All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Re: I wholeheartedly second this! Please read this thread! new
      #163821 - 03/24/05 03:09 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

So how does this all work for people on low carb diets? Explain.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I'm so glad new
      #163822 - 03/24/05 03:14 PM
Little Minnie

you two are similar height and weight and can do the math for me! (I am heaviest of all though- for now. )

I figure work days I use 2300 cals and off days with exercise of 40 minutes I use 2000 maybe. I am trying to lose 3 1/2 more pounds by April 14th so hopefully everything is up to par.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: Medical assistance for losing weight HEALTHILY..... new
      #163825 - 03/24/05 03:31 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

You know what I suggest Ruchie? A functional trainer. My trainer at the gym isn't one of those who wants you to lift tons of weight or get bulky. He did a full fitness assessment and measured my body fat and so on. He referred my husband (who's about 12 pounds under healthy weight) to a nutritionist. We do exercises that improve balance, core stability, but they're not horrible. He also does stuff with muscle problems and fibro.

I asked him if there was a particular name and he said it was just called Functional training, but there are certifications and things he had to get.

#163839 - 03/24/05 05:16 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Erm... don't want to say this but.... low carb diets have actually been shown to speed up metabolism. This is because it requires more energy (calories) for the body to metabolize protein than it does carbs.

To me this is a good reason to eat more protein - but NOT a good reason to go on a low carb diet.

Is that sort of what you were asking Minne?

Ruchie new
      #163855 - 03/24/05 06:35 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

I wouldn't worry too much about it Ruchie - you're doing exercise and getting around 1900 calories a day, right?

If you did want to look into a professional, you can talk to your GP next time you see her/him for tips. I'd also highly recommend naturopaths - I went to one a few times and was really impressed (would still be going but can't really afford it any more ) . Or, many clinics have nutritionists as well. You could find a nutritionist or naturopath you're comfortable with and see her/him regularly to help monitor your weight loss.

Despite the way this thread may be making it sound weight loss doesn't have to be dangerous. When it comes to weight loss, slowly = safely. Do it slowly and don't expect too much from your body immediatley (none of this lose 10 lbs in a weekend! stuff) and you should have nothing to worry about!

ps Just got your email now (went in my junk mail, arg) so I'll email you back tonight or tomorrow!

#163865 - 03/24/05 07:45 PM
Little Minnie

Very interesting. Yet they must slow metabolism or something because the low carbers complain about putting weight back on so easily. Like Drew Barrymore said, 'you just eat a crouton and you puff up.'

--------------------

I didn't see this yesterday.... new
      #164103 - 03/25/05 03:33 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Yes, I do believe that 1200 calories is probably too few calories. That online calculation that you did is probably a lot closer to what you need on a daily basis. I know mine is in the 1700-1750 range, and that's before I compensate for any exercise. The younger, taller, heavier, and/or more active your lifestyle is, the more calories you need just to function.

I think the key to eating more, especially at first, is to eat a little more often. Every 3 hours is already pretty good, but every 2 hours gives you more opportunities to get calories. I'm not saying you should immediately do 200-calorie mini-meals every 2 hours, but maybe continue your current schedule, throwing in another smaller snack here and there. Eventually you'll definitely be able to eat more without feeling sick.

Re: I didn't see this yesterday.... new
      #164108 - 03/25/05 03:55 PM
AlyssaKaye

Reged: 03/21/05
Loc: USA

Yep, I'm working on it. The other problem is that eating is consuming so darn much of the day now. The work I do involves *allot* of typing, so it's just not very productive to eat and work at the same time. Maybe I'll eat more in the evenings, or weekends, or such, just make a bit more of an effort to take the time to fit it in. Also, what do you do in situations where it is truly inappropriate to eat, but where you have to be there for quite a good block of time. For instance, I eat before I go to church, and we always go out to lunch together immediately after (another hurdle in itself!) but that's still a good 5 hours or so sometimes between meals. And at least right now, I honestly can't eat anymore at once before I go. Or when "eating time" comes in the middle of business meeting that you are running, or a broadway show, or some other type of event where it would just be truly inappropriate? I mean, in some cases, the people invovled would be quite understanding, but in others, I'm really not in the position to ask.

My sister has already laughed at me. I've been behind with my work, so I've been working furiously every possible moment, excepting faithfully coming down to eat every three hours. I just walked down to get some papers from the printer and she said "What are you doing, it's not "feeding time" yet?!" LOL. Well, at least that shows I've been consistent, hehe.

Thanks again for all your wisdom, it's truly making a difference.

--------------------
~~~Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.~~~

LOL!! new
      #164112 - 03/25/05 04:17 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I've gotten the "grazing" comments... time for a feeding... even a couple of jokes about how it might be easier to strap a feed bag on my face. Haha. (Hey, might be onto something there... just kidding!)

I think in those instances where it would be inappropriate to eat, the best thing to do is not eat. I would definitely not eat in church. What I *would* consider doing is packing a few crackers or something of the sort to quickly snack down on before the lunch afterwards. It's not a calorie thing, but rather, if you go that long without eating, sometimes your stomach can be a little touchy if you immediately put a big meal into it.

Now that I see your work situation, it might be a more practical idea to *slowly* increase the amount you eat at your "feedings". By "slowly" I mean taking maybe 2 of those mini-meals and adding 100 calories apiece to each of them. Give that a few days, then do it again with another 2. 100 calories isn't much - you're talking a slice of bread with a thin scrape of jam or margarine, a serving of dry cereal, a banana, 2 graham crackers - so it shouldn't be enough extra to make you feel ill. Your body will get used to the additional food pretty quickly.

I really want to emphasize that you're doing it right, by the way. Small amounts often is definitely the way to go!

For e_mcmaster.. or anybody with advice new
      #164116 - 03/25/05 04:42 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi there,
I was just wondering if I could ask you a few questions...
I have been having a really hard time with my weight lately. When I was really sick with my IBS about a year ago I lost loads of weight without really noticing it because I wasn't doing it on purpose. My weight dropped from about 140 to about 125 lbs.
Once I got more stable, and could eat stuff other than rice I gained back the weight I'd lost over the past several months _really_ rapidly. Like, I think I gained about 12 lbs in 3 weeks and then kept going up from there.
Ever since, my weight has basically been slowly increasing and increasing. I have been counting calories, my budget usually seems to be around 1300-1500 calories.. but then I see that might not be wise. I am exercising more (mostly cardio) and yet my weight continues to slowly climb upwards.
I am now up to 163 lbs and I am really unhappy about all this weight gain but I feel lost for what I should do now. I feel like I eat fairly healthy food (way more healthy than I ever did before) but my weight has never gone above 140 lbs before and I feel really uncomfortable in my own body.

What should I do? Should I eat more? Eat less? I don't get it.
I am on two anti-depressants (one of which hasn't helped me at all and I really want to go off but my doc says it's a bad idea), and medication for Colitis which apparently can all effect your weight. Does this mean I should eat even less?
I feel so confused.
Any suggestions would be great!!
Thanks so much if you read this!
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 152 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 15908

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review