All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Embarrassing topic - but - maybe y'all can offer some advice
      #3762 - 03/22/03 06:40 PM
Kimbo

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: Edmonton, AB, Canada

Hey everyone. As y'all know - I'm struggling to get my IBS under control while living in Japan. I'm having a tough time but taking things slow. About 2 or 3 times a month, the same situation occurs and leaves me sick from head to toe, moaning and incapacitated in bed. I'm hoping that after reading my story - you might be able to shed some light on the matter.

-> Ok, so I'm wondering if I have IBS-C that when its bad - brings on "D". This is what happens to me around 2 or 3 times a month. I'll end up in the bathroom doubled over with severe cramping, pain, etc due to constipation. While I'm in there (usually a long time) I go through several stages of ummm ridding myself of the problem. I go from severe Constipation and then end up with severe "D" (I can't spell that word!). It's a cycle.

So what I need to know is - does the constipation activate the "D"??? Is it possible that after being constipated for so long that the most recent 'stuff' gets processed as "D"?

Another thing I need to know is - on average, how long does it take for your body to react to something bad? I ask this because yesterday I didn't eat anything that has affected me in the past - yet I went through hell and back again last night! Yesterday afternoon, I was teaching at a Japanese home. My host (and employer) made me lunch. I was lucky enough to subtly move our conversation over to the foods I am "allergic" to hence not having to consume sandwiches with Tuna Curry spread or Hot Dijon Mustard. (because if I hadn't been able to tell her - I would have been forced to eat them! You don't mess with Japanese hospitality!!)

So my sandwiches had sliced tomato, lettuce, cucumber (not usually a prob when sliced thin -which they were), a bit of mayo, and a piece of sliced ham (not usually a problem when thin) or a piece of sliced egg (not usually a problem). I was drinking only bottled water all day and night. I ate at approx 2pm and got sick at about 9:30pm. Was it the sandwiches or something in my dinner?

I know this is a long one! But hopefully someone can help me out!

Thanks in advance!!

Kim

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Embarrassing topic - but - maybe y'all can offer some advice new
      #3787 - 03/22/03 10:00 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Hi,
I can relate to your story. I too suffer IBS-C but occasional bouts of violent cramps and D. I usually find that these only happen if triggered by food, whereas my other symptoms really flare with stress. I am really careful with my food so these occasions are really rare for me now. My only recent one was when I ate restaurant food and I believe they ignored my request with the sauce onmy chicken breast!

I can see lots of potential triggers with the sandwhiches.

First, the ham - it is fatty. Second the mayo - may not have been fat free. Third the egg - egg yolk is really fatty. Add all that to the insoluble fibres in the salad ingredients and for me it would spell total disaster.

Even though these things may not have bothered you in the past you might find that they will now. I think it's better to be safe then sorry so I completely stick to Heather's diet as when I do I have other symptoms but not horrific cramping as in the past.

Hope this helps,
Kerrie

P.S

Are you taking daily fibre supps? These really help the constipation.

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

#3792 - 03/22/03 11:44 PM
Kimbo

Loc: Edmonton, AB, Canada

Thanks for the reply.

I know its possible that my triggers may have changed but so suddenly??

The mayo definately wasn't fat-free. They don't know what that is in Japan!

But my main concern is timing. If it was my lunch that triggered the attack - why did it take 7 hours? Isn't an attack, by definition - something that happens much quicker than that? How long should it realistically be from consumption to the point of attack. Isn't 7 hours too long and therefore the triggers could have been in my dinner which was eaten 2 hours before the attack?

I haven't been taking the fiber supps because I'm waiting to see if family members can ship me some from the states as it sounds like thats where the best selections are.

#3796 - 03/23/03 07:07 AM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Kim - tomato w/skin on isn't exactly ibs friendly either. Sometimes I start to get gas even before I get up from the dinner table, but that's when I eat more than I should (especially homemade bread w/nonfat dry milk in it). I think the stomach empties of food in about 3-4 hours, but I'm not positive.

How was your stress that day? Like Kerrie said, it could've contributed...

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

#3811 - 03/23/03 08:32 AM
Karin

Reged: 02/11/03
Loc: Southern California

I believe everyone is different in their attack timing. Mine is usually the next day. If I eat a bad dinner, I get the attack the next afternoon around noon. There have been times though when it's 1/2 hour, if I eat a fast food fried item or drink coffee. My daughter gets them quicker than I do, so it's pretty obvious it depends on the person and maybe even the food trigger content. As for new triggers, sometimes I can eat a salad, but other times it brings on a MAJOR attack. I think it may have something to do with whether or not I've healed from my last attack before I eat it. IBS is so weird.....lol.

#3813 - 03/23/03 09:26 AM
junipertre3

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: Chicago, IL.

step back girls, this is my department. kim, you have just described my life two years almost three years ago. except that i would have an attack at least once a week.
i too have ibs-c, but when i have and attack its severe cramping and then severe d. so let me tell you what it is, and what you can do to make it better.
first off, the fact that this happens every month or two shows that you are doing a pretty good job of taking care of yourself. you are sticking to the diet very well, or it may just be that traditional japanese food is very conducive to the diet. sushi, rice, and miso are the some of the safest things for me to eat.
secondly, what is going on is that you eat something that is not good for your tummy, but still not that bad, like the meal you described with the egg and ham and mayo, it's hard for your body to digest, so it ends up sitting in your system for too long and becomes hard and painful. it blocks everything else, all the good food, from being digested and passing normally. finally, your system is completely backed up, there's nowhere for the food to go! then you eat something, it doesn't even have to be a trigger, it can be perfectly safe, but your system doesnt know what to do with it so it panicks and starts to force everything out, resulting in lots of cramps and "d".
now, what can you do to prevent this from happening. stick to heather's diet, it works! be sure to get plenty of soluble fiber, and drink lots (at least half your weight in ounces, like i'm 120, so i need to drink 60 oz) of lukewarm water. also, you can probably feel when you are starting to get backed up, probably a day or two before your attack you feel crampy, especially in a particular spot in your abdomen. once you recognize the feeling, i would start taking a stool softener every day for no more than a week when you feel like it. also, when you have an attack and it's really bad, my doctor gave me a prescription for diclycomine, a muscle relaxant in 10mg capsules. i take one when i'm having a bad attack, it stops the cramping, but then there's the problem of still being blocked up. so then i take a stool softener capsule, like surfak and then another one the next day until things start moving again. so again, what you need are;
heather's book- stick to the diet! it helps, even with your attacks, they won't be as long or as painful.
diclycomine 10mg or its equivalent
stool softener capsules, surfak for example
don't worry, it will get better. and stay away from that mayo and egg yolks, that alone will make me ill.
take care,
laura

#3919 - 03/24/03 09:11 AM
H2

Loc: Ohio

Good luck with getting yourself straightened out... your symptoms sound an awful lot like mine (only mine are more frequent). Today was a "d" day for me, I feel like I've lost half my body mass out my back end. I have a dr. appt this afternoon, they will be surprised when I step on the scale and only weigh half as much as usual!

I have only been on Heather's diet for about 2 weeks, but already things are much less severe. The soluable fiber has been a tremendous blessing. I saw that you are waiting for your family to ship some to you. I wanted to mention that Heather had a post that says Medichest.com ships internationally, has great choices, and is well priced.

Good luck and hang in there!

-h2

--------------------
-h2
"Soluble fiber not included."

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1204 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1527

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review