Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Non-dairy liquid meal supplements?
      #95220 - 08/02/04 10:29 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hey Guys,

Does anyone know if there are any non-dairy meal supplement drinks out there? Something along the lines of boost or ensure, but without the dairy? I know you can get soy protein powders and things like that, but my docs really want me taking something that's more like a complete meal substitute and I'm kinda lost.

I asked my pharamacist and they gave me a thing of Glucerna which is for diabetics, and said it was probably the best one of the ones they carried. The thing is, there are so many ingredients and I'm just starting to learn what to look for on labels, I don't know if it's ok. Does anyone else know? One of the ingredients is calcium caseinates and that's the one that was making me nervous. Here's a link if anyone is willing to check it out, it's pretty long though: http://rpdcon40.ross.com/mn/Ross+MN+Nutritional+Products.nsf/web_Ross.com_XML/3975C95C7CEB4D4F8525663C00683BFC?OpenDocument#Ingredients

Any opinions as to whether this is safe or recommendations for other brands would be great!
Thanks,
Kelly

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Non-dairy liquid meal supplements? new
      #95275 - 08/03/04 07:56 AM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

I don't think I'll be a lot of help, but Casein is a dairy dirivative. I'm a C, and it bothers me. So, with that said, there's a good chance that this will probably cause problems. Hope this helps a little, at least.

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

#95278 - 08/03/04 08:06 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I'm not going to be much help either. I'll second what Rachel says, that casein is a dairy derivative and it bothers some people. I know Kandee has said that they add things to those drinks to make them digestible even by people who are lactose-intolerant, but of course we're concerned with more than just the lactose. I'm scared to death to try them, but you might think it's worth the risk at this point... hard to say.

I know Heather will probably recommend the Amazake rice shakes instead, but I finally found them at the health food store, checked them out, and they're basically (very overpriced) rice milk and fruit. They do have some vitamins and nutrients, but no more than you'd get from making a smoothie at home using vitamin-enriched rice milk and a mango.

I might go back to the HFS today and check out a few things... there are some powders that are more than just a protein shake, that I remember from the days when I worked at GNC... I'll check them out and report on what I find. There HAS to be a vegan liquid meal replacement out there!

#95388 - 08/03/04 02:14 PM
KellyAndersson

Reged: 03/24/04
Loc: N.California

Try these:
Spiru-Tein shakes
SPIRU-TEIN PROTEIN SHAKES

Lots of other flavors available.

No casein in SPIRU-TEIN new
      #95390 - 08/03/04 02:19 PM
KellyAndersson

Out of curiosity, have you ever tried these? new
      #95391 - 08/03/04 02:22 PM
atomic rose

I was actually just going to suggest Spiru-Tein... I never made it to the HFS today, but I suddenly remembered it from my GNC days. I'm just curious about what they taste like, what you mix them with - and if the psyllium in them is enough psyllium to cause any kind of problems for someone who isn't used to it.

I've also seen that they come in packets, Kelly (Vicam), so if you can find the packets where you are, you wouldn't have to invest a lot in a tub of something you might not like.

#95402 - 08/03/04 04:08 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Hi, sweet. I found really good luck with Boost, although it contains casein. The glucerna looks like it has a lot, although I don't know the percentage of boost. My only advice is : try it and see.
I managed to tolerate the boost when I wasn't eating anything. It's worth a try. It's not like you've got anything to lose!

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

No, Amazakes aren't rice milk... new
      #95425 - 08/03/04 06:08 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

though I agree they are overpriced! They're actually the entire rice grain, broken down into a liquid. Rice milk has virtually all of the soluble fiber strained out of it, but Amazake doesn't. Plus, the pecan and almond versions are a great way to get a tolerable amount of healthy fats, and they are really high calorie (I think about 400 a bottle, which is easily just one serving) so they're great for people trying to gain weight. I love the nut versions, don't care at all for the fruit varieties.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Ahh... new
      #95426 - 08/03/04 06:15 PM
atomic rose

It was hard to tell, honestly. Our health food store sells so few of them that they hardly ever stock them; the ones they had were *frozen*, and so all I could tell about them I got from the label. (Which made it sound like rice milk. ) They had one mango and one almond, I think... I was about to try the mango one, till I saw they wanted $4 for it. Ack!

Thanks for the clarification, though! If I can ever find them cheaper anywhere (and not frozen solid!), I'd still consider trying one.

Amakaze new
      #95428 - 08/03/04 06:24 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Thanks for the suggestion Casey (and Heather). I've looked into them and can't find any place in Canada that has them...I have seen some places that ship, but it's pretty pricey. I think maybe the next time I got to Toronto I'll look at a bigger store...maybe they'll have them.
Kelly

Re: Amakaze new
      #95458 - 08/03/04 10:42 PM
daisy2

Reged: 07/19/04
Loc: Washington

I found them at our Wild Oats store which is formerly known as Natures. Also, I bet Whole Foods would carry them. We tried the Vanilla and loved it but didn't like the Chai one at all.

Happy Shopping

#95466 - 08/04/04 02:20 AM
MissS

Reged: 02/11/04

Kelly,
Just wanted to say that a few years ago; following a terrible bout of pneumonia, my doctor ordered me to take Boost for 2 months, 3X a day.
In my case, it wasn't to gain weight, it was to replenish and build up my health status. I was terribly malnourished, as the pneumonia had just ravished my body nutritionally. I was low on protein, and depleted of vitamins and minerals.
I was wondering if you are supposed to take the Boost to gain weight or to improve your nutritional status or both.

As far as my ibs was concerned, I was in such a poor state physically that my ibs was worsened due to my poor health anyway and as HanSolo said, I too, had nothing to lose by trying the recommended Boost. I found that the Boost actually made things much better.

Plus, it restored me to health. I believe you mentioned a while back that you were low on B12 and may need shots. So, I'm just thinking that your doctors might be trying to restore you to a healthy nutritional state also.

I would suggest that you let your doctor know if you're going to use something other than what he has recommended as I attribute the Boost with helping to save my life. It really did replenish me and I was able to return to my old self.
It's not always easy to balance what's good for IBS with what's good for something else. But, from one who has been there, I personally can vouch for a good liquid, nutritional supplement as being a true lifesaver!

Terri

Re: Drink 'em all the time new
      #95543 - 08/04/04 11:41 AM
KellyAndersson

When I was in the hospital in Feb. on TPN and I finally got where I could put something in my tummy, the doc's and dietician explained that I was gonna have 4 protein shakes a day or I wasn't going home. The dietician came to see me with "Boost" shakes and said if I couldn't get 4 of them a day in me then she'd find me something else. I got 'em down fine. When I got home, however, and started on the CASE of Boost cans my mom bought, I had two friends who had some experience with protein shakes for various reasons, and we all got together and lined up five different brands of protein shake and compared:

• Ingredients
  • Nutritional content
  • Sugar and protein contents
  • Flavor and "mixability"
  • Cost

And the SPIRU-TEIN shakes won, hands down, on every single item. My ma got me about 8 different flavors in the single-serve packages from the health food store so I could try them out. I didn't find one I didn't like, but settled on the plain vanilla and the peaches for buying the larger containers. I very highly recommend them!!!!

Re: Drink 'em all the time P.S. new
      #95548 - 08/04/04 11:47 AM
KellyAndersson

I had to do four protein shakes PLUS FOOD in the hospital, but I don't any more. Now it's like one shake every day or two.

Re: Drink 'em all the time P.S. new
      #95554 - 08/04/04 12:24 PM
atomic rose

Fantastic!! I'm definitely going to get to the HFS this weekend, and I'll grab a packet or two and try them. Sweet. Thanks so much for all your help and advice!

I'm basically just looking to up my calorie intake over all. I lost a lot of weight with this bout of IBS - I developed an anxiety-related eating disorder. I'm not underweight *yet*, but my doctor has stressed that she doesn't want to see me get below my current weight. I'm eating 3 meals and 2-3 snacks a day, but still usually only eating 900-950 calories at most. Much better than I was, but I figure a shake a day would help. Many thanks!

Re: Drink 'em all the time P.S. P.S. new
      #95860 - 08/05/04 01:12 PM
KellyAndersson

The shakes would probably be just perfect, given your situation. They had me on so many of them at first because I had lost 30 lbs. in about a month and couldn't get much down for a long time. I cut it from 4 a day (with food) down to one or two a day (with food) when I got out of the hospital. But the surgeon has warned me on the weight thing -- he says I don't necessarily need to GAIN weight, but if I lose any more I'm going to get a spanky. So I have one now and then (and acutally bought a bathroom scales and use it).

#96817 - 08/09/04 01:06 PM
Wolfie

Reged: 05/06/03

Kashi GoLean makes an excellent meal replacemnt shake in a can. They are premixed - you just have to chill it. They come in chocolate and vanilla, taste great, and are chock-full of soluble fiber. I get mine at Publix or Kroger, and they soothe my gut instead of angering it.

Kashi powder drinks new
      #96911 - 08/09/04 05:46 PM
Evan

Reged: 04/03/04

I have purchased the powder Kashi drinks- but then I saw they had 7 g of fiber- but their analysis doesn't say if it's soluble or insoluble....Anyone know if they are a safe drink?

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 810 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6523

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review