All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
New member, distended belly :)
      #49250 - 03/10/04 08:52 AM
Jules3

Reged: 03/10/04

I just joined this site...what a wonderful wealth of knowledge for those of us with "issues." I have had the symptoms of IBS for as long as I can remember, although it wasn't until fairly recently that realized it was more than just C. I eat pretty well. I've been taking lots of fiber, in the form of FIberCon pills, Citrucel powder, and natural fiber foods like apples. But for some reason it has not helped, and my stomach seems to be sticking out...It looks as if I am pregnant, but I am not. I've been drinking lots off Peppermint Tea, and that makes it feel better, but it still looks and feel very strange. Any suggestions?

Edited by Jules3 (03/10/04 01:56 PM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: New member, distended belly :) new
      #49274 - 03/10/04 10:04 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

HELLO and WELCOME!

Bloating seems to be one of the hardest things to control with IBS. Do you know how to do a topic search? Look up top in the green line and click on the search button. Type in bloating with no time restrictions and you will see ALL the posts relating to that!

Don't really have any suggestions, some people swear by funnel tea. I haven't found much that helps me
My pants are usually unbuttoned before I get home from work and I have 2 sets of clothes for "good belly" and "bad belly" days, so I can relate.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#49286 - 03/10/04 10:30 AM
Jules3

Thanks...I'll try that tea too. It's just so wierd...I've upped my fiber, and it seems like I am adding bulk, as thats what the supplements are for, but it is just sitting in my stomach. Doesn't feel so nice

#49291 - 03/10/04 10:48 AM
kristy391

Loc: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Hi Jules,
I get really bloated when I have anything with dairy. Once in a while I really miss having a glass of cold milk and break the rules and end up looking very pregnant about 20 minutes after I've consumed any dairy. When this happens I take an Enteric coated peppermint pill and it works everytime to get rid of the bloating.

--------------------
Kristy

#49319 - 03/10/04 12:12 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Hi and welcome!

Yes, bloating is the toughest symptom to control according to Heather. Different people on the board will have different suggestions, but for me the best relief for bloating is Phazyme or Gas-X. RiteAid has a generic version called Gas Relief that's cheaper. The active ingredient is simethicone and it breaks up the gas bubbles. I'm currently taking two every morning and I can button my jeans! Which is amazing since just like you I used to look pregnant too!

I just wish someone had told me about it 20 years ago!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#49350 - 03/10/04 03:09 PM
Jules3

I know there are some things I need to cut out, but they are the last of my vices...diet coke and frozen yogurt. I have cut WAY back, but can not quite eliminate them. I acutally trie cutting them both for a week, at separate times, and it was hard....but I noticed more of a change with the frozen yogurt gone. So now I only eat it ever so rarely.

#49368 - 03/10/04 04:37 PM
Debby

Reged: 11/05/03
Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

I've given in and bought some more comfy pants that fit better in the waste. I'm only 120lbs and having a "belly" of a 2nd trimester pregnant woman sometimes! Bloating I guess I can handle as long as there's no pain and no gas! Ewww

#49378 - 03/10/04 05:15 PM
Su

Reged: 10/04/03
Loc: VA

OOO,I've got to try this.Last nt. I was so miserable I walked and took fennel tea and layed on a heating pad(Sometimes lying on my tummy helps,go figure)

#49379 - 03/10/04 05:16 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Welcome to the boards! A bludgeoning belly is a common complaint here. Fennel tea is our best defense for bloating. Crush some fennel seeds up and put about a teaspoon in a mug of boiling water. Use a tea strainer to avoid a mess. It tastes like licorice. Personally, I hate the taste, but it really works well.
Also, chew your food thoroughly, and make sure you're not gulping food down. Eat slowly it will help decrease the amount of air you swallow.
The fibercon or citrucel could also contribute to the bloating, unfortunately. Cut one out at a time and see if you notice a difference in one. Heather's acacia fibre is sold here on this website and I recommend it.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Thanks new
      #49382 - 03/10/04 05:20 PM
Su

Reged: 10/04/03
Loc: VA

Thank you for posting this.It is so helpful to hear that others are still having trouble eliminating everything that hurts.I wish my will power was better.I just thought that others were able to just follow the rules.
Even tho. I rmemeber so well how awful it feels to get the bloated attack I still can't resist some temptaions I love.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 874 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9242

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review