All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Thank goodness for this website
      #153134 - 02/23/05 09:22 AM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

My first time posting here, and this board seems appropriate since I'm really trying to get myself in shape while battling dumb IBS. I'm doing pretty good now, (crossing fingers), and this website has really helped. Acacia Fiber is my new best friend.
So here is my fitness related question--does eating soon before working out give you trouble? Or how about the time of day you work out?

--------------------

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Thank goodness for this website new
      #153139 - 02/23/05 09:34 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Quote:

My first time posting here, and this board seems appropriate since I'm really trying to get myself in shape while battling dumb IBS. I'm doing pretty good now, (crossing fingers), and this website has really helped. Welcome to the battle.... we are all here for each other so keep coming back! Acacia Fiber is my new best friend. I've heard wonderful things about it!!
So here is my fitness related question--does eating soon before working out give you trouble? I personally do not eat before working out, but I work out about starting about 6-6:30pm and don't eat lunch until 2:30pm so I don't have a hard time with it. I eat dinner about 8:15pm which is not really "recommended" to eat so late... it is just what works with MY schedule. BUT: I have noticed that if I eat later in the day, like within 45 mins of working out that I tend to burp up what ever it is that I ate Or how about the time of day you work out? I've heard mixed things on this... I'll let others put in their two cents. I personally prefer working out right after work.

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#153147 - 02/23/05 09:48 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Shell, great answers! I would just add that I do yoga before bed at night and 1st thing upon waking in the am. Then I bike right after yoga and then I sit and relax with some water for a bit and then I eat breakfast. I wouldn 't work out after eating, I would wait, if possible, for 2 hours. If that's not possible...at least an hour. But that's just me

Let us know h w things work out for you *hugs* Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

I work out after work... new
      #153223 - 02/23/05 11:26 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

but thats more for convenience sake.. I eat at my last break about 2 hours earlier.. drink a lot while working out and then eat after I work out...

good luck.. I prefer to work out in the mornings, but I also know myself and I can't get up and go and if I have my change with me at work I'll workout before I go home!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Re: I work out after work... new
      #153279 - 02/23/05 01:00 PM
epa_ginger

Yeah, right now, I eat lunch around 2, snack around 3:30, and work out between 5:30 and 6:30. But then I don't usually eat until 8 or so, and I just wonder if that's causing me problems. If I have any trouble, it's usually at night, after dinner. Honestly, most of time I could do with something light for dinner but my husband loves to cook , and loves a big production (usually accompanied by a big mess!) Hmmm.....But yeah---I already get up at 5:30 am to get to work and there is NO WAY I can get up any earlier!! Thanks for your input!

--------------------

#153280 - 02/23/05 01:07 PM
Shell Marr

Quote:

Yeah, right now, I eat lunch around 2, snack around 3:30, and work out between 5:30 and 6:30. But then I don't usually eat until 8 or so, and I just wonder if that's causing me problems. If I have any trouble, it's usually at night, after dinner. Honestly, most of time I could do with something light for dinner but my husband loves to cook , and loves a big production (usually accompanied by a big mess!) Hmmm.....But yeah---I already get up at 5:30 am to get to work and there is NO WAY I can get up any earlier!! Thanks for your input!

What time are you going to bed? Watch the portions... eating too much of even the right things can bring on an attack. And eat slow...

--------------------

#153411 - 02/23/05 05:13 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I was getting up at 4, at work 5 A to 2 P, then working out- eating around noon and then again right after my workout... and then dinner later in the eve... now I'm 7:30a to 4:30 P... I eat a snack about 2:30, work out right after work, eat another snack when I get home, and then eat dinner with DH about 7 or so.. at least that is the plan, hasn't happened yet between both of us being sick... but should starting Fri (tomorrow I have a docs appt after work or I'd be starting my workouts again then)... this si the first week on the new schedule.

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#153584 - 02/24/05 07:43 AM
epa_ginger

Well, I usually get in bed around 10, and am asleep by 11. And I do try to keep my portions low---although my husband is always pushing food on me. (He is lean, and has an iron digestive system). Lately I haven't had a problem because he's been working very late, so I eat something small right when I get back from working out. But I'm going to pay close attention next time I have a "real" dinner with him.

--------------------

#153624 - 02/24/05 09:17 AM
Shell Marr

Quote:

Well, I usually get in bed around 10, and am asleep by 11. And I do try to keep my portions low---although my husband is always pushing food on me. (He is lean, and has an iron digestive system). Lately I haven't had a problem because he's been working very late, so I eat something small right when I get back from working out. But I'm going to pay close attention next time I have a "real" dinner with him.

We are about on the same schedule...

--------------------

#153630 - 02/24/05 09:34 AM
JaneC

Reged: 02/20/05
Loc: England

I wait at least 2 hours before running after I eat, but I have no problems cycling if I've just eaten. If I run after eating I get stitches, which are kind of an unrelated problem.

BKS Iyengar recommends waiting 3 hours after a 'heavy meal' before doing yoga- I imagine you can use your imagination to work out an equivalent if you're on smaller portions or eating several mini-meals.

I run two evenings after work, from 7 to 8, so I don't get to eat until about quarter to 9. I make sure to get up again and do the washing up straight away after eating, and then don't go to bed for at least an hour afterwards, to give myself some digestive leeway. I don't think my ickiness is correlated at all with that- in fact I think my body is becoming trained to eat later. I used to be scared of eating after 7pm, because I heard you'd gain weight if you did, but I reckon that's bollocks. I'm tempted to try eating two lunches which are bigger, and then only a small snack later on in the evening on days I run. If it works out as a magical cure, I'll post and share! I do know if I eat too much in the evenings I get night sweats, which are foul in their own right.

--------------------
"This is truly the age of bacteria: as it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be."

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 54 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5620

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review