All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
HELP PLEASE
      #373837 - 03/31/19 04:23 PM
OwensMimi

Reged: 01/04/19

Through this group and many of Heather's items I was able to get a life long IBS-D issue under control and pretty stable. Last year, in October, I had what I call an IBS-D attack and my gut has not be the same since. I have had an endoscopy, colonoscopy, stool tests (one of which was a calprotectin used to detect IBD and it was elevated) - but neither scope who US or Crohn's - blood work etc and so far, 4 months and loosing 12 pounds later - I am at a loss. I use the peppermint capsules, peppermint tea, and the acacia tummy fiber and have for years - when the almost daily cramping and diarrhea started usually 10 minutes to 2 hours after I would eat, anything, I slowly increased my acacia fiber - I also use citrucel fiber and NOTHING helps. I was checked for celiac, for like the 12th time and it said negative. I believe that pasta, healthy bread, rice, pretzels etc. is what kept me in check and kept weight on me. I CANNOT get the IBS-D and cramping to stop. I do not know what else to do - does anyone have any tests my GI should run or food suggestions. I have done the BRAT diet, not eating, low FODMAP diet, getting stable diet. I am very concerned and just cannot for the life of me figure out what is going on. Can anyone, please suggest some things for me to do, eat, talk to my GI about?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: HELP PLEASE new
      #373838 - 04/02/19 02:04 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - I'm so sorry for all you are going through. It almost sounds like you have something post-infectious after that last flare. I would add in some probiotics, either supplements or through fermented foods.

What happens if you just do nothing but plain white rice and strong peppermint/fennel tea for a few days?

XOXO
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#373844 - 04/17/19 10:51 AM
OwensMimi

I'm sorry I haven't responded to your reply Heather. I have tried that - once I introduce anything other than rice or even rice and peppermint tea. This is going on since December. I've had every stool test imaginable. I'm having a CT scan of my abdomen and pelvis tonight. I am not sure how to increase the Acacia fiber without it cause havoc on my tummy, right now I'm taking 5mg of fiber in my water and drink that throughout the day. Before this all happened I was taking 5mg of fiber in my am water and 5mg in my pm water and I drink them throughout the day -it's not like I slam them all at once. My GI suggested metamucil fiber caplets. I just don't know what do to and I've been on a probiotic for about 8 years. Cheryl

#373860 - 04/25/19 12:06 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Hi Cheryl - increasing your tummy fiber should help, not hurt, just do gradual increases. It's better to have 2-3 doses per day, or drink a water bottle with your full dose throughout the day as you were, etc. You want to keep your gut filled with soluble fiber 24/7 to prevent spasms, cramps, pain, etc.

XOXO
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: HELP PLEASE HEATHER new
      #373862 - 04/28/19 07:32 AM
OwensMimi

Heather, since I split my dosage into 2 bottled waters - I shouldn't do that? I split it so I can have the fiber in my gut throughout the day. I do have another question. Before this last flare I was taking 5grams of fiber in 2 bottles of water (5 grams each) since I started having more D and softer stools and cramping and it has continued for 5 months now - do I still continue to increase the tummy fiber by 1/2 t. every 3-4 days until my bowels are firm and I have no cramping? Right now I am taking 3grams in one bottle of water and 4 grams in the other. I see that for C 3-5 T a day help, and I just don't understand that how more soluble fiber can help with C - that is why I'm not sure if I'm taking too much of the tummy fiber or need more to stop the diarrhea since that larger amount is helping with C

#373863 - 04/29/19 11:11 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Hi - hang in there, this should get better as you gradually increase your dose. You are only at 7 grams per day total, and you can absolutely take it in two water bottles. You are always better to have more than just one dose per day, as soluble fiber has to be in your gut to work.

For perspective, constipation can take up to 20-30 grams per day (there are 6 grams of tummy fiber per tablespoon). A rough average for diarrhea is 5-15 grams - there is a wide range. So if you are at 7 grams, you have plenty of room to gradually increase and still be right in the middle of a typical dose.

XXOO
Heather

--------------------

#373865 - 04/29/19 01:25 PM
OwensMimi

Awesome, thank you!!! I am still increasing it by 1/2 t. every 3-4 days - that's correct, right? And with this fiber I need no additional Metamucil or Citrucel, correct? Just stick to 1 - once I get to the dose I need of the Acacia my stools should be more formed??

#373867 - 04/30/19 12:58 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Hi - yes, that is all correct. Slow and steady till you reach what your gut needs, then stay there.

XXOO
Heather

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 253 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4421

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review