All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
I need a little advice from an IBS-C or A
      #84761 - 06/30/04 07:01 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I feel bad posting about this again, but I'm seriously at my wits' end, and none of the advice I was given last time is helping me.

I normally consider myself an A, but I'm very C right now. When I had problems at the campground last week, I took one full dose of imodium, just so I'd be sure to get home ok (1 1/2 hour drive! ugh!). One normal dose won't constipate a normal person, but I guess I'm not normal. I've been trying to "go" the past 3 days and can't. I literally can't push hard enough to get much of anything out - it's like my intestines and colon have stopped contracting altogether.

I've been a good little IBSer and have been eating my insolubles, drinking plenty of water (120-140oz a day would do it, right?), and have NOT cheated in the slightest. Yes, I'm taking a SFS. Yesterday, I finally got desperate and took some docusate sodium & used suppositories - still nothing. Darnit, I miss pooping.

Part of the problem is that I *am* an A - so I swing to the other extreme as well, which has me really scared to take much of anything in the way of laxatives. Usually when I take them, I end up with D for days afterwards.

What on earth can I do? Now and afterwards? It seems like since I've started Heather's diet, the C problem has just gotten worse and worse. I guess it still beats constant D (which is where I was at before), but not by much.

*sigh*

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I need a little advice from an IBS-C or A new
      #84786 - 06/30/04 07:55 AM
ibsgrl

Reged: 04/18/04
Loc: Canada

Hey I feel your pain, really I do. For the C there is nothing that helps enough a lot of the time. You just have to wait. I really don't want to sound like I am minimizing your prob but at least when you do go eventually you can essentially get everything out.
BUT THAT DOES NOT MAKE UP FOR THE PAIN AND DISCOMFORT AND WASTE OF DAYS THAT COMES WITH IT!!!!
Trust me, I understand it and it is so annoying that something like this prevents us from having a good day. How silly (as most would think) yet how serious for us. When we feel like this, though it may sound selfish, I am not going to pretend I am fine. In that regard I feel sorry for myself and annoyed that this has to effect everything we do!
The options are slim sometimes - I mean sure you could take a laxative but in the end that can only make you feel worse (trust me I have tried )
It's all about waiting and like you, I am often at my wits end.
Still, I will make a few suggestions - drink liquids (I prefer hot) throughout the day. You'll know you're getting enough when you constantly need to pee hehe. At least that way everythings not just sitting there...hardening. ew. yuck. this sucks...lol
Um, yeah when I get like that it is so hard to want to eat -personally I would say eat more insolubles right now, don't worry about solubles as much (hope I don't get into trouble for saying that!!!) But seriously, though its bad and you're not supposed to have it...it might be some time for some coffee (caffeine) Seriously, if you're desperate, I would....not too much though since you do get D...

Anyway sorry for the rambling post!!!

oh and p.s. - I definitely think immodium could have been the culprit. It actually can constipate a D person, and since you are A, it is even more likely that this had an effect on you!

I had a feeling you'd reply... new
      #84793 - 06/30/04 08:10 AM
atomic rose

...and I knew you'd understand where I'm coming from. I should have just asked you in the first place!

Believe me, I am definitely not pretending everything is fine. I think my boyfriend is sick of hearing me complain, haha.

I will try the hot liquids (as opposed to cold), and I'm definitely not taking any more laxatives - I took 2 yesterday and they didn't do a cussed thing except make me nauseous. That's pretty funny, the suggestion about the coffee - I was just going to edit my first post, saying that I was almost at the point of eating all my trigger foods with wild abandon, because I'm that desperate.

I guess the only reason I'm really worried about it is because - without getting into a whole lot of detail - it DOES seem to be hardening. And I really am drinking a lot... I'm in the bathroom constantly. Yeah, this does suck. I am NEVER taking imodium again. Ugh.

Thanks for your advice, though! Even if "wait it out" is the best thing to do, it's reassuring that someone else knows what I'm talking about. You know how that goes.

Re: I had a feeling you'd reply... new
      #84809 - 06/30/04 08:35 AM
ibsgrl

Yup Casey, I know exactly where you're coming from...and sometimes I just wish I lived ALONE. I mean, I go downstairs to make myself a cuppa tea and my sister goes Wow you drink a lot of tea, 2 cups in less than an hour (Um, yeah so). And I go, WELL ITS FOR A REASON! She didn't get it, but, sheesh, just lemme ALONE!
Man, if I were you I would SO be eating my trigger foods. By this point its hard to say which would be worse!!!! Unfortunately for me, nothing gives me D, and my trigger foods would make me more C. I am once again in the same boat as last week my stomach is HUMONGOUS and hurts.
Don't worry about to much detail here or with me. I'm so over that. Who cares....not me!

Re: I need a little advice from an IBS-C or A new
      #84817 - 06/30/04 08:45 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

I am an A also, and Immodium in a full dose put me into a full stop for 2 days. Even after that, it was a slow resolution process. Sorry you feel so bad!! I understand EXACTLY how you feel though!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Re: I had a feeling you'd reply... new
      #84828 - 06/30/04 08:56 AM
atomic rose

At least I don't have to deal with the dumb questions and comments as much. I don't live alone, but the boyfriend is pretty understanding, to an extent. The only "problem" is that he's NEVER constipated - literally never - so he's not nearly as sympathetic when I'm like this as when I'm swinging to the other extreme.

Yeah, yeah, I know - no such thing as TMI here. lol! Yesterday I got a little bit out. Today it's like a brick... 2 hours later, I STILL hurt from trying. 'Nuff said.

Honestly, if I actually knew what my triggers were, I'd probably be eating them right now. By the time I started the diet, I was literally not eating, and I'd go a week or so eating nothing but crackers, soda, and tea. I still don't know if the D was from the caffeine, the HFCS, the carbonation, or just not eating. I'm drinking red tea now, but I think I'm going to switch to regular after this cup.

Sooner or later, I hope I figure out the right balance of things to keep this from happening. It's really pretty discouraging.

I can relate new
      #84839 - 06/30/04 09:09 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

I have have horrible C lately---with a huge bloated tummy and in such pain, so I understand what you're going through. It is painful and many times, other than swinging back and forth between laxatives and Immodium, there's not a lot you can do about it. I never take Immodium, no matter how much D I have, for this reason. It stops me up so bad!!!
The only thing that helps me is drinking very warm (almost hot) water with a little lemon juice in it. If you can't gulp it, it's too hot. But you want it really warm. Drink this throughout the day. And stay away from bread, rice and potatoes because that will thicken things even worse (sorry to gross some of you out!) But sometimes I feel like I have MUD inside of me. It's in there---it just ain't going anywhere----and it's painful. I fully understand that feeling of your system being totally shut down.
Sorry I'm not much help. I've tried eating all of my trigger foods too, thinking that will force things to get moving, and that usually makes matters worse. Sometimes a Diet Coke (my weakness!) will move things along for me. But I don't advise drinking caffeine on an empty stomach---or it may cramp your stomach up even worse and you will be bloated like a whale! Drinking a Diet Coke after a bowl of cereal in the morning helps me. (Sorry, Heather, but whatever works, works!!!)
Hope you feel better soon. I wanna see you standing at the sink, drinking your very warm water. This grosses my family out, but it helps me so much, that I don't mind it at all.

Hmm... new
      #84853 - 06/30/04 09:20 AM
atomic rose

Actually, I was just reading a book of herbal remedies (that I keep forgetting I have), and hot lemon-water is suggested. Think I could sweeten it with honey? (I may try that. The book suggests honey as well.) I never "gulp" anything so it's hard to say how that's going to work, heh, but I'll try almost anything at this point. Thanks for the suggestion! And I'm so, so sorry you know how I feel.

Re: IBS-C and Venting! :) new
      #84864 - 06/30/04 09:32 AM
Wookie

Reged: 04/01/04
Loc: n/a

Hello IBS-Cers! I have been reading this thread and thought I would add. I was told by this women on weight watchers (and just a very health concious individual) mixing 2 quarts of water with 8 lemons (even the rines are put into the water after squeezing them) works as a natural laxative. It is certainly worth a try. She drinks that amount daily to flush her system natuarally (she doesn't have IBS).

Also, I must vent a moment about bloating. I have always had a pot (sp?) belly but I am a small person (5'2 120lbs). When I had my first IBS attack last summer, my stomach got even more bloated. I swear I could pass for 6-7 months pregnant! And when it is 2 weeks prior to my period, I really look it! I have been waiting for someone to ask me when I was expecting for a year and it happened 2 weeks ago. I was talking to my cousin that I hadn't seen in a year and he asked if I was pregnant. I about started to cry and they weren't tears of joy if you know what I mean! Do you guys have the same bloated tummy most days? I am not even gassy really. Hardly ever pass gas but it just stays swollen. I am even going everyday now and I was used to only going every 3 days before I got IBS-C. Anyway, just wanted to hear your situation so maybe I won't feel so alone in this bloated world!!

--------------------
~Wookie

Re: I can relate new
      #84872 - 06/30/04 09:41 AM
ibsgrl

ugh i am actually in so much pain today. i know theres stuff "in there" and i just used a suppository but it didn't help much. it is so uncomfortable and i am just feeling really sorry for myself. i want a new colon.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1518 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 23460

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review