know?

My bet? You'll find on your next body comp test that you've lost a little body fat... despite the scale #s going up. That's my guess.
I really hope so, but I don't want to get my hopes up 'cause I know that if I do and they show the same (or worse!) I will feel really defeated. That's why I put it off for another 2 weeks, I just don't want to see the results if they aren't good.
Anyway, I hope that helps a bit. Try to cheer up And of course feel free to vent to us any time! Many hugs!!!
**hugs** It does help, thanks as always! Sometimes just venting it out makes me feel better. I'm sure that by tomorrow I will feel a little better (or at least distracted by appointments and nitrous (sp) gas, haha), but now I just needed a little whinge.
Thanks very much!!
Cheers,
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

#212511 - 09/11/05 10:29 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Aw Steph, I'm sorry I know how frustrating that can be. I agree with Laurel, that if you can stop weighing yourself, you probably should. I swear the stress alone of stepping on the scale makes it go up sometimes!

I'm not the best one to talk, I'm trying desperately to part with my scale and I just can't do it, despite everyone encouraging me to go more with how clothes fit...even measuring inches...it's just weight is so unpredictable.

I'm sure if you keep at it you'll start to see results. Are you eating more yet? Because if you're still consuming way too few calories that could be slowing your progress.

hang in there (and good luck with the dentist)
Kelly

#212516 - 09/12/05 02:56 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Hugs Stephie. I know its so hard, remember when Alicia was doing her WW and having no luck even though she was doing tons of cardio and starving herself. I'm sure she will pass on the tips that everyone gave her that put her on the right track, if I remember correctly it was Shell and Laurel who helped her out.

Sorry you are going through such a hard time at the moment.

Hugs,

S

--------------------
S.

Re: Ditching the Scale new
      #212541 - 09/12/05 06:40 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Confession: I don't own a scale. It ruins my day. I only jump on the scale when I see my doctor. I don't have a weight gaining problem--rather the opposite. I struggle to keep up with myself. I think daily weighing rituals are a tyranny of pain and shame and really only stress you out. Often when we're stressed out re: weight/body image our behaviour ends up being self-defeating. So...ditch the scale. Weigh in monthly.

A saner way to 'judge' is to go by how your jeans feel/fit. Honestly!

Stephie, you're also working out and muscle not only weighs more than fat but looks a heck of a lot better. Keep that in check. Also, you are hormonally functional and that's a factor re: water retention/bloating...you know, the 'female tides.'

Keep your chin up. Don't be discouraged. Rather empower yourself via healthy eating strategies and nutrition and exercise. It's only a number and the more you focus on it, the more counter-productive it will become. Why ruin your day?

Kate.

Re: Ditching the Scale new
      #212576 - 09/12/05 08:01 AM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

I don't own a scale either, because I know I would only torture myself and overanalyze everything. If I ever weigh myself it's at the gym (and I haven't been in months, because I've been running/biking instead) or the doctor. I go by how my clothes feel. I think I'm really prone to the whole hormonal thing, since my best week for a semi-flat stomach is the week after my period--always. Go figure.

When I first started working out REALLY well, it took a while to notice a difference. I saw a muscle in my leg and couldn't get over it! So it does take time.

If you are positive that you are really eating/working out in a way that SHOULD cause some weight loss, might want to consider getting your thyroid checked---or have you already done that?

Otherwise, just try to keep positive. You know you're doing something healthy at least---even if you can't see visible results yet, it's doing your body good.

--------------------

I don't own a scale either new
      #212582 - 09/12/05 08:18 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I only get weighed at the doctors office. I also suggest the thyroid test.

Steph, do you remember how Alicia (Hans Solo) struggled in the beginning and got so discouraged? Here's an early post web page and here's a later post web page But, she eventually started to lose....don't give up.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#212618 - 09/12/05 09:54 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Sorry your so frustrated Steph... Laurel said it well... don't worry about that darn scale.... I bet you will be surprised when you have your body comp done... just listen to your trainer and keep at it... it!! Just FYI my weight has gone up and down a lot in the last couple of months and I was getting PISSED and depressed about it.... stopped weighing in...and not only am I SEEING AND FEELING the difference in my body...so are others. I know you can do it Steph!!

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#212805 - 09/12/05 07:49 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Awww... Stephie. I know it's frustrating. I've seen my weight inch up as well.

I would say 2 things:

1. Up the cardio. If you're only doing it once a week that's not really enough. BUT!!!
2. The exercise that you're doing is good for you, your heart, et all, even if you can't see the results on the outside. So don't give up. Just don't think about it all in terms of aesthetics.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 49 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 18155

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review