All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Barium test- ouch!! What's in that??
      #71224 - 05/17/04 06:14 PM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

I had a barium test today, where they made me drink all this disgusting thick white stuff. Oh MAN is it killing me now!!! Bad cramps! I barely walk What the hell do they put in this stuff? Any dairy??

--------------------
IBS-C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Barium test- ouch!! What's in that?? new
      #71233 - 05/17/04 06:41 PM
DanaNoel

Reged: 04/06/04
Loc: Houston, Texas

I don't know what they put in that but my body was like "um, i'm not sure what this is, but I want it out NOW!" I was in so much pain. I can't tell you how long you will have pain and cramps because it all came out of me about 5 minutes after the test was done. And I mean ALL of it! I was in the hospital bathroom forever.

I really hope you get that stuff out of your system soon so you can start feeling better.

--------------------
Dana

#71237 - 05/17/04 06:48 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Ohh yeah, I remember that well. First I thought I was literally going to explode from forcing all that thick, chalky junk into my little stomach. And then the D... oh yes. I don't know what's in it but I'm sorry you had to drink it! Don't worry, you'll be back to normal soon.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#71268 - 05/17/04 09:21 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

I can totally sympathize with you, for whatever reason I have never been as sick as I was following the stupid barium test. Explosive D, bad cramps, the works, it was awful
I'm not sure what they put in it, but it's supposed to be terribly constipating, so in a way you can be happy that it's coming out (if it is) because once you get constipated with that stuff it can be hard (so I've heard).

What flavor was it? Because one thing my doc mentioned was that sometimes what they use to flavor it can cause a problem. Mine was strawberry, so he pointed out the fact that the strawberry extract might have made me sick.

Hope you feel better soon!
Kelly

#71271 - 05/17/04 10:24 PM
jrs

Reged: 03/31/03
Loc: Aberystwyth, Wales

I don't know -- I thought the prep was way worse than the actual procedure. I remember taking the super-duper laxatives before starting to teach piano lessons, thinking that it would graduallly come into effect. I was kind of wrong about it.

#71307 - 05/18/04 06:10 AM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

Ugh, I remember this all too well. Thick, heavy white crap. My poo was white/gray for a couple of days after! Yuk! Did you have to drink the fizzie stuff? That about near killed me. I went home and took some Melatonin (natural sleep aid) and konked out for the remainder of the day.

--------------------
~jules

#71336 - 05/18/04 07:38 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Well, if its coming out, thats a good thing!! I was SO constipated after drinking the barium, it was awful!! It took me nearly 2 weeks to get it all out. My tummy felt like a rock! Don't let yourself get dehydrated becuase than the stuff will dry out inside your colon and will really hurt to pass it!

Feel better soon! Curl up with some tea and the heating pad!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#71378 - 05/18/04 09:10 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

That's right, I totally forgot about how constipating that junk was and how when I finally started going again it was all weird and white for almost a week. Ahh, the joys of IBS.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#71434 - 05/18/04 01:09 PM
sherr1

Reged: 10/07/03
Loc: Southern, Calif

OOH!! Hugs to you, Yes like everyone else Me too!! Awful DDD
but after I got it all out what a relief still had D but not as bad. My flavor was strawberry too, chocolate didn't appeal to me. Keep lots of fluid in ya and it'll pass faster. Hey Melatonin great stuff and all natural, have some of that and a cup of Chamomile and your relaxed!!
Good luck thinking of you.
Sherri

#71674 - 05/19/04 12:44 PM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

Well I'm IBS-C so I have the joy of still having it in me, I wish it would have come out quickly like it did with some of you! And I chose now to cut down on my Zelnorm...eep! They should like warn people. And yes, that fizzy stuff was annoying. The flavor of that white stuff was some fruit flavor, maybe that's also what's hurting me. I'm not really having cramps anymore, but I'm still very bloated and haven't been able to get it out yet!

--------------------
IBS-C

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1872 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4375

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review