All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
I Was Drinking Too Much Water
      #90139 - 07/14/04 06:43 PM
joesorce

Reged: 07/14/04

For years I was drinking 8 to 10 big glasses of water a day. Couldn't find out what was causing my symptoms. Finally I cut down to drinking only when I'm thirsty. For about 2 months now I've only been drinking maybe a pint and a half of water daily. I eat everything and my symptoms are 80percent better. Some systems just can't process all that water.

Seems to me that IBS has hit epidemic proportions over the last ten years, which just happens to be about the time that they got us believing that everyone needs to drink 2-3 quarts of water daily. With all the crap they add to drinking water, it's a wonder I hadn't thought of this earlier. WATER was causing all my symptoms, that's what I've come to believe. I hope this helps someone else, worth a try anyway.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I Was Drinking Too Much Water new
      #90175 - 07/14/04 08:47 PM
jeenerz

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Northwest Montana

WOW! That's quite the statement! Every where you hear drink, drink, drink! Especially if you're on a SFS. I try to drink about 64oz/day and I can't seem to stablize with the ibs. Plus, I have scoliosis really bad and my chiropractor says water is so greatly needed for my bones and all. Yet, it does make me wonder as my ibs has flared up greatly in the last couple of years since I've tried to drink more water. I used to hardly drink any water--just was never thirsty.. and didn't have any problems with ibs either...definitely something to think about....thanx for the info
Janene

Too much water....or not enough salt/minerals? new
      #90257 - 07/15/04 06:39 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

I've had problems in the past when I drank too much water, but the problem wasn't with the amount of water in the end. I have low blood pressure, and when I drank too much water without getting some compensatory salt and other minerals, I would bloat up like you wouldn't believe and get very fatigued.

Once I stumbled across a doc who explained this to me, I started drinking more Gatorade and indulging in pickles and pretzels. Voila - less bloating, less fatigue.

Of course, everyone is different and people probably all have different water requirements. Speaking as someone with IBS-C, though, I'm happier the more (warm) liquids I drink!

--AC

#90259 - 07/15/04 06:44 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I have heard excess water can cause MORE C for some physical reason and Heather's advice about ice cold water really has helped me. I personally feel that the recommended amount of water is optimum. I also really notice my tummy ache if I drink ice cold water. I drink it but hold it in my mouth to warm up since I hate lukewarm water.
But again the problems come about in my opinion when some people drink so little water (well most people) so we are told to drink a lot of water as in way more than you might be used to. But I have never heard anyone trustworthy and qualified claim a person should drink huge quantities. Like everything else it must be done in moderation. I weight 125 so I drink 60-70 ounces of water-less if I don't exercise. Someone 200 lbs should drink 100 oz but no more I should think. Hope this helps!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#90463 - 07/15/04 01:32 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Joesorce, welcome to the board. Sorry to hear that too much water seemed to be a problem for you. You didn't say whether you are C or D. It's important to keep in mind that people with C definitely need to drink a fair amount of water, more so than D'ers. But it's true that we have to pay attention to our bodies and what they're telling us. I'm glad you listened to yours.

Everybody, just FYI, not many people realize that the suggestion on average to consume 8 glasses of liquid a day relates to all liquids not just water. Juice counts, soy milk counts, soups count, herbal tea counts, the water you mix your SFS in counts. If you don't believe me, look it up on the web.

Remember everybody, "moderation in all things." If you take ANYTHING to an extreme, it'll kill ya! Use your heads, have some common sense, and you'll be fine!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Speaking of pickles... new
      #90539 - 07/15/04 04:18 PM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

Are pickles safe to eat??? I am a C too. I have had this love for pickles all of my life (to the point that I received a gallon from Santa Claus one year ). Oh how I would love to be able to eat them again!

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

Re: Speaking of pickles... new
      #90647 - 07/15/04 09:16 PM
Jayne in Japan

Reged: 07/14/04

Pickles are good. At least I haven't had any trouble with them. Pickled plums are popular in Japan. They are called "Umeboshi". Not sure if you can get them in Asian markets abroad. My doctor even recommended that I eat them!

#90709 - 07/16/04 06:35 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

I've never had trouble with pickles, but then I'm C...and I don't have any during my D episodes. Maybe you could try a couple of slices on a turkey sandwich and see how you fare? If your belly doesn't object to that, then perhaps a spear after you've had some soluble fiber might also be ok.

We get yummy garlic dills from a vendor at our local farmer's market, so I know that they're fresh and that there's no preservatives. Since IBS'ers are extra sensitive to additives and the like, you might want to go with something like that. Do you have any neighbors with cucumber plants who like to pickle?

--AC (who lived in Minnesota for 5 years!)

#90720 - 07/16/04 06:48 AM
####

Reged: 04/05/04

You can get umeboshi in some Asian supermarkets in the Houston area. I would venture to say that in California and Washington state they're available all over the place

I had the same problem...I am a "C" new
      #90721 - 07/16/04 06:50 AM
####

Reged: 04/05/04

drinking too much caused "D" a 5 pound water weight gain and horrible bloating. I have since found a better balance and tend to be regular thank the Lord!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1991 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 11688

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review