All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Probiotics
      #371606 - 11/08/14 09:34 AM
Mark1960

Reged: 11/08/14

Not sure I'm posting in the correct place, but with all the different probiotic choices available, what are the best options (if any) for IBS? Couldn't find any info in the "The First Year IBS" book. Very curious to know Heather's opinion. Thanks

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Probiotics new
      #371609 - 11/08/14 10:08 AM
sgcray

Reged: 01/22/14
Loc: AZ, USA

Lately: Align's B. Infantis referenced in my recent posts specified mainly for IBS in a study referenced by Pubmed website as well as VSL#3 which is very high potency and multiple strains, for ulcerative colitis or IBS on Pubmed..either MAY be benefited by insurances. Acidophillus and bifidus have been used traditionally.

#371610 - 11/08/14 11:10 AM
Mark1960

Reged: 11/08/14

Thanks for your info.

Re: Probiotics/Subject Searches-ATTN: HEATHER new
      #371612 - 11/08/14 06:26 PM
sgcray

Quote:

Not sure I'm posting in the correct place, but with all the different probiotic choices available, what are the best options (if any) for IBS? Couldn't find any info in the "The First Year IBS" book. Very curious to know Heather's opinion. Thanks

Heather, is there any way to search just your posts to bring up ONLY ones on a particular subject?

#371614 - 11/09/14 09:46 AM
Candy07

Reged: 08/13/13

Mark,

I really like VSL#3! However, it is $60 plus shipping for bottle of 60 capsules.

I also learned from my sister this week that you are supposed to WAIT TWO HOURS after you eat before taking any probiotic. This was said on the Dr. Oz show.

I wonder if this is really true. I will research it and get back to you!

--------------------
Originally diagnosed with IBS-C in Spring, 2008. During spring to fall of 2008, had at least 10 acupuncture treatments and Chinese herbs. IBS went into remission. IBS returned in late July 2013 after taking 2 oral contrasts for a CT scan for cancer follow up. Had more acupuncture with different practitioner in summer 2014, but received little benefit.

#371615 - 11/09/14 09:47 AM
Candy07

Reged: 08/13/13

I take VSL#3 and LOVE it, but it is expensive, $60 plus shipping for a bottle of 60 capsules.

--------------------
Originally diagnosed with IBS-C in Spring, 2008. During spring to fall of 2008, had at least 10 acupuncture treatments and Chinese herbs. IBS went into remission. IBS returned in late July 2013 after taking 2 oral contrasts for a CT scan for cancer follow up. Had more acupuncture with different practitioner in summer 2014, but received little benefit.

Re: Probiotics/Cheaper...plus try kefiring. new
      #371617 - 11/09/14 12:54 PM
sgcray

Compare and buy probiotics from many local grocery stores otc. or their pharmacies or just pharmacies, no prescription required. Save on shipping:
Manuf website for vsl #3 local zipcode availability is:
http://www.vsl3.com/pharmacylocator/unitedstates.asp

Easy and cheaper to kefir culture some alt. milks (or even sweetened water), with "forever reusable" kefir grains and kefir water grains that have a big variety of good bact. and balanced yeasts;Can culture for a long enough time for as good potency, but, still have to build intake slowly like store probios. Search subject for further info...The grains need to be kept fed to stay active, or other storage info mentioned if away for a while. Don't have a URL. Building good flora doesn't have to be expensive;This is how people have done it for centuries. The dairy store kefir is not true kefir anyway;That can be read in more than one place on unbiased websites. Kefir cultures stick around building colonies better than traditional cultures that are more transient, whereas the kefir cultures are less transient supposidly?;I would like to see studies on that. I like my kefired vanilla lowfat Westsoy soymilk..almond milk is not advisable to kefir;Ricemilk, hempmilk and some others are.

Re: Probiotics/Taking new
      #371618 - 11/09/14 01:19 PM
sgcray

Dr. Oz also said to eat fermented (like culturing) foods like pickles and saurkraut, but didnt mention to buy "un"pasturized, since most of them are....killing off the benefit of good microbes.
I know this for sure..Important: Take probiotics 2 hrs at least away from anything that is antibiotic, even garlic, goldenseal "and others," search rest. Shouldn't take with chlorinated water..take with trace minerals added back in purified or distilled;Makes sense, right?;but how many probiotic bottles tell you that? Trinity does. Also, if you intake in naturally, but enriched, non-dairy yogurt or kefir, then some of the strains other than the "ok with acidity" acidophillus have a better chance of surviving past the stomach. What about that one? ARGH..At least take upon rising and before bedtime.

Edited by sgcray (01/18/15 11:38 AM)

Re: Probiotics/Cheaper...plus try kefiring. new
      #371627 - 11/10/14 03:05 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Unfortunately, the probiotics in Kefir have not been clinically proven to be effective. The probiotics in VSL#3, Align and Digestive Advantage IBS have been clinically shown to be effective in some people.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Probiotics/Subject Searches-ATTN: HEATHER
      #371628 - 11/10/14 04:43 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

I do not know that tech question - so sorry.

For probiotics, I have heard good things about VSL #3, Digestive Advantage, Align, and Jarrow brands.

XOXO
H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 821 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9298

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review