All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
question about arms..
      #188259 - 06/22/05 09:37 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

ok so.. I have a question, but I'm not sure if anyone will know the answer..

I listened to all the advice out there about how if girls lift weights they won't get big arms and thats its just not possible, but it was possible for me.

I was only using weights at a muscle conditioning class for women 2x a week for one hour at most (5pounds was the heaviest). well I noticed my arms were getting bigger and that all my button downs etc dont' even fit on the arms anymore and was getting really discouraged. I didn't say anything.. but the next time my sister saw me after that (we only see each other once a month about) she was shocked over the size of my arms, and my dad told my mom to tell me to stop working out as much.. then my mom told me I must have her genes which means working out gives you big arms and shoulders. (and my family are very far from judgemental and would never say anything to me if they weren't genuinely concerned.

well I hate it. I stopped lifting weights a month ago and they've gone down a little bit but what are some other ways to get your arms smaller. Hard question I know.. but I'm wondering if anyone's personal trainers have given them tips because basically I look like a beast and I hate it. I mean being muscular is fine.. but not so much so that you look fatter than you did before you even starting working out, and none of your clothes fit in the arms anymore.

HELLLLP!!!

--------------------

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: question about arms.. new
      #188273 - 06/22/05 10:14 AM
tnchawk

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: New Ken, PA

Hmm, well, my mom is a personal trainer and here are some thoughts.....

1) You might try doing more reps w/ lighter weights. That is better for gals than few reps w/ heavy weights. Those tend to build the muscle faster where as the lighter weights will make your muscles appear leaner.

2) Are you doing cardio as well?? Just a thought, as sometimes it takes awhile for the built up muscle to burn the fat that is stored on your body. The cardio will help melt it faster.

3) Are you eating alot of protein?? That will build your muscles too.

I'm not sure if any of that helped, but I wouldn't give up. Seriously, like you said, some women are so paranoid that they will get "big" but you really can't. We don't have the testosterone in our bodies to do so. I would keep with it, but try a lighter weight and more reps. Even water bottles will work. Hope I was helpful!

Christianne

--------------------
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about???

Seconding Christianne! new
      #188312 - 06/22/05 11:25 AM
retrograde

Great advice - everything I was going to say!

Don't stop lifting weights. If you don't want your muscles to look much 'bigger' then switch to lower weights and higher reps. (This is NOT a default prescription for women though... many women can do very well lifting heavy with low reps, but for anyone, women or men, if they're not as interested in building strength or muscle definition and more interested in endurance or weight loss, then high rep sets is the way to go.)

Also make sure you're doing cardio and watching your diet, because that will help burn some fat off your arms (well, all over) and make you look less 'big' and more 'ripped', so to speak.

Re: Seconding Christianne! new
      #188337 - 06/22/05 12:39 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

thanks guys..

what I meant was the my muscles are already really big with only five pound weights. They are defined, but they are too big looking, and everyone around me had noticed and said they look like boy shoulders and arms more than girls.

What I want ideally is to shrink them down a bit.

do you still think lifting litle weight alot is the way to go, because I feel as though lifting the five pounds (which is the heaviest I've gone has made me too musclewoman looking.)

--------------------

#188413 - 06/22/05 05:15 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

My guess is that genetically you are programmed to get muscular arms. My family is pretty like that. My mom (works at walmart garden center) showed me her arms yesterday and wow! and my sister in law is even more prone to it. She doesn't exercise at all because she is naturally thin (hate her) and her arms are very muscular and she looks like a blonde Jennifer Garner. I guess the question is whether it is just your family that thinks they are too much or whether other people would think they are awesome?! (I mean it might be personal opinion)

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#188420 - 06/22/05 05:49 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Nothing is more disgusting than an old lady with FLAGS under her arms!!! Keep those arms lean and mean, toned and built.
Seriously, think LINDA HAMILTON in TERMINATOR 3! Honestly, strong is sexy! Perhaps spend sometime on your legs/torso/butt to sort of balance out the profile? I have these long skinny emaciated spider arms and am jealous of your arms of steel.

#188492 - 06/22/05 09:41 PM
retrograde

That's pretty impressive then, if you're building up that much on just 5 lbs! (I'd KILL for that! lol) Must be genetic, as Tamara said. Personally I think muscular arms on women is really sexy, but again that's just personal opinion.

I'll repeat, but make sure you're doing cardio. Your arms are going to look bigger and more, ahem, 'man-like' if they have some cushioning on them; just the muscle gives a 'leaner' look.

If you're really concerned about it (again, I think strong=sexy but if you don't) then you could stop training your arms, at least for a while, and focus on your back, chest and lower body. Working your upper body without specific moves for your arms is going to be working your arms secondarily (i.e. bench presses use your triceps), but since you're not focussing directly on them that should be ok.

#188520 - 06/23/05 05:23 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

thanks.. its not that I don't want to look strong..

but its gotten to the point that my arms don't even fit in the holes for medium sized shirts, and the rest of me is a small, and always has been a small.. (so basically my whole wardobe doesn't fit unless I majorly stretch out the arms of tshirts.. and forget about button downs without a ton of stretch.

I don't NOT want to look strong, but I don't want to buy a whole new BIGGER wardobe. (I do do cardio.. but I'll try to do more of it to help.. Any cardio you'd reccomend as most helpful?!?!)

--------------------

Ooo, I so sympathize! new
      #188521 - 06/23/05 05:35 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

One year I was in major training for yacht racing and I ended up with shoulders like a professional (male) weight-lifter! And my shoulders aren't exactly very feminine at the best of times...it's totally genetic: all my female cousins on my Dad's side have muscly arms and shoulders and everyone on my Mum's side has muscly legs!

Lots of tiny reps is def. the way to go...even if you're not actually lifting anything! And plenty of cardio. And maybe something like yoga or pilates instead?

I have the same thing... new
      #188563 - 06/23/05 08:19 AM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

My arms get bigger looking when I work out. When I flex, my biceps look pretty big. My lame, jealous SIL actually referred to them to her cousin as "man-arms". But no one else has ever criticized them, in fact, my other friends say "I wish!", so I just decided that oh well, if I wanted to workout and be strong and healthy, and have to deal with slightly bigger arms so be it! I never feel ashamed for looking muscular.
And as for shirts not fitting---same problem here!! Frankly I just think they make some shirts too tight in the arms. That's why I like summer...no sleeves!!
Now if only I could get my abs to look muscular....

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 105 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 11969

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review