All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
How many of you have actually lost weight since we started this Board?
      #157489 - 03/06/05 01:04 PM
CindyC

Reged: 09/30/04
Loc: Ohio, USA

I have been reading everyone's posts and sincerely hoping that all of you are going to lose weight or maintain if that is your goal. I have not been posting because I truly am in a quandry.

I know that when I first started this IBS diet I was not eating that much (being SOOO careful about my tummy) and I lost a couple of pounds. I was only 5 lbs. from my ideal weight to begin with and was pleasantly pleased with the diet. But then I became comfortable with the diet, pretty stable, and then the weight started accummulating. I am still exercising every day like I always was but I am slowly but surely gaining weight AND I am hungry all the time.

I haven't had to count WW points (or calories) in over a year so it is really disappointing to have to start again. My WW target pts. is 20. Is there anyone on this list that
has that WW target or in calories I'm thinking it's 1200 or 1300. If so, I would really like to pay attention to your menus and see where I'm going wrong.

I try to plan good menus, but I am soooo hungry all the time! And then my mind wanders to the recipes like the Peppermint Fudge Cake, the Pumpkin Apple Spice, rice krispie squares......that I know are safe but too much sugar and too many calories... HELP!!!
Cindy

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: How many of you have actually lost weight since we started this Board? new
      #157492 - 03/06/05 01:16 PM
beacon1961

Reged: 02/28/05
Loc: Marlton, NJ

Hi Cindy,

I am in the same quandry. I try to stay to 20 WW points and it is tough. I was trying to stabilize my IBS when I started this diet. I was also 5 lbs away from goal. then I gained about 5 lbs trying to feel better. And I do feel so much better and the IBS-C symptoms have dissipated. But now trying to lose 10 pounds has been really hard. I work out 4-5 days a week, but I can eat well for the first time in years and it is so hard to just stay with 20 pts.

Not sure I have an answer-just that I am walking it with you.

Mary

--------------------
It only takes a few committed people to change the world!

#157498 - 03/06/05 01:56 PM
CindyC

Wow Mary, sounds like we are in exactly the same situation. I hope someone else on this board has some advice to help us or lead us in the right direction. I am so disgusted..only 5 lbs. from my goal weight and then to start putting on 5 lbs. Nothing changed except my way of thinking about IBS and eating that way (instead of whole wheat - white, brown rice vs white, pretzels instead of yogurt, rice cakes instead of a peach) It seems like the carby stuff although maybe the same in calories is stimulating my appetite. Does this make sense?
Cindy

#157502 - 03/06/05 02:07 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I lost a ton of weight last summer on the diet but then winter came and I was put on several courses of prednisone and I ate some of the weight back on. I am now hoping to go way back down again and with spring coming I am expecting I will.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

What about those close to goal weight? new
      #157505 - 03/06/05 02:20 PM
CindyC

That would be great and I am hoping so. My fear is that this diet is fine for people who have a lot of weight to lose. Obviously less calories. But what about those of us who are pretty close to goal weight. We don't have a lot to play with and the increase in appetite is NOT a good thing.

#157508 - 03/06/05 03:12 PM
dozyveeny

Reged: 09/26/04
Loc: UK

Since starting Heather's diet last autumn I have lost 15lbs and without trying, so I don't think the IBS diet is necessarily a problem. Just to make it clear, I am overweight and probably need to lose another 15lbs, so maybe this is not relevant to you, but I think the reason I have lost weight is that I was eating a lot of fat before and cutting that out has reduced calorie intake even though I am eating more carbs. I do eat little and often and drink (water and peppermint tea) much more than I used to, which definitely helps me not to feel 'false' hunger.

1200-1300 calories sounds quite low to me - I've heard that if we eat too little, our bodies go into 'famine' mode, the metabolic rate drops and it gets harder to lose weight. When I used to go to Weightwatchers we were always told that if weightloss 'plateau-ed' for more than a couple of weeks, we should try eating a bit more, not less, so as to to increase the metabolic rate and so start losing weight again.

If you are getting hungry a lot of the time, is it possible that you are not eating enough protein with your carbs? I have found that makes a difference to how satisfied I feel.

I know that other people on the board have lost weight too, so maybe someone else will have some better ideas. Good luck!

Josephine

#157517 - 03/06/05 04:15 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Hi Cindy,

I've done the IBS stuff and the WW stuff at the same time- and my goal points was 20 per day too. Are you doing the flex point thing? I found that near the end I couldn't eat all 35 of my flex points (I could use about 20 of them, actually, in order to keep losing). It's been about a year since I hit my goal weight and I've put on a little and lost a little since then. I don't worry about hitting that exact magic weight though- as long as I can fit comfortably in my pants I don't worry about that last five pounds too much. I'm currently trying to get back to the fitting in the pants thing though!

Re: What about those close to goal weight? new
      #157525 - 03/06/05 04:41 PM
Little Minnie

Wait a minute. I just want to lose 10 vanity pounds. I am at a healthy weight but want to be slimmer. Besides, as for losing a few pounds the best way to do it is exercise and not diet change other than a bit of trimming here and there.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

good post Josephine new
      #157526 - 03/06/05 04:45 PM
Little Minnie

Excellent points. We have to remember that carbs are only the bad guys now as a phase and that Heather's diet would have been regarded as wonderfully slimming back in the early 90s low fat thing! Someday carbs will find their proper place in society again. I mean peasants have been eating bread for 6000 years and they always seemed rather slim to me.

--------------------

Re: What about those close to goal weight? new
      #157528 - 03/06/05 04:54 PM
CindyC

Well, I am 5'3" and I weigh 128. My ideal weight (and I don't consider it vanity!!) is 115 - 120. So I want to lose around 10 lbs. That is what I have always weighed and now at 128 I feel "chubby." Sorry, but that is how I feel and I know how I feel good.

I've always followed a low sugar, whole grain diet and had no problem maintaining my weight. Although my IBS went haywire!! Now it's under control but my weight is going up.

I was one of the ones to endorse this diet when I first started because i hadn't gained any weight yet. But now that I am, there has got to be an answer other than starving myself.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 77 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 18220

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review