All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Having trouble with the whole simple carbs issue
      #57940 - 04/04/04 11:46 PM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

I know this sounds stupid, but I feel like eating all these simple carbs are bad. All I hear is about how good complex carbs are, and how awful white bread,ect. are for you. I mean I do try to eat as much fiber as I can, but I find myself avoiding all grains because I don't want to be unhealthy and eat high glycemic index foods, and I can't eat whole wheat. Is it really that bad for you, I mean are we all going to end up getting diabetes or something? I know this topic has been done many times, I'm not a newbie, but I just can't convince myself to eat grains(oats I can only eat occasionally, they give me trouble if too often). Is it better to just rely on fiber supplements and avoid simple grains?

--------------------
IBS-C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Having trouble with the whole simple carbs issue new
      #58009 - 04/05/04 07:41 AM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Ultimately your diet is up to you. I will say that I eat carbs all the time, simple or otherwise, and in the past 10 weeks I have lost 14 pounds. It's just a matter of calories in, calories out.

#58078 - 04/05/04 10:41 AM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I agree with chinagirl...your diet is up to you!!

I have been eating mainly carbs for the past couple of months and I've lost 12 pounds so far!!

#58087 - 04/05/04 10:49 AM
jjr

Reged: 04/01/04
Loc: Roanoke, TX

how have you girls (kimm and chinagrl) lost so much weight? that's great!! i'm new to this diet too, so i have similar concerns about all the carbs and white bread. do you exercise a lot? and if so, does that help in reducing ibs symptoms?

For JJR new
      #58106 - 04/05/04 11:38 AM
Kimm

I'm actually a really lazy person and really don't exercise at all unless I'm forced to.

So the answer is no...I don't exercise lots (although I'm going to start walking after dinner once the weather warms up)...I've lost 12 pounds just from simply following Heather's diet.

Re: For Kimm new
      #58123 - 04/05/04 12:09 PM
jjr

Reged: 04/01/04
Loc: Roanoke, TX

WOW!!! i never would think it because of all the carbs...but i guess cutting out dairy, red meat, fried foods, etc. is a good thing. i guess the carb thing has been put in my head by all the media about no carbs. i hope i lose weight too. i just started the diet this weekend and am still trying to get the basics down. i'm concerned i'm gonna do it wrong, but am just taking it one meal at a time.
CONGRATULATIONS on your weight loss...that's awesome!!

#58126 - 04/05/04 12:17 PM
Megs

Reged: 04/03/04

That was my only problem too, am i going to end up with diabetes from so many carbs, and I'd be interested in hearing other peoples views or experience. I have not gained weight with eating carbs because it is mostly all that i eat. I lost 12 pounds in the first 10 days. I understand that is not healthy and it is most likely because i have severly restricted my intake of food because of fear of diarrhea but before I found this site that is what I had to do. I am eating now(a little more) and still losing weight but not as rapidly. I also need to step up and exercise again. I used to go to the gym atleast 3 days a week and go to yoga class once a week. Cutting out the take out food, dairy, red meat, sugary soda etc. has made a huge change in my weight and body.

#58128 - 04/05/04 12:22 PM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

Well not even really concerned about the weight issue, more just about the whole grains vs. simple, people say how bad they are health-wise. My sister keeps wanting to buy whole grain bread cause it's healthier, and reprimanding me for eating white...yet I can't digest that. So I dunno, I guess I never really thought about it before while growing up, but nowdays people seem very into whole wheat=good, processed grains=bad, so I feel like I'm being very unhealthy.

--------------------
IBS-C

Benefits? new
      #58135 - 04/05/04 12:47 PM
Kimm

I guess it you just have to weigh out the benefits....

I know that I would rather eat all carbs (even if it were extremely unhealthy) and not feel sick all the time....rather than eating whole grains, etc and even though it may be healthier...not be able to leave my house.

Some people aren't as severe in their symptoms though...

"simple carbs" vs, complex carbs vs. refined carbs new
      #58144 - 04/05/04 01:05 PM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

Well, this is such a complicated subject, and so heated for those of us who fight to keep our weight under control.

I know that I live just fine without many of the "carbs" like French bread and sourdough bread. I don't eat gluten, so all bread is out for me. I do just fine on this diet without those. But I do eat a lot of potatoes and rice. Have I gained weight from it. Not a bit. In fact, I've lost about 30 pounds over the last year + on this diet. I'd lost 10 other pounds on a "traditional" diet prior to changing to Heather's plan. I have maintained that loss and the new 30 for over 6 months. Why do I think that is? Because the "carbs" aren't the point-- the huge power they wield as soluble fiber is the point, to me. It fills my large intestines so that I don't get cramping or diarrhea or constipation.

Do I think I'm going to get cancer or die from eating these things? NO WAY. Sweet potatoes, white potatoes, red potatoes, rice... these aren't going to kill me. Let's focus specifically on rice, for example: White rice is white because the insoluble fiber "husk" on the outside has been taken off. Many many cultures and civilizations have subsisted on white rice as a staple of their diets. Asian communities, for example. Most of those cultures and civilizations have much lower cancer rates than we Americans do. You know what's going to kill me? Eating tons of McDonalds like I used to.... eating processed chips and so forth like many people do. Not getting my veggies, my fruit, my vitamins and minerals because I am eating junk all day, junk I pick-up at the 24-hour market or even the gas station--- that's going to make me fat and sluggish and eventually kill me.

I don't eat "simple carbs" much. Simple Carbs are defined as "candy, honey, pop, donuts, sweetened cereal, cakes, sweet fruit, fruit juice, white sugar, brown sugar, corn syrup, maple syrup, molasses, sucrose, glucose, fructose, dextrose, and other "...ose" variations." Refined carbs are white breads, white rice, non-whole grained breads, pasta, etc... and those aren't nearly as bad as "simple carbs." They may be processed, but remember that the processing takes out the bad bits--- the part that mess up our digestive tracts! (Some vitamins and minerals are also removed, but since they're not the only things I eat, I don't worry about that. I get my vitamins and minerals for other foods!) No need to overdo them, but you shouldn't be overdoing ANYTHING! A nice variety... a broad variety of safe foods with a soluble fiber base. That's what I need to keep myself happy. And full. And not wandering around looking for the next snack! Simple carbs are what do that to me! I make sure I am eating other complex carbs, like veggies and legumes and lentils and nuts carefully. This helps me get my nutrients. I also take a multivitamin.

If it makes you feel better... I've found that by taking my soluble fiber supplement (in my case, acaia), I do not require as much soluble fiber with my meals. It's there, but I don't need as much as I used to. I used to need to eat 90% soluble fiber just to keep myself stable. I have stablized and now take a few tablespoons of rice with my salmon and cooked broccoli, maybe a half a baked potato with my chicken and asparagus, a few bananas and my acacia in my smoothie to go with the soy milk, peaches, pears, strawberries... there's always a soluble base, but it doesn't always have to be the whole meal!

Does that help at all??

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 175 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 23717

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review