All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
Re: I have a fitness/working out question new
      #158311 - 03/08/05 11:30 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

More great advise Laurel.... thanks for your imput here!!

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#158353 - 03/08/05 12:30 PM
Jane Doe

Reged: 03/07/05
Loc: Minnesota, USA

I lost nearly 20 lbs last year, and it was definitely due to less eating in part; I went from a size 8/10 to a 4/6. However, if I were to also sit and think about it, my lifestyle has significantly changed due to my current boyfriend. He doesn't drink. We ended the phase where we went out to eat all the time, and have spent since last summer most of our Monday and Friday nights at the gym. While I've always exercised 4+ times weekly, when I am in a romantic relatioship, usually restaurants play a bigger role in my life. I spent from 2000 to 2003 wondering why I couldn't lose weight when I was always at the gym! It's hard to control calories and alcohol when out on the town by the way. I didn't realize, but I spent a good deal of my 20's (honestly, most) drinking and having fun with friends. In fact, when I tried to curb my drinking it was hard because all of our social interactions involved booze. So while I've in no way become a hermit at 30, I have really cut down on alcohol, mostly because it's just not around anymore, and again, someone significant in my life doesn't really care for it. I have no idea about your social life, but it seems like I wasn't even aware how much drinking I was doing, I used to drink all the time at home, even by myself, but those calories really add up. Basically, from my own 2 cents, you may want to cut alcohol out for awhile and see how that works out for you. Good luck!

--------------------
Jane Doe

Re: Retrograde new
      #158359 - 03/08/05 12:41 PM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Lifting lighter weight for more reps will burn fat not make you bulk up so don't worry about that.

You see those guys in the gym that lift HUGE weights for just 4-5 reps? Well they're trying to bulk up....stick to the lighter weights with more reps and you'll burn fat fast.

Your diet is also important though and just working out but eating really bad stuff isn't going to give you results.

Lies about weight lifting, bulking up and fat loss....!!!!! new
      #158429 - 03/08/05 03:53 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Ughh!! I'm sorry but this is one of my HUGEST pet peeves.

Clarification: lifting heavy will NOT make women 'bulk up' or get any 'gross' looking huge muscles. There's this stupid myth out there that says that lifting heavy weights will somehow overdevelop women's muscles. Total garbage! Women's bodies are not built to have those kind of muscles that men have - bulky masculine muscles etc. We just don't have those hormones. The simple fact is that the heavier you lift, the stronger your muscles will get, and the more able and efficient your body will be to burn fat. Simple as that. This is from a really good website, which says it better than I'm trying to here:

Quote:

LIE: Weight training will make you huge and masculine.

Probably the worst lie ever. People look at women bodybuilders and say, "Ohmigawd, they're huge and if I lift anything heavy I'll look like that too." Nope. In general, women are not able to build monstrous muscle mass in the same manner as men, due to a number of physiological factors. It's a rare woman that can become a competitive bodybuilder, and to get that big she has to combine genetics, extensive long-term training, strict diet, and supplementation (legal or otherwise).

If you enjoy watching bodybuilding, have a look at the tested (natural, i.e. steroid free) shows versus the untested (anything goes) shows. You will notice a great difference in the builds of the women onstage. A natural female bodybuilder is lean, almost wiry, and certainly not the mythical monsters whom exercising women fear resembling (have a look at my reader letters page to see some examples). Also, women bodybuilders do not normally have the low levels of bodyfat that they do while in competition. Low bodyfat makes muscles stand out, and it changes the contours of the face, making jawlines and cheekbones prominent, which contributes to a rather unnatural look. Bodybuilders about to go on stage for a competition look quite odd, actually, due to dehydration, extremely low bodyfat, and deep tans. During the offseason, competitors' bodyfat is higher, and in clothing, most wouldn't stand out as unusual in any way.

The average woman (that's you) cannot achieve a masculine monster look simply through strength training. You're not going to wake up after a workout and be huge. You don't believe me? OK, then, try to get huge. Just try. And see how far you get.

And also, on lifting to lose weight...

Quote:

Weight training is a must for long term fat loss

One of the stupidest pieces of advice I've heard is that overweight people shouldn't weight train because it will build muscle that will push the fat out more. It's very hard to build that kind of muscle mass in a short time, or ever. In fact overweight folks are perfect candidates for weight training.

Any loss of bodyweight involves a loss of both fat and muscle. The key is to maximize the fat loss and minimize the muscle loss. You do this through both your diet and your training. In terms of training, cardio alone doesn't cut it. Extended bouts of cardio are catabolic to muscle, which means they contribute to muscle mass loss. So you might lose some fat, but in the long term, your metabolism is compromised because you've lost muscle too. For long term body recomposition, nothing seems to get results that measure up to weight training combined with other activity (if desired) and sensible nutrition.

Weight training has other benefits besides retention of muscle. It helps keep you motivated as you see strength gains quickly, as most newbies do. Many folks report that strengthening the muscles results in less joint pain and less difficulty in moving around.

This doesn't mean you should run into the gym and start killing yourself. The beauty of weight training is that it can be easily modified to every trainee's needs, and adjusted as the trainee becomes stronger and more familiar with technique. Many overweight beginners are surprised to discover how strong they actually are.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to explode on you or aything Kimm! This is just a total MYTH that gets fed to women when they start lifting weights that's totally not true. It just toally irks me to see women spending so much time in the gym and only trying these teeny tiny little weights for a million reps! It's a total waste of time.

Ok stepping off my soap box now... thanks for listening!

Re: Lies about weight lifting, bulking up and fat loss....!!!!! new
      #158442 - 03/08/05 04:23 PM
Shell Marr

Quote:

Ughh!! I'm sorry but this is one of my HUGEST pet peeves.

Clarification: lifting heavy will NOT make women 'bulk up' or get any 'gross' looking huge muscles. There's this stupid myth out there that says that lifting heavy weights will somehow overdevelop women's muscles. Total garbage! Women's bodies are not built to have those kind of muscles that men have - bulky masculine muscles etc. We just don't have those hormones. The simple fact is that the heavier you lift, the stronger your muscles will get, and the more able and efficient your body will be to burn fat. Simple as that. This is from a really good website, which says it better than I'm trying to here:

Quote:

LIE: Weight training will make you huge and masculine.

Probably the worst lie ever. People look at women bodybuilders and say, "Ohmigawd, they're huge and if I lift anything heavy I'll look like that too." Nope. In general, women are not able to build monstrous muscle mass in the same manner as men, due to a number of physiological factors. It's a rare woman that can become a competitive bodybuilder, and to get that big she has to combine genetics, extensive long-term training, strict diet, and supplementation (legal or otherwise).

If you enjoy watching bodybuilding, have a look at the tested (natural, i.e. steroid free) shows versus the untested (anything goes) shows. You will notice a great difference in the builds of the women onstage. A natural female bodybuilder is lean, almost wiry, and certainly not the mythical monsters whom exercising women fear resembling (have a look at my reader letters page to see some examples). Also, women bodybuilders do not normally have the low levels of bodyfat that they do while in competition. Low bodyfat makes muscles stand out, and it changes the contours of the face, making jawlines and cheekbones prominent, which contributes to a rather unnatural look. Bodybuilders about to go on stage for a competition look quite odd, actually, due to dehydration, extremely low bodyfat, and deep tans. During the offseason, competitors' bodyfat is higher, and in clothing, most wouldn't stand out as unusual in any way.

The average woman (that's you) cannot achieve a masculine monster look simply through strength training. You're not going to wake up after a workout and be huge. You don't believe me? OK, then, try to get huge. Just try. And see how far you get.

And also, on lifting to lose weight...

Quote:

Weight training is a must for long term fat loss

One of the stupidest pieces of advice I've heard is that overweight people shouldn't weight train because it will build muscle that will push the fat out more. It's very hard to build that kind of muscle mass in a short time, or ever. In fact overweight folks are perfect candidates for weight training.

Any loss of bodyweight involves a loss of both fat and muscle. The key is to maximize the fat loss and minimize the muscle loss. You do this through both your diet and your training. In terms of training, cardio alone doesn't cut it. Extended bouts of cardio are catabolic to muscle, which means they contribute to muscle mass loss. So you might lose some fat, but in the long term, your metabolism is compromised because you've lost muscle too. For long term body recomposition, nothing seems to get results that measure up to weight training combined with other activity (if desired) and sensible nutrition.

Weight training has other benefits besides retention of muscle. It helps keep you motivated as you see strength gains quickly, as most newbies do. Many folks report that strengthening the muscles results in less joint pain and less difficulty in moving around.

This doesn't mean you should run into the gym and start killing yourself. The beauty of weight training is that it can be easily modified to every trainee's needs, and adjusted as the trainee becomes stronger and more familiar with technique. Many overweight beginners are surprised to discover how strong they actually are.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to explode on you or aything Kimm! This is just a total MYTH that gets fed to women when they start lifting weights that's totally not true. It just toally irks me to see women spending so much time in the gym and only trying these teeny tiny little weights for a million reps! It's a total waste of time.

Ok stepping off my soap box now... thanks for listening!

OUTSTANDING INFO!! I agree with you I use 8-10# dumbells in my class when the others are using 3-6...I don't know what they are getting out of it... and tiny tinny little weights on the bars... I load my up... PUSH yourself....if it's too much then take the weight off... In my body scuplting class I'm going to tonight... I go a little lighter 6# because she does not have us count reps but rather we do TIME and fatige the muscles...THEN do cardio after... but my goal is to burn fat, and tone!!

My question is.... about abs.... if you have a big tire around the waist (like I still kinda do) is a lot of ab work really helping or should I wait until most of the tire is gone??

--------------------

Abs and the 'spare tire'... new
      #158449 - 03/08/05 04:41 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Quote:

My question is.... about abs.... if you have a big tire around the waist (like I still kinda do) is a lot of ab work really helping or should I wait until most of the tire is gone??

No reason to wait on strength training (for any body part, including abs) - the stronger your muscles, the more your body will be at burning calories because it boosts your metabolism.

Unfortunately, spot reduction is another myth - you can't lose fat JUST around your waist or 'target' it for weight loss. Where fat drops off first is determined genetically, so just doing crunches all day is not going to have any different effect for fat loss than doing a total body workout. However, you still want to tone your abs for when that fat does drop off, so make sure you're doing some ab work at each workout, and don't forget about your obliques too!

I know you already work out lots (your story in the newsletter was amazing!) including cardio. Short, hard bouts of cardio are the best bet for fat loss, such as 15-20 mins each time, high intesnsity interval training (alternating between high intesnity and low intensity, 1 min fast, 1 min slow, 1 min fast, 1 min slow etc...). Those really long 60 mins sessions of jogging - great if you want to increase your health and vitality, but high intensity for short periods of time is what you need to lose fat.

Hope that helps!

Re: Abs and the 'spare tire'... new
      #158464 - 03/08/05 05:38 PM
Shell Marr

Quote:

Quote:

No reason to wait on strength training (for any body part, including abs) - the stronger your muscles, the more your body will be at burning calories because it boosts your metabolism.

Unfortunately, spot reduction is another myth - you can't lose fat JUST around your waist or 'target' it for weight loss. Where fat drops off first is determined genetically, so just doing crunches all day is not going to have any different effect for fat loss than doing a total body workout. However, you still want to tone your abs for when that fat does drop off, so make sure you're doing some ab work at each workout, and don't forget about your obliques too!

I know you already work out lots (your story in the newsletter was amazing!) including cardio. Short, hard bouts of cardio are the best bet for fat loss, such as 15-20 mins each time, high intesnsity interval training (alternating between high intesnity and low intensity, 1 min fast, 1 min slow, 1 min fast, 1 min slow etc...). Those really long 60 mins sessions of jogging - great if you want to increase your health and vitality, but high intensity for short periods of time is what you need to lose fat.

Hope that helps!

Thank you so much... I NEEDED to read this!! Where DID you get all this knowlegde from anyway??

--------------------

additional comment about weights new
      #158480 - 03/08/05 06:28 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I am just going to throw this in here. One of my pet peeves that I see so often in the summer (not little kids with bike helmets on wrong ) is people walking/jogging with weights. Weights should be done on their own and aerobics should be done without weights. Carrying weights when jogging is really hard on the joints and does no good to the upper body muscles. It only causes injuries. The best thing to do is 15-20 minutes of weight training 3x a week or so before aerobics. If you are training for backpacking- as I have done- then go ahead and load up a backpack, otherwise just jog/walk as is.

Also I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but as my husband always says "muscle burns more calories". So the idea of building muscle is that it will help you burn calories faster- more muscle mass uses more calories.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

My two cents new
      #158513 - 03/08/05 09:06 PM
e_mcmaster

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Norman, Oklahoma

I don't think cardio 4-5x a week with weights 2x a week is too much. *At all*

From my own personal experience, weight-lifting makes all the difference in weight loss. Lift HEAVY. Lifting light isn't going to do anything for you in terms of weight-loss, nor is it going to give you healthy, sexxxxy muscles. Women are not genetically engineered to bulk up - it takes hours upon hours upon hours at the gym doing so, usually with the help of steroids.

I would recommend breaking up your lifting routine into a 2 or 3 day split. I used to lift upper body (arms, shoulders, back & chest) once a week and lower body (legs, butt & abs) once a week. Now I do a 3 day split - Chest, Shoulders & Back on Sunday, Lower body on Wednesday and Biceps & Triceps on Friday. I do cardio at the gym 4x a week and I swim 45min to an hour twice a week. But if I am sick one day or it doesn't fit into my schedule (although I often rearrange things to to make a workout fit), I don't worry about it because when I work out, I work HARD.

So, my advice to you is to keep up your 4-5x a week cardio and to break up your weight-lifting a bit. You don't need to lift for an entire hour each time - do supersets or take less break time in between sets. It takes me 35 min MAX to do a minimum of 7 exercises (3 sets each) each time.

As for not seeing results yet, you shouldn't be. It will take a month or two for you to see anything and even more than that for it to be really noticeable. Focus instead on how much better you feel for becoming active and how great of a stress relief it is.

And if you'd like a copy of my lifting schedule, let me know and I'll send you one. My trainer developed it and I tweak it a bit every now and then to stay fresh. Now that I think about it, it's about time for me to get a new routine...

--------------------
Elizabeth

all those years it wasn't IBS - it was celiac!
send me an email: liz@dopple.net

#158533 - 03/08/05 11:49 PM
RGS

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: Queensland, Australia

Hi, i think the secret is energy out put needs to exceed energy input. Getting active is the key, most sedentary people will battle with weight at some stage. Without having to diet as such, have a spring clean and throw any unecessary junk food out of it, decrease portion size a bit and you will surely get results. But hey you've only been at it for a couple of weeks, don't be too impatient, it's all about making a change in lifestyle. Fitness is great fun, enjoy it!
Now I'm off to the gym
Ralph

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 33 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 86436

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review