All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Please Help. IBS and PCOS - what to do?
      #5446 - 04/08/03 10:25 AM
Yolanda

Reged: 02/01/03
Loc: New Hampshire

I'm very frustrated. I have IBS-C, have had it for YEARS, started as IBS-D. I also have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, which is a hormonal problem that causes insulin resistance, as well as many other things. I am about 90 lbs overweight. I have Heathers book, love it, and followed it for about a month very carefully. I gained 10 lbs in one month. I spoke with my Dr., who I like, but I'm not sure he really gets IBS & PCOS. Anyway, he said it was the IR that caused me to gain the weight, and I needed to cut out the carbs. I did an Atkins like diet for 2 weeks, and lost the whole 10 lbs., but my tummy was (and is) a mess! I haven't had a BM in days! And I am taking Zelnorm, which at first was wonderful, but now isn't working anymore.

I know I need to find a compromise. Low carb, but also low fat, no dairy, etc. I feel like I will be in prison, living on water! I can digest salad (thank God) so I will continue to eat them, with a small amount of low fat dressing. And I love soup, so I will continue with my broth/veggie/chicken soup.

I guess what I'm asking is if any of you have the same problem, and if you do, what do you eat? Also, if you don't, can you think of what else is low carb/low fat at the same time? You guys are all so creative, I'm sure you can help out! (I HOPE!)

Thanks for listening!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Please Help. IBS and PCOS - what to do? new
      #5449 - 04/08/03 10:45 AM
Karin

Reged: 02/11/03
Loc: Southern California

Low Fat/Low Carbs is how I try to eat. I had been on the Specific Carbohydrate diet to try and conquer this IBS, but it didn't work. When I brought the carbs back, it was brutal. Heather's diet works for me, except some high carb items, mostly pasta, potatoes and bread. It's very hard to balance the low fat/low carbs, mostly I eat meat, veggies and I make my own yogurt (cultured 24 hours minimum) and rice (rice doesn't seem to bother me). Since we all are very different, you'll just have to test out all these things for yourself and come up with a specific plan that works for you. I still haven't got it all down yet, still making a ton of mistakes. I have hope though that I will come up with a foolproof diet soon......LOL......as I think we all do.

#5474 - 04/08/03 01:07 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - There are quite a few previous posts on this topic, so I'm going to give you links:

web page
web page
web page

You can do a board "search" (in your top menu bar) and choose pcos, then choose a date range of 6 months or so to catch all posts.

Also, check here web page

This last link is about IBS/diabetes diet concerns, but some of the issues are relevant.

Don't despair, you can combine all your diet needs and still keep your IBS stable. Ask any other questions - that's what we're here for.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#371457 - 09/10/14 08:36 PM
melkunzer

Reged: 09/10/14

I have pcos and my boyfriend has IBS. When trying to balance the diets I have found that I can eat his breads and things if I use Whole Oat flour. Oat flour is lower in carbs, lower in fat, is gluten free, and is an ibs safe food. You can make your own by running steel cut oats through a food pressesor, or you can buy it at specialty stores. the only thing is because it is gluten free you have to mix it with the unbleached flour or add backing soda to cause the reaction for things to rise.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3793 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 32120

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review