All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)
Re: Good idea... new
      #9562 - 05/21/03 12:01 AM
carmen

Reged: 03/19/03
Loc: Sydney, Australia

I agree - a great idea. A list for different countries would be great. Would help all of us shop for brand names that are familiar.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Great idea!! Can we do it? -nt- new
      #9567 - 05/21/03 03:42 AM
tlc

Reged: 03/06/03
Loc: Australia

Re: Safe Brand Foods List and Names new
      #9576 - 05/21/03 05:47 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Food, food brands, cooking tips, and things I picked up along the way:

Lundbergh products are SUPER

Whole Foods market fresh salmon is tops

White flesh sweet potatoes are AMAZING (thanks to Peanut--aka Sheri--for menioning them in a post ages ago...I never got to thank you for this yummy treat)

Celestial Seasoning Tummy Mint Tea, Chamomile, Peppermint, Honey Peach Ginger, and Echinacea Complete Compare are GREAT! Also, Galil (a Turkish/Israeli company--you can find this in a Kosher store), makes a mean Fennel tea!

Organic peeled apples bakes in the microwave are a great way to bring apples back into your diet without the pain!

Empire Turkey Breasts pre-packaged are fat free! The ingredients are basic...and it's yummy too!

If spice bothers you, try mild spices like basil, oregano, parsely flakes, paprika, cinnamon, etc. as you're starting out. Salt is also ok.

If you have a corn allergy, make sure that nothing you eat has maltodextrin in it--this is a corn derrivitive. Also, be careful when eating products containing salt. Salt often contains maltodextrin--Kosher for Passover salt does not, so maybe look for that.

ALWAYS re-read ingredients. Ingredients are always changing!

If you want to eat a vegetable--steam it and peel it first!

If you have gas things to try: Charcoal tablets (beware, they're constipating), fennel tea, walk around to move trapped air, drink at least 15 min. before or 1 hour after your meal. Also, try digestive enzymes (beano is one example--but it's not the only one out there!)

Tomatoes, onions, and garlic are sometimes triggers for people. Just something to look out for.

If something is a trigger/is not a trigger today, this might change tomorrow. If a food is a trigger now--try bringing it back in a month and see what happens--you might find you're able to eat a few bites of this food! (With soluble fiber as your main course, of course)!

If you can digest soy, Silk soy products are yummy! If you're looking for fat free, West Soy makes a fat free vanilla soy drink.

If I need a treat, I go for Marshmallows. They're a pretty basic food and are gentle on my tummy. (As always, check for added/hidden ingredients).

You may find one brand of a specific type of food is fine and not another. For example, I can eat Gefen unsweetened applesauce (Kosher for Passover only--because I can't eat corn and most applesauce contains salt/maltodextrin), but not Shaw's generic brand unsweetened applesauce. You may want to keep a food journal to note these things. This will make grocery shopping easier and will put your mind at ease knowing which brands are ok ahead of time.

The less processed the food is, the better. First of all, this is better for overall health. Second, it makes food easier to digest!

Every IBSer is different. What may be a trigger for you may not be a trigger for someone else and vise versa. Figure out what you can/can't eat--and enjoy!

I hope that this is helpful info. I have been reading this board and researching since March and these are some of the things I've learned from this board, through my research, and through my own experiences. Thanks again to the wonderful folks on this board who really make a difference when you're trying to put your life back together. I love you all!

Ruchie, East Coast, USA

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#9593 - 05/21/03 10:32 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Has anyone tried 8th Continent soy milk? I'm not sure how long it's been around, but I just tried it for the first time last week. It is so good! This is by far my fav so far (out of Westsoy, Vitasoy, & Silk--I think that's all the others I've tried so far )

I also like Rice Dream's rice milk & Silk and Stonyfield Farms soy yogurt (Stonyfield makes a chocolate! )

I like Galaxy Nutritional Foods rice cheeses & veggie parm, Soy Garden Spread, and that's all I can think of right now!

#9605 - 05/21/03 11:59 AM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

This is what I can think of off the top of my head:

Earth Balance Natural Buttery Spread

Vitasoy Creamy Original Natural Soymilk (read the ingredients on other brands of soy milk--if you can't pronounce it, don't drink it!)

WholeSoy Creamy Cultured Soy (= yogurt)

WholeSoy Frozen Cultured Soy (= frozen yogurt)

WholeSoy Glace (= ice cream; higher in fat than the Frozen Cultured Soy and not significantly better)

Rice Dream Original Enriched Nondairy Beverage

SoyaKaas (= cheese; the Cheddar will do for cooking and the Mozzarella is actually good)

Tofutti Sour Supreme (= sour cream; thin it with lemon juice for a more realistic texture)

Tofutti Better than Cream Cheese

Vavel brand preserves and fruit butters are sweetened with sugar rather than high-fructose corn syrup

Thai Kitchen Instant Rice Noodle Soups--avoid the Thai Ginger and Vegetable and the Bangkok Curry flavors, because just those two contain both coconut milk and milk protein powder--the other three flavors are safe

#9606 - 05/21/03 01:14 PM
Laurie

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: Houston, TX

Target sells a good organic chicken brand. It's already packaged like Tyson's.

No Yolk brand noodles work good for me when I make my chicken noodle soup.

--------------------
Laurie

Nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission - Eleanor Roosevelt

#9648 - 05/22/03 12:00 AM
jasperlovel

Reged: 05/21/03

hi mag this rice milk you metioned. does it come in a can?
is the rice milk with the soy products? this 8th continent you metioned . is it a soy milk of some kind?

--------------------
ive had ibs for 8 years now. im learning alot on this web board. thanks again everyone

Re: Good idea... new
      #9649 - 05/22/03 12:08 AM
jasperlovel

Reged: 05/21/03

kinoz, do you ever try prelief? is a pill whats for acids foods. i started takeing a few months ago. heres the web site for it. www.prelief.com

--------------------
ive had ibs for 8 years now. im learning alot on this web board. thanks again everyone

#9658 - 05/22/03 03:31 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Hi! The rice milk comes in those aseptic boxes that are not refrigerated. (They have refrigerated also, but I've never seen it.) They have soy milks in the same spot. I've never seen rice milk in a can. Usually, I find these in my grocery store near the hot chocolate & chocolate milk mixes. In Whole Foods, they have a whole aisle of "milk" products.

The 8th Continent is soy milk. That one's refrigerated, and in my grocery store, they sell it right next to regular milk. Here's their site if you want the ingredients/nutrition info. 8th Continent & here's the one for Rice Dream

#9702 - 05/22/03 02:40 PM
Peanut

Reged: 02/09/03
Loc: England

Well done Ruchie with the great list! I switch between corn flakes and grits for breakfast (since I have a rice intolerance ) and try to make sure that I switch my foods around a bit so I am not having the same veggie every day.

For soymilk I like Westsoy.

If I have veggies I always peel (if they can be) and cook first. If I have veggies like peas (unless mushy peas) and green beans, after I have cooked them, I puree them and don't seem to have problems. I also like to have a baked pear and apple, which I then mix each half and puree that for my breakfast and mid-morning snack. Yams and sweet potatoes are my favorite.

I sometimes like to take low-fat graham crackers and spread a little IBS safe jelly on it and put it in the microwave for a few seconds to have it nice and warm.

I don't seem to have any problems with the Smucker's all-natural seedless jam.

I will keep thinking about good name brands.

Thanks guys for all of your idea's so far!

Peanut AKA Sheri LOL!!

--------------------
So much baking, so little time.....

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 289 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 58294

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review