All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
IBS- TODAY Show?
      #41254 - 01/27/04 11:53 AM
goffy6604

Reged: 11/25/03
Loc: Maryland

Just wanted to ask if anyone caught the TODAY Show, yesturday around 9:30am. They had a dr. on there that discussed IBS...causes,signs, and possible treatments. I thought the info was okay, but personally wish that Heather was on there to give more information. Any thoughts???

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Already a thread! new
      #41256 - 01/27/04 11:57 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Hi Goffy! There's actually already been a discussion aboout that here: web page

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Re: Already a thread! new
      #41258 - 01/27/04 12:03 PM
goffy6604

Thanks! Not on the message board much. My boyfriend also told me that the new movie, "Along Came Polly" the main guy character (Ben ?) has IBS and has an episode after eating spicy Indian food. I was very happy to see that it is getting talked about more. Though, the movie makes fun of the IBS (bathroom scene) at least people will here the word (IBS) more often...

Re: Already a thread! new
      #41260 - 01/27/04 12:06 PM
Kree

I agree! I haven't seen the movie yet, but I definitely want to. I guess anything that gets the word out is good!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Heather wrote a letter about this! new
      #41266 - 01/27/04 12:32 PM
Pixna

Reged: 01/23/04
Loc: Pennsylvania

Heather's letter was published in USA Today. She talked about the film and how it perpetuates some of the misconceptions about IBS. She also said that there are many ways to control IBS symptoms successfully. It was because of her letter that I found this site!

Hey, you found us from the letter? That's great!! -nt- new
      #41269 - 01/27/04 12:46 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

USA Today Letter new
      #41271 - 01/27/04 12:48 PM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

I'd love to read the letter, but could not find it on the USA Today website. Can someone point me in the right direction?

--------------------
- Jennifer

Re: USA Today? new
      #41272 - 01/27/04 12:48 PM
goffy6604

Can you tell us what USA Article you were in. I would be interested in reading about.
Thanks

USA Today Letter new
      #41273 - 01/27/04 12:57 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

I don't think it's on their website, but it was in the Wednesday, January 21 edition of Letters to the Editor, page 14A. The letter was in response to the paper's review of the movie Along Came Polly in the previous Friday's edition.

The headline was "Help for Disorder". The letter read:

Thank you for noting that in the movie "Along Came Polly" Ben Stiller's character has Irritable Bowel Syndrome. It was a nice change of pace to see this chronic health disorder, long stigmatized and ignored, given mainstream recognition and even treated sympathetically by Jennifer Aniston's character. I do realize that IBS has its humorous aspects and this was treated fairly within the context of the film. To be sure, if you can't laugh at IBS you will never survive it.

However, it was quite unfortunate that the movie perpetuated some serious misconceptions about the disorder. Though IBS is still incurable it is now well-researched, and there are a multitude of ways to successfully control the symptoms. Having lived with IBS since age 9, I'm well-aware of the tremendous difference that proper diet, stress management, gut-directed therapies, and supplements can make.

It was a shame to see this movie continue the falsehood that IBS must only be endured. The happy truth is that IBS can - and should - be proactively addressed and its symptoms alleviated.

Heather Van Vorous
President, HelpForIBS.com
Seattle

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: USA Today Letter new
      #41276 - 01/27/04 01:09 PM
Kree

Go Heather! That's a great letter. I wish I had seen it in USA Today, I would have been so excited!

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1584 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2172

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review