All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
quick questions
      #6001 - 04/13/03 07:18 PM
txmom

Reged: 03/24/03
Loc: North Texas

Hi everyone! I am fairly new to this site and this is my first post. I have suffered with IBS for years but just got the official diagnosis. Thank you, Heather. You have greatly improved my life. I just have some quick questions. (1) Has anyone taken Fennel Seed capsules? If so, were the helpful? (2) Should I be taking the fiber supplements right before a meal or 30 minutes before? I am currently taking Citrucel. I have a hard time drinking it and then sitting down to eat a meal. Sorry for such a long post.

Christina

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: quick questions new
      #6023 - 04/14/03 04:36 AM
britsarah

Reged: 02/16/03
Loc: United Kingdom

Welcome to the board Christina!
Don't worry about the length of your post, you should see some of them! But it's a great place for asking questions, getting out your frustrations etc.
If you use the Search function with no time restrictions for fennel, you will probably find some previous posts on the subject.
As for the soluble fibre, I take mine straight after a meal unless it's one I'm not sure of the content of, eg in a restaurant, when I take it before to 'line' my stomach well.
Again, previous posts will give you pointers as to what other people do.
Take care and keep posting!
Sarah

--------------------
Sarah

Looking for inspiration...

#6030 - 04/14/03 08:17 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I don't have answers to your questions--but I want to welcome you to the board! It's great that you just jumped right in with your questions--this is the best place to ask em'! I'm sure plenty of people on the board will have more info. for you. I'm glad to hear you were officially diagnosed and that Heather's book(s) have helped you--it sounds like you're feeling better! Good luck, and feel good!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#6077 - 04/14/03 05:33 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - I haven't seen fennel seed capsules and I don't think there have been previous posts about this. Fennel is great for IBS, especially bloating and cramps. Usually it's brewed as a tea. Are the capsules oil or a ground powder? Either way I'd think they'd be fine, and probably quite helpful.

You can take the soluble fiber whenever you prefer. It's nice to have right before a meal because then it will really "buffer" what you're eating and keep you stable. But if you don't feel like eating right after you take the stuff (and I don't blame you) then waiting the 30 minutes or so is just fine.

And welcome to the board!

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#6078 - 04/14/03 05:44 PM
pamk

Reged: 01/29/03

Howdy Heather! Miss me? I have a quick question regarding the fiber suppliments. Initially, I didn't take your advice and in using the Citricel. When I got tired of everthing else I was doing without great results I gave it a try. What a difference! My IBS-D is SOOO much better but I am wondering if I need to take more. Currently, I take 1 teaspoon a day and stay on a strict diet. (I rarely, if ever, cheat.) I noticed that the constant gas has all but ceased and I feel well most days. However, I still have a bout with diarrhea every 10 days for a single day. What is your suggestion? Hugs

#6079 - 04/14/03 06:08 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi Pam - Since you're still having problems every 10 days or so, I would increase your daily Citrucel. You can add another dose of 1 teaspoon (so one dose in the morning, one before or after dinner). Stay with that for a week or so - if you notice an increase in gas, hold the course until that subsides. Then you can increase both doses to 2t. Keep going like this until you don't have that lapse every 10 days. You can go up to 2T twice daily - but you don't have to go that high, and if you do get there gradually.

Of course I missed you!

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#6080 - 04/14/03 06:25 PM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Hi Christina - Well, since everyone else answered your questions, I'm just going to welcome you to the IBS board. You post was not long, like Sarah said, you should see some of them (and some of them are mine!)

I'm one of the moderators of the Recipe Exchange so please feel free to ask any questions about food or recipes you may have.

Re the fennel, I'm drinking a cup as we "speak". My husband and I went to a funeral today (his niece who had MS for years) and the food at the reception after was just full of fatty foods. I tried to pick the least worst of them, but it gave me gas anyway. Had to stop on the way home to "go". Anyway, as soon as I got home, I fixed a cup of fennel tea with honey and the gas and bloating are going bye-bye. It's expensive in the little bottles, so I'm going to the health food store this week and buying it in bulk. So, to answer your question, it does work. I haven't seen the capsules/pills but I kinda like the tea.

Again, welcome!

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

Edited by SharonMello (04/14/03 06:29 PM)

Thanks for the help, Heather - nt new
      #6101 - 04/15/03 05:25 AM
pamk

Reged: 01/29/03

#6111 - 04/15/03 07:38 AM
txmom

Reged: 03/24/03
Loc: North Texas

Thanks, everyone!!! I appreciate the feedback.

Christina

Re: quick questions Sharon new
      #6112 - 04/15/03 07:39 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Sharon,

You are WONDERFUL! You really know how to make people feel good!

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 523 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1892

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review