All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
Well... new
      #153860 - 02/24/05 09:20 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Insoluble fiber is insoluble fiber, period. It doesn't matter if you cook it, mash it, etc, it's still insoluble fiber. I don't think the amount of fiber in something decreases when you cook/mash it - I think it just breaks down a little so it's easier to digest.

What DOES drastically reduce the fiber in something is peeling it, so if you're not eating the skin, you're probably getting about the same amount of fiber as you would from canned.

(I've done a lot of home canning, btw. The process of canning is essentially cooking the fruit... so if you're eating it straight out of a can, or if you're peeling it and then cooking it yourself, it's essentially the same thing. The biggest difference is sugar content, but if you buy juice-packed fruit, you minimize that as well. Mind you, fresh fruit in season definitely TASTES better than stuff out of a can, but nutritionally, it shouldn't be all that different if you're essentially "processing" it the same way.)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Amie, I'm confused... new
      #153875 - 02/24/05 10:33 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Quote:

last night when I made more I baked them in the oven because I was making a cake too... mostly I nuke them... 2 at a time, 1 for then and one for later.. 7- 8 minutes... and fill core with cinnamon and some brown sugar... then drizzle 2 tbs water into the dish..

I also sometimes bake moms apple cake, but I can't as easily as my apple machine is in the storage locker...

About this: slice apples and layer them with cinamon and some brown sugar and 1 egg (beaten with the cinnamon and brown sugar or just drizzled) into a springform till full.. 1 egg is normally enough to help it hold its shape for serving, and its YUMMY basically a baked apple but in cake form... Would you mind giving us more specifics? It sounds great..but only 4 ingredients? And how many apples/eggs to what size springform? This is new to me. Thanks, Kandee

--------------------

Re: REPORTING IN - 2/23/05 new
      #154571 - 02/26/05 09:58 PM
e_mcmaster

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Norman, Oklahoma

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

First off.... you look like someone I've seen before but can't figure out where or who! LOL

B - 1 packet Oatmeal + 1/4 cup Oatmeal, 1 cup soymilk, 1 piece French bread
S - 1 serving Honeycombs
S - Luna bar
L - leftover pasta with chicken, broccoli and marinara sauce, piece of french bread, antidepressant brownie No that sounds like a nice filling lunch! YUM
S - banana & low-fat cinnamon graham crackers before w/o
S - 1.5 cups Lite chocolate soymilk, 1 scoop Chocolate Soy Protein powder, 1 tsp Glutamine (is this what you always drink after working out, or just on days that you lift?)
D - 1.5 servings Chik'n Nuggets REAL or tofu? with 1 cup steamed green beans, 1 cup pineapple chunks, peaches & mandarin oranges

Total: 2024 cal*, 30g fat, 125g protein

*too little calories - I'm still recovering from being sick, but I need to add about 300 more calories per day

W/O: Lift Chest, Shoulders & Back - 45min, Stair Climber - 30 min GREAT workout!!

Hi Shell!

I always drink a protein shake after lifting (which I do 3 days a week), but I try to do so after doing just cardio (1 day a week) and swimming (2 days a week). You have a great routine!! Could you do me a favor and figure out the calories in one of your shakes for me? Yours sounds really good... I might like to start drinking one on Tues & Thurs when I do weights...

The Chik'n Nuggets are tofu - Morningstar Farms brand, I believe. SO good! Thanks, I'll have to give those a try sometime.

The protein shakes are made from 8th Continent Lite Chocolate Soymilk, which is 90 cal per cup, and GNC's Chocolate Soy Protein Powder, which has 130 cal per scoop. I typically use 1.5 cups soymilk to 1 scoop protein powder, so a typical shake would be 265 cal, with 3.5g fat and 36g protein. I also add about a tsp or so of unsweetened cocoa powder to the shake before I blend it to make it a bit more chocolatey (which doesn't seem to bother my tummy at all). The shake is pretty filling and I like to blend it with a few ice cubes to make it thicker. Enjoy!

--------------------
Elizabeth

all those years it wasn't IBS - it was celiac!
send me an email: liz@dopple.net

I have to find the recipe to post it.. new
      #154618 - 02/27/05 07:38 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

if I don't find it today or tomorrow I'll ask mom to send it... she has it.. I think the book I have it written in is in the storage locker...

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

baked apples... new
      #154620 - 02/27/05 07:40 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

if I cut them up I tend to peel them, but when I do them just cored I leave them hole and skins on... I can either eat the skins (most people I serve them to do) or I can scoop out the apple and leave the skin at the end... depends on my IF quota for the day if I eat the skin or not... if I eat too much I have issues but I also have issues if I don't eat enough (hard lesson learned being an A)

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Ok Amie, I'll be waiting. Thank you for going to all this trouble... new
      #154754 - 02/27/05 04:34 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

but it sounds sooo interesting..(not to mention easy) and I'm curious as to how it turns out. Although I NEED the apple peels, being a C, I can't tolerate them most of the time. Go figure.Kandee

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 193 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 70314

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review