All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Re: New member, distended belly :) new
      #49395 - 03/10/04 06:31 PM
Jules3

Reged: 03/10/04

Thanks for all your insight/commiseration. My stomach is like an air pouch now, and I can feel the bubbles moving around. Yuck I am currently drinking another cup of Peppermint tea, but I will take up the suggestion of Peppermint caps. And the fennel tea. Do you drink both that and Peppermint tea? I know they have slightly different effects, but can they be interchanged? I am moving next week so the stress causes my stomach to be worse, and also pushes me to eat comfort foods like frozen yogurt or low fat ice cream (full of bad lactose, but at least I cut out the fat...doesnt that count for something) which upsets my tummy on top of what the stress alone is doing. Plus I have had two 2 pill doses of Fibercon today and 2 cups of citrucel...and NOTHING has happened....very frustrated

Edited by Jules3 (03/10/04 06:34 PM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#49417 - 03/11/04 12:04 AM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hey Jules,
I thought I'd make a suggestion for a tea that I've found particularily helpful. I currently drink a lot of peppermint tea because I find it soothes my stomach and I really enjoy the taste; however, I agree that the fennel is much better for gas and bloating.
I actually found one tea that incorporates both into it that is quite good, although I still drink plain fennel and plain peppermint everyday. Anyways, it's called "Eater's Digest" (real cute eh?) and it's made by Traditional Medicinals. Here's a link to their site: http://www.traditionalmedicinals.com/
Anyways, this tea contains peppermint leaf, ginger root, papya leaf, alfalfa, fennel seed, rosehip and a few other incredients. I've found it really helpful and I personally think it tastes better than the plain fennel tea. I drink it when I'm feeling really bad and don't think I can stomach the fennel.
Good luck and I hope you feel better soon!
Kelly

#49553 - 03/11/04 09:41 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I think I'm on to something but not exactly sure what-I am trying to get pregnant so I stop the birth control pills I have been on for 15 years. I stopped the pills about 3 weeks and have noticed a big improvement in my tummy and have had very little bloating! But I have also had a really bad cold so haven't eaten much besides bread and soup, so not sure what to attribute the improvement to?! I have also been completely off my Lexapro (anti-depressant) for a week and I was a little concerned that would make my tummy worse but doesn't seem to be the case. I'm kinda an emotional wreck at the moment with going through the withdrawal of the drug and wanting to get pregnant, but as I said my tummy is actually better-not perfect but better for sure! I'll keep you posted as I start to feel better and expand my diet. Is it to hopefully to think most of my tummy problems were caused by the birthcontrol pills??

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#49657 - 03/11/04 12:21 PM
Bethany

Reged: 02/27/04
Loc: Nashville, TN

Michele -

That is crazy that you mentioned the birth control pills. I first started taking birth control pills about 5 years ago to regulate my cyles, my periods just kind of stopped coming. I was down to a light weight at the time and that might have been part of the reason.

In any case, I recently got married and so I have stayed on the pill. But when I think back to when my IBS symptoms started, it was around that time. I really think it may being playing a big part of it. I know antibiotics can destroy that "good" bacteria we need to digest food. Don't you think birth control could do the same thing over a period of time!? I would be interested in finding out more. Maybe we could do a poll for those who are on birth control.

Keep me updated on your symptoms!! I would like to go off the birth control, but my husband and I would probably not want to take that risk right now.

--------------------
"Love isn't love, until you give it away!"

Re: try this too....wierd, but seems to help me. new
      #49714 - 03/11/04 01:11 PM
kristy391

Loc: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

I took the advice of a friend who is a nurse, she told me that if you have an upset or gassy tummy, stretch out on the bed and lay on your left side. Did some experimenting with it and for some reason, the relief was faster laying on the left. Strange isn't it?

--------------------
Kristy

Re: Bethany new
      #49754 - 03/11/04 02:35 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I have been giving this a lot of thought. Some other girls on this board of mentioned having problems with the pill, I guess most of them have lactose in them, believe it or not! I have been tested and am not lactose intolerate, although I still stay away from dairy.

Anyway, When I was between 15-16 I went on the pill to regulate my periods, I had really heaving bleeding and terrible cramps. About the same time my IBS started. I have been on 3-4 different brands of pills over the last 17 years and my IBS has varied in degrees over the years as well. About 3-4 years ago, my OBGYN put me on orthotrycyline to help with my complexion, I didn't realize it at the time but I guess that is one of the stronger pills. My IBS has been espeacially bad since than! I've never really considered it a factor until now. My tummy has been almost normal for 3 whole weeks! That is the longest I have feel well in many, many years! As I said, the only other thing that has changed is since I have had a nasty cold the last 2 weeks my diet has been really limited to soups and bread. Although my hubby made chicken pad thi with veggies last night and I still feel fine today! I'm getting over my cold so will be eating more things and I'll keep you posted! Do a search if you want to see all the other threads about birth control pills!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#49767 - 03/11/04 02:54 PM
sss

Reged: 03/11/04
Loc: North Carolina

HanSolo, I'm new also. I've recently started doing vigorous excercise everyday. I was told to drink protein shakes to help buil muscle...will this irritate the IBS?
I aslo just recently taking Zelnorm. Today I bought some Fennel Seed, but it's in capsule form, did I get the right thing?

#49798 - 03/11/04 04:42 PM
Jules3

My doc gave me samples of Zelnorm, but when it because time to fill a srcip, my insurance wouldn't cover it and they were going to be 3 dollars a pill! In the course of the week I started taking them, I noticed no difference, so I am going to try upping my fiber, drinking the teas and changing my diet instead. I'll try all the suggestions, anything to help!

Re: birth control pills new
      #49802 - 03/11/04 04:55 PM
marjo

Reged: 01/13/04
Loc: Fort Wayne, Indiana

I went off my birth control pills 6 weeks ago. My system has changed dramatically for the better. I have had IBS for 14 years, and I feel almost normal again. I still eat all the right foods, but I no longer have D. This is such a welcome change, I can't believe it.

--------------------
Everything somehow always works out for the best.

Re: birth control pills new
      #49807 - 03/11/04 05:17 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Wow, this talk about the pill is very interesting! My IBS also seemed to worsen around the time I started the pill about 5 years ago... although it randomly got a whole lot worse about a year ago. Anyway, I even asked my doc whether or not the pill could have had anything to do with my IBS, and she flat out said no. She said she's never heard any kind of correlation between the two. Stupidly, I believed her, but now I'm wondering if it's just another case of the docs not knowing anything about IBS. I'm afraid to stop the pill, though, because my periods were sooo sporadic and I had terrible cramping. What the heck are we supposed to do in a situation like this?

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 639 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9235

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review