All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Ab workouts
      #181109 - 05/25/05 09:41 AM
AlyssaKaye

Reged: 03/21/05
Loc: USA

Has anyone found that working to tone their abs has helped or hurt their IBS?

I used to do many many crunches a day, but I quit when my IBS started because I was already so crampy (D) that I just couldn't do it. Aside from the misery of doing it, would crunches and other ab exercises help/ hurt during a day of a D attack, or just overall?

Also, would having more toned abs keep the bloating in check so that my pants size would me more constant throughout the day, or would it just make the bloating more uncomfortable with there being something more solid to push against?

I know many of you work out much more than I ever had, but I can't really remember/ find anyone talking specifically about ab work relating to IBS (not just relating to shape or weightloss).

--------------------
~~~Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.~~~

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Ab workouts new
      #181195 - 05/25/05 01:13 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

I don't find this personally... but have you tried doing a search of this (on the fitness board)? I seem to remember that this was discussed not that long ago...? HTH

Yep new
      #181238 - 05/25/05 04:19 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Big time!
When I was really unstable, I was doing a lot more exercise than I do now. I was trying to do a lot of situps because I had lost so much weight, and thought it'd be a perfect time to get a real nice belly.
Well, it backfired. Because I was so unstable, the muscle soreness that came along the day after all the ab exercises made any attacks way worse.
That was, however, when I was having almost daily attacked where my stomach would cramp up reeeeeeally badly. When I was having a really bad D attack and my stomach would cramp up, having the sore muscles from the situps made it feel 10 times worse.
Once I got stable, though, and had less frequent attacks I managed to do ab exercises without problems. The ab exercises didn't CAUSE problems for me, they just made attacks that I would have had anyway a lot more painful.

Hope this helps!
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Re: Ab workouts new
      #181246 - 05/25/05 04:35 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I have found that I do feel better from doing my crunches. Using an exercise ball has really trimmed my waist- one inch. And I feel overall less bloated now. I feel sometimes I would be very bloated if I was the size I used to be. I don't think many people feel better when they trim up though. I am the only one I have heard say so.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 74 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1988

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review