All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
Can anyone recommend weights to start with? new
      #158536 - 03/09/05 12:00 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Thanks for bringing this post up Ashly!

I am inspired by you...
I have e never lifted weights. I was a runner/dancer

Now I want to try weights. Will they make me look slim or do they simply build muscle? I want to look trim again like when I ran, etc.

When I don't have a cold I bike and dance and walk.

Thanks for your help!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Yikes! Laurel...I missed this before when I posted...but... new
      #158541 - 03/09/05 12:22 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I'd still like to know how to start lifting the healthiest way possible!

I'm nervous about lifting...but I WANT to be healthy and good to my bod. I probably won't start right away as I am fighting a cold AND detoxing...but I want to get the thoughts rolling around in my head to get geared up for weight training! I think it's def. something that would be good for me. I need to start slow tho with the fibro...but thank G-d I can do 40 mins on the bike trainer and I know my bod is on its way!

Thanks again...and one more hing...let me know some books to read if you don't mind. Your wealth of info. is fantastic!

Thanks Laurel...you're the best *hugs*

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: My two cents new
      #158670 - 03/09/05 07:28 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

Hi, Thanks for your reply.

I use 3 and 5 pound weights now, but I will try to add more weight. I am just starting out so I thought that going up in weight slowly was a better idea?!?!

I do weighttraining for an hour because I actually do it during a class my gym offers. The class description is - A full body free weight conditioning workout using dumbells to tone and strengthen the entire body. Defined lines and lean muscle come out of this workout. It also builds muscle endurance, taking no breaks between reps.

Anyways, its generally about 1/2 hour arms, 20 mins legs and butt and 10 minute abs. Does this not sound good enough? should I add more weighttraining by myself in?

--------------------

Re: Can anyone recommend weights to start with? new
      #158672 - 03/09/05 07:30 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Loc: Maryland

thanks Ruchie.. everyone is really helpful.. so I'm sure you'll get some ideas from them!

--------------------

Warning here! new
      #158674 - 03/09/05 07:33 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Some women AREN'T as naturally slim as e_mcmaster - I can bulk up! One year I was going to be racing lots so I did a major strenthening program with lots of heavier weights and my shoulders went ballistic! Never again! I looked like a shot-putter.

Biceps and triceps are harder to bulk up as a woman...but having said that my cousin hates her muscley arms!

Re: Lies about weight lifting, bulking up and fat loss....!!!!! new
      #158679 - 03/09/05 07:46 AM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Oh no offence taken....it's just that I don't believe it is a myth because I've seen it happen with my very own eyes.

I have a couple of friends who lift heavy weights with less reps and they are very big and muscular. You should see their shoulders!! Then I have friends who do lighter weights (not teeny tiny little ones) just to burn fat and and do more reps and they're not getting bigger, just burning fat.

I never said that weight training in general will make you big and masculine.

Sorry I'm jumping in.... new
      #158691 - 03/09/05 08:32 AM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

I take 3 classes with weights, and do weights on my own 2x a week. Mostly my own free weights, sometimes the machines. The heaviest free weight I ever use is 10 lbs. I'm 5'4", 118 lbs. That being said---I've got big arms. For some reason the muscles in my arms just get big! I don't feel manly or anything, but I've definitely got bigger arm muscles than all the girls I know (some lift weights too). But I don't look like a body builder and I'm not worried about getting big all over. I'm not ripped, and have no veins popping out. And I don't beat myself up about it because I don't mind having arm muscles! I'd rather be strong. I think weight lifting is an excellent thing women can do. Keeps them strong, keeps their bones strong, and is a good way to get out some frustration (which I am full of lately).

--------------------

Re: My two cents new
      #158694 - 03/09/05 08:39 AM
retrograde

Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest that this was too much as a general rule, just that going from doing nothing to doing this much without adjusting calorie intake might be a bit of a strain. However I think I mis-estimated the intensity of your workouts Ashley, I don't think it's a problem. Plus like I said if you're enjoying it why should we tell you to stop!! however you mentioned that you're not getting sore after your weights any more - getting sore (reasonably) is a good sign that you're muscles are working, rebuilding themselves and thus growing. Basically that it was a good workout. If you're not getting that any more you should probably up your weights in your class.

But yeah, it's not too much as a general rule. Personally I do cardio and weights 3x per week, 15 mins high intensity interval cardio, 30-45 mins of weights and then if I have the time a 60 min yoga class. Sometimes on weekends I add in more cardio and/or an extra yoga class.

I do a full body 3 day split right now with my weights. For a long time I did an upper lower split with lots of supersets, but I'm really enjoying this split right now. I do squats each of the three days to different degrees of intensity - in general Mondays I go light, Wednesdays I go heavy (with bench presses and deadlifts), and Fridays I go medium. If anyone would like to see my complete schedule let me know.

Ok that's it for me

Re: Yikes! Laurel...I missed this before when I posted...but... new
      #158697 - 03/09/05 08:49 AM
retrograde

Yay! Good for you Ruchie! I think weight training is one of the BEST things people can do for their bodies. No need to be nervous about starting lifting!

I'll do a little bit of looking around for some of my favourite books and websites tonight but ones that come off the top of my head are these:

Women's Weight Training - this is a great site about weight training for women for everyone from complete beginners to powerlifters! Seriously, there's lots of great info here and it's all written in a light and humorous tone. One of my favourites.

Brother Iron Sister Steel by Dave Draper
Ok this is written by former Mr. World/Universe (basically every bodybuilding title there is to win, he won it) - but it's not just for bodybuilders! There's lots of great info in here about getting started, proper nutrition, proper form (SO important), plus lots of great sample workouts from beginners to advanced. He can get a little lofty with his tone and start waxing philosophic on bodybuliding at times, but in all it's a great book.

Re: Sorry I'm jumping in.... new
      #158698 - 03/09/05 08:52 AM
retrograde

I totally agree. I don't know what it is about our society but it seems to tell us that a woman with a little bit of muscle on her isn't attractive! Personally, I think women look great with toned, muscular bodies. Not to mention how healthy it is for ya.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 100 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 86524

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review