All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Re: Metabolism Question/not enough calories new
      #199376 - 07/26/05 07:57 AM
gracipie

Reged: 07/26/05

Melissa,
I agree that 1000 calories is not enough. Your metabolism actually slows down. I too was at 167 a couple of months ago. I started aerobic walking 3+ miles/night (leslie sansone videos - they're great!), dieting, and still was not losing!!! Then I read that you are not supposed to reduce caloric intake below 1200 cal/day (to prevent your metabolism from going into "starvation mode").

I added up what I was eating - only 1100 cal/day. I started adding another snack or two and bumped it up to between 1350 and 1450 cal/day. Then I started losing weight! So far I have lost 10 pounds

Try adding some healthy snacks and increase your intake to at least 1200 calories. Good luck!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Metabolism Question/oops! I meant Stephie not Melissa new
      #199377 - 07/26/05 07:58 AM
gracipie

Reged: 07/26/05

Oops! I meant Stephie - I don't know where I got Melissa....!

Re: Just a couple more questions, promise!! new
      #199381 - 07/26/05 08:12 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

No worries Steph! I like to help!

Sorry I think I misunderstood... I meant FIRST work yourself back up to a 'normal' calorie range for you - so I don't know what that is but WAY more than 1000! Probably in the range of 1600-1800? Do that first, before you do anything else. That's really important, as others have mentioned (starvation mode etc...)! Then you can try to see what you need to eat to lose. IFf you have a high percentage of bodyfat (i.e. less muscle) you will need to eat less, but don't drop too low (DEFINITELY not below 1200 and you probably won't even need to approach that...).

Try not to stress too much about your weight right now though - I know it's difficult with the surgery on your mind and stuff, but you need to focus on getting your appetite back (when your body knows it's ready) and getting back into regular eating patterns. Obviously this is not just important for any weight loss goals, but also for your health! When will you be done with all this dentist stuff?

I would say try to get back up to 1800ish for a few days to a week, eating really well and strict etc. and see how the scale responds. Then if nothing, after a week or so, try dropping to 1600 for say, two weeks, and see how that goes. Again, eating well ('clean' as the say - lots of whole, healthy foods and very few to no processed foods) and exercising as much as you can. Don't resort to dropping your calories until you can say that you had a really good week-2 weeks with regards to eating clean and exercising (that's good advice for anyone!)

Also Kelly had a really good point about antidepressants - are you still taking them? If so count that as another hurdle against you From what I've read, antidepressants don't *need* to make you gain weight, but it's really, really easy to gain weight when you're on them. You kind of just have to be aware that this isn't necessarily your body that's craving that extra serving but rather the drugs that are telling your body that... i.e. you have to be aware that those drugs might have an effect on your weight (or already have) and try to 'cut them off at the pass' so to speak. Does that make sense? Really that's just from what I've read though, because I've never been on ADs so I don't claim to be an expert there or anything...

Nope, not on anti-depressants anymore(thank goodness!)... new
      #199583 - 07/26/05 03:43 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

so I know it can't be that. I am wondering that still plays a part since I went off them recently (though more than a month ago), but I just don't really know.
The only thing I am taking right now is birth control pill, and then I am back on the Asacol (Colitis med). I am pretty sure the Colitis med doesn't do anything weight wise 'cause I was off it for the month before my colonoscopy and didn't notice any changes. And the bcp? Even if it is, I'm not havin' any babies so it stays!

--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Amy new
      #199585 - 07/26/05 03:45 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi Amy,
Thanks for the reply.
I totally agree, I KNOW that I am not eating enough right now and if I am only gaining weight, that seems like pretty much conclusive evidence to me!
I am trying to eat more, but like today I am really having to force myself as I don't feel at all hungry. Hopefully, the more I start eating the more hungry I will get when I stop and I will WANT to eat again.
I am doing better today, though, so hopefully it is just a step in the right direction!
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Re: Nope, not on anti-depressants anymore(thank goodness!)... new
      #199707 - 07/26/05 10:37 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Oh ok! Well you may be right that they are still affecting you since you just went off them recently, but no matter. No need to pinpoint the problem really - the more meds you're on (and need to be on) the more difficult and futile that becomes. Just keep working at it! You'll lose that weight in no time, I know it!

(As a side note re: bcp, when I went on it for the first time I gained almost 15 lbs in a month - which was a lot for my small frame (I went from 115 to almost 130 in a matter of weeks, it was crazy). Luckily after a few months I lost pretty much all of it without effort and have since changed bcp brands a few times with no weight gain at all. It affects everyone differently I think and different brands too etc...)

Re: Amy new
      #199718 - 07/27/05 03:26 AM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

Yep. Once your appetitie goes it seems to want to NEVER come back I'm still struggling every day to get breakfast in (and at the risk of getting yelled at still only manage it once or twice a week. Lunch I'm not so good with either although I do try. Sigh, it'd be nice if food wasn't such a chore wouldn't it? Good luck. I'll keep checking in to see how you're going

--------------------
Amy

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 60 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8217

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review