All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
but canned/tinned fruit... new
      #153656 - 02/24/05 10:04 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

has less fiber. Most of the cans of peaches, for example list 0 grams of fiber or >1 gram. That's why I try to go for the fresher fruit and peel and/or cook it.

Am I wrong?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

spinach bread? new
      #153657 - 02/24/05 10:06 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Do you need a breadmaker to make this bread. I saw the recipe on an earlier post to Casey, but it required a breadmaker. Is this the only way to make it?

Also, how do you make pumpkin butter safely and how long does it last? I need a recipe without much spice.

Thanks

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: spinach bread? new
      #153663 - 02/24/05 10:31 AM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

I make the spinach bread in a bread machine, so I'm not sure how to do it without one, because it would probably need to a few good kneadings and some rise time, so it would be a lot of work.

As for the pumpkin butter, I use this recipe from the boards: Pumpkin Butter

You can adjust the spices to your liking. I tend to use a 28 oz can of pumpkin to make an about 3 cup batch, but I only add about 1 1/2 cups of sugar instead of the 3 that it should have. I usually use the 3 cups up in about 2 weeks since I eat it every morning, but I think the recipe says it'll keep for 4-6 weeks in the fridge.

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

#153673 - 02/24/05 10:40 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Quote:

I make the spinach bread in a bread machine, so I'm not sure how to do it without one, because it would probably need to a few good kneadings and some rise time, so it would be a lot of work.

You can adjust the spices to your liking. I tend to use a 28 oz can of pumpkin to make an about 3 cup batch, but I only add about 1 1/2 cups of sugar instead of the 3 that it should have. I usually use the 3 cups up in about 2 weeks since I eat it every morning, but I think the recipe says it'll keep for 4-6 weeks in the fridge.

So, if I did the math right....this is what YOU make??

Fat-free Spicy Pumpkin Butter

28oz canned pureed pumpkin
1-1/2 cup sugar
3 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves (maybe a little less)
6 tablespoons lemon juice

Combine all in a glass bowl (for microwave) or nonreactive saucepan (for stovetop). Microwave on high for 5 minutes, stirring twice, or, on stovetop over medium-high heat, stir until boiling and continue to boil 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Cool. Store, refrigerated, for 4 to 6 weeks. Makes about 3.5 cups.

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Oh neat! new
      #153674 - 02/24/05 10:40 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I'm bookmarking that site for sure! That rules! Thank you!

The thing with the bellydancing is that I only really *danced* for about 20 minutes... the rest was learning the moves and warming up, which is pretty much just stretching. I wouldn't really consider that "bellydancing", so I just put in what I thought it would be, and it came to 128 calories burned. I wasn't too far off!

It also told me my BMR was only 1300 calories a day though. I have enough trouble keeping it under 2000 - I think that's way off base! LOL

Anyway, thanks Shell!

#153691 - 02/24/05 11:17 AM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

Quote:

Quote:

So, if I did the math right....this is what YOU make??

Fat-free Spicy Pumpkin Butter

28oz canned pureed pumpkin
1-1/2 cup sugar
3 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves (maybe a little less)
6 tablespoons lemon juice

Combine all in a glass bowl (for microwave) or nonreactive saucepan (for stovetop). Microwave on high for 5 minutes, stirring twice, or, on stovetop over medium-high heat, stir until boiling and continue to boil 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Cool. Store, refrigerated, for 4 to 6 weeks. Makes about 3.5 cups.

Pretty much. I do it on the stove instead of in the microwave, and I don't think I add the whole 6 tbsp of lemon juice, I think I added 3 or 4 last time, adding all 6 makes it a little watery. I do add all of the spices though because I love those

It's just easier for me to make the big batch every few weeks since I eat it all the time (my bf does too when he's over, he loves it as well), than to make a smaller batch like the recipe calls for. You might want to make a smaller batch the first time to make sure you like it and it works for your tummy.

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

Re: REPORTING IN - 2/23/05 new
      #153718 - 02/24/05 12:21 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I do cardio whenever I can but I have to go to the gym for it, which means needing a babysitter. I make it for sure on Sat and Sun and I do 45 minutes each time (just walking on the treadmill but still).

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#153723 - 02/24/05 12:33 PM
Shell Marr

Quote:

I do cardio whenever I can but I have to go to the gym for it, which means needing a babysitter. I make it for sure on Sat and Sun and I do 45 minutes each time (just walking on the treadmill but still).

That is great that you do that on Sat & Sun and 45 mins is perfect.... Question.... can you put the kids in a stroller if needed and go for a walk in your neighborhood? Even 20-30 mins?

--------------------

#153725 - 02/24/05 12:41 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I have to get my 3 year old to walk on the sidewalk. It will be good practice once the weather warms up. The stroller is too hard to push with snow and slush around. I'm hoping once the weather is warmer I can take them out to my in-law's farm and walk in the back 40. Maybe they'll even babysit if I try to take it as a run.... Can't wait for this nasty weather to go away!

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#153737 - 02/24/05 01:04 PM
Shell Marr

Quote:

I have to get my 3 year old to walk on the sidewalk. It will be good practice once the weather warms up. The stroller is too hard to push with snow and slush around. I'm hoping once the weather is warmer I can take them out to my in-law's farm and walk in the back 40. Maybe they'll even babysit if I try to take it as a run.... Can't wait for this nasty weather to go away!

Oh, I did not even think about the weathe being different where you are.... I've got sun out and the door open to my office so I can hear the birds chirping.... yea, when the weather changes that will be nice.... you could always get that strip tease video for home....LOL

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 70254

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review