All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)
Re: OR . . . new
      #38961 - 01/19/04 04:12 PM
Gerry10

Reged: 10/15/03
Loc: Las Vegas,Nev.

Bev.worms are red meat.no,no.Gerry

--------------------
Neta G.Yale

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Safe Brand Foods List and Names new
      #44299 - 02/11/04 09:33 AM
DanielGA

Reged: 02/11/04
Loc: Georgia, USA

My first post...

This isn't a "brand name" food suggestion, but I find that sushi is a very safe food for me, as well as a lot of fun to eat, and I especially like it when I'm going out on the town (maybe to hear music at some dive bar or wherever) and I know it will be too awkward and embarrassing to have an IBS attack. Just make sure the sushi doesn't have any cooked or fried ingredients in it, like tempura. I usually have a tuna or salmon roll, which is tuna or salmon with avocado, wrapped in seaweed and rice. Nigiri sushi is even better (basically just raw fish, sometimes on top of rice).

I usually get my sushi to go at Whole Foods. It's the best I've tasted outside of a sushi restaurant, but unfortunately it is pretty expensive.

I'm interested to see so many references to soy milk or rice milk...those seem to affect me just like regular milk, though I don't know why. I do like these things called "lil' dreamers" ice cream sandwiches, which are basically tiny little rice-milk ice cream sandwiches (Whole Foods has 'em), but I usually end paying the price. I'm a chocoholic so sometimes I can't resist.

Someone mentioned grits. Here in Atlanta there's plenty of grits. And I gotta tell you, if they're made without cream, then I really do think that they help stabilize my digestion. I don't know, are grits soluble fiber? With creme, though, they're deadly. (Is it just me or do others think there's an unwritten rule in the restaurant industry that you have to add friggin' creme to everything that's made, especially soup).

#44407 - 02/11/04 05:39 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Post from bauie25 - original post
Quote:

Hey all... I know in the past people have been so kind to list foods that have worked for them. Through a long trial and error process, I have a list of a few (and they've already probably been mentioned...) so I thought I'd share

Quaker Oatmeal (I mix one 1/2 cup of the original quick oats with one packet of an off-brand maple & brown sugar, and only use 1/2 cup of the mixture in a bowl w/ water-- and I sprinkle cinnaomon on top after it's nuked.

Thomas english muffins (I know a lot of individuals said english muffins worked for them-- this is the only kind that works for me... they are SUPER good, and don't have a grainy texture)

Quaker Oatmeal Squares (brown sugar) w/ 8th Continent Light Soymilk (and of course, sprinkled with cinnamon before I pour the s-milk on)

Nesco brand conversation hearts (haven't hurt me yet!!!)

Home-made Lemonade - take one glass of water, a ripe real lemon - squeeze the juice in the water until it's the strength you desire - mmmm... who would've thought it was actually better than the mixes?

Fresh italian or french bread (baked daily) from a local grocer (it's really inexpensive, $1.09) and doesn't seem to affect me?

Tropical Orange Trim Advantage (from Nutrilite brand)-- there were a few ingredients I questioned, but it tastes phenomenal and the ingredients list includes acacia . It pumps over 6 grams of dietary fiber. There are no artifical colors or preservatives. It kicks Metamucil and Citricil in the butt!! There are 110 calories, no fat, 18 amino acids, 15 grams of protein. And I don't know what this part means (from the box), but it says it has a "protein digestibility corrected amino acid score of 1". Interesting... anyway- it's good stuff and makes great slushes!

As for vitamins and supplements, I have found intestiflora (by Nutrilite brand) that seems to be doing something (as I have been feeling better than usual-- been using it for a little over a week... I know it takes time for your body to incorporate new stuff in, but I swear I've been feeling better) as well as Daily free (by Nutrilite brand) which is a multivitamin free of yeast, sugar, iron, and alfalfa (and considered Kosher)

I hope I don't sound like a product PLUG person... I just figure when I find things that are working for me, it's my duty to let everyone else know Anyways... I know I'm forgetting some, but my brain is telling me to stop for now.

Hope you all have a wonderful, painfree day... as always, you are all in my thoughts and prayers

luvins,
*me*

Kandee, I'd like a list please! :D I love your quote, it's cute new
      #44495 - 02/12/04 04:51 AM
Sommer

Reged: 02/09/04
Loc: Phoenix, Arizona USA

I live in edmonton, alberta canada, and i'm new to Canada. Hmm, I have a very low budget right now. So inexpensive stuff that lasts a long time would be helpful. Thanks so much!

--------------------
XOXO from lil' ol' me. (IBS-C, mood disorders, etc., etc.)

Oh, yeah, forgot to mention, I'm new to this too, need so much help! :) Thanks again. nt new
      #44496 - 02/12/04 04:53 AM
Sommer

--------------------

ROFL! Geez, all you people crack me up! :D Thanks for the great laugh! nt new
      #44497 - 02/12/04 05:09 AM
Sommer

--------------------

#111869 - 10/10/04 02:39 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Trying to keep this list alive (I just found it) so here's the UK brands post

Heather, this would be REALLY great if there were locked lists at the top of the pages that maybe we could email you/a moderator to add to. Stuff really does get buried!

Sinead

--------------------
S.

preserves, chili's restaurant, and vitamins new
      #111889 - 10/10/04 03:47 PM
angela3

Reged: 07/12/04
Loc: Texas, near Fort Worth)

The only jelley or jam that I have found that does not contain high fructose corn syrup is a brand called Bonne Maman Preserves. The label says it is a product of France, and the jar is clear with a simple black and white label and a red and white check lid. Kroger's and Wal-Mart sell it.

At Chili's the basil chicken and pasta is okay if you ask them to go light on the sauce (I ask for it on the side)and say no to the parmesean cheese.

For Vitamins and digestive enzymes, I buy from the Home Shopping Network (hsn.com). I have posted about this guy before, Andrew Lessman's Your Vitamins. All of his products are milk, soy, yeast, corn, wheat, gluten, free etc. the list is long. He also grinds everything up to a very fine powder so it is easily digestible. It is the only calcium my stomach will tolerate.

Also cookies in the baby food section work for me. The baby animal cookies and arrowroot crackers are good little snacks.

While in the baby food section check out most of Gerber's fruit snacks and stuff, the apple sauce is good and has nothing but like apples and water.

Health Valley granola bars. They are rice and oat base. Check the ingredients though a few of their products have non-fat dry milk, which is okay for me but not everyone.

Kraft marshmellows. The generic brands are cheaper, but most of them contain high fructose corn syrup and Kraft does not.

#111892 - 10/10/04 04:02 PM
dozyveeny

Reged: 09/26/04
Loc: UK

Quote:

Heather, this would be REALLY great if there were locked lists at the top of the pages that maybe we could email you/a moderator to add to. Stuff really does get buried!

Sinead

I agree - this thread is too good to miss and thanks, Sinead, for the UK list link - just what I was looking for!

Josephine

Re: Good idea... new
      #111907 - 10/10/04 05:24 PM
Rylee

Reged: 10/09/04

It is a verrrry good idea. I like Country Hearth English Muffin toasting bread. I have it every morning with a fructose free jelly. MMMMMM

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2550 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 58262

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review