All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
List of low cal safe foods
      #186516 - 06/15/05 02:00 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I thought it would be beneficial to make a list of some safe food ideas that are lower in calories. I know of a few but need some help with new ideas- especially for work days.
So please post some low cal choices.

My entries are: cooked baby carrots, little cans of lite fruit, omelet with mushrooms and spinach, blended veggie soup, or root veggie soup.

Also are rice cakes an option to substitute for my normal pretzels?

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: List of low cal safe foods new
      #186538 - 06/15/05 03:45 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I would be careful with the rice cakes. Some of them have popcorn in them - which is absolutely deadly for me.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#186569 - 06/15/05 06:56 PM
Little Minnie

oh yeah I looked at the rice cakes and they are a no go. I hope people can post some low cal ideas!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#186577 - 06/15/05 07:30 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

How about rice crackers, instead? I like the plain salted ones. Most grains and dry cereals are pretty low calorie. Applesauce? Fruit roll-ups/leather? Blended soups, as you mentioned are great and same with homemade brothy rice noodle/veg. soups (you control the contents). Popsicles? Homemade zucchini sticks? These are probably silly ideas--I'm such a simple eater, picky, but plain and simple.

#186597 - 06/15/05 09:24 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

I love my rice cakes. Caramel flavor!MMMMM! Don't seem to bug me either. i think b/c it's puffed.....

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Plain unsalted... new
      #186598 - 06/15/05 09:27 PM
_Willow

why are they a no go?

the caramel may be more worriesome, but never bother me remotely.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

#186601 - 06/15/05 09:55 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

One of my favorite snacks is a corn tortilla with some salt. (Sometimes I'll add avocado to it or chopped tomatoes, but the former adds fat and latter IF.) But the plain corn tortilla, salted, is great to dip in soups and broths.

soy yogurt

Sweets: Gingersnaps, sorbet, banana mixed with a tartier fruit (peeled and chopped apple or pineapple tidbits), angel food cake, Jello gelatin (?)

Thai Kitchen Ginger Rice Noodle (low cal but maybe too high in sodium?)

Toast with a smear (just a bit to make it stick) of LF/FF PB and jam or honey

Hansolo's low-fat, safe macaroni salad (fairly low-cal I think)

Well, broccoli's low cal and I like to cook it well and add it pasta with some soy parmesan, but I know it's a problem for many.

HTH.

#186609 - 06/15/05 10:22 PM
maikko

Reged: 05/30/05
Loc: maryland

I don't usu post in this particular section, but i'll add my 2 cents anyhow
puffins cereal, chex cereal, egg beaters (if you can handle them) baked tortilla chips (you san even make your own!) baked (not fried) ramen, matzo crackers, pretzels (I like soy pretzels) cream of rice, baked lays (i can tolerate 1/2 bag) italian ice/ freezee pops, grilled soy cheese sandwich (no butter), potato soup, barbara's multigrain cereal bars, soy shakes, rice shakes, making your own smoothie.
i'm sure there are some things on here that you couldn't eat, but maybe a few help? Overall, I find calories are spared when i cook things from scratch, though i understand that not always possible!!
I also enjoy rice crakers, though the kind i get are puffed rice only, and they never bother me...

--------------------
--maikko
IBS-A, mostly C-- many foods intolerant

#186611 - 06/15/05 10:25 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I'm probably doubling up here (being lazy) but...

...instant oatmeal.
...frozen summer fruits (pretty safe in smoothies or oatmeal after being nuked).
...plain crackers.
...ADBs? I was surprised at how low-cal these are.
...mushroom risotto.
...(for the Brits) Tesco's Healthy Eating Oven Chips - surprisigly low-fat and low-cal!

#186617 - 06/15/05 10:44 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

This is a really good idea, LM. My brain is way too fried right now but I'll think about this and come up with some to post tomorrow morning!

re: rice cakes; I've found that lately lots of brands have been adding in brown rice (so they can say on the packages how healthy they are, most likely), like Quakers for example. They just kind of snuck it in there - it took me a few weeks to figure it out!

rice cakes new
      #186626 - 06/16/05 05:37 AM
Little Minnie

In the overview I did of the choices (I hadn't looked at them for ages until last night) they are all made with brown rice and/or popcorn. I am going to avoid the brown rice.

--------------------

Out of interest....how many cals r in ADB's?? n/t new
      #186627 - 06/16/05 05:43 AM
Natalie1985

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: UK - Leeds for uni, Merseyside for home!

--------------------
Natalie

131 if it's 24 brownies per batch! - nt new
      #186650 - 06/16/05 07:57 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

#186682 - 06/16/05 11:23 AM
Kristin940

Reged: 05/04/05
Loc: Massachusetts

Genisoy Apple Cinnamon and Lightly salted soy crisps, Saltines, Arrowroot Crackers, frozen banana chunks...

Heather said that brown rice are the safest forms of IF. new
      #186710 - 06/16/05 01:07 PM
_Willow

our bodies can tolerate brown rice better than almost any IF. so, I'm stickin to my guns and can't give em up!

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Question...ramen... new
      #186712 - 06/16/05 01:10 PM
_Willow

I loooove my Ichiban! But they are HUGELY high in fat! Do they bohter any of you? I have nrver noticed much correlation...but I think I'm starting to boil the noodles, and then drain them(get out some of the fat, then put in hot new water, and then the flavor. What do you think? safe or no?

Ps- we have the same body! IBS-A, mostly C, lots of food makes me whine too!

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 57 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6102

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review