All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Oatmeal
      #369331 - 03/14/13 08:52 AM
mjmille4

Reged: 03/14/13

I've read both of Heather's Books and it mentions a few times that oatmeal is a good thing to take along when travelling and for eating on a regular basis. However, when I eat oatmeal I have extreme bloating and cramps the rest of the day. Am I eating the wrong kind of oatmeal? I use rolled oats from Walmart (Great Value Brand).

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Oatmeal new
      #369332 - 03/14/13 10:00 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

No, not the wrong oatmeal. Many, many people have problems with oatmeal, for some reason. Unfortunately, we are two of them. You might want to try soaking them over night in water to help the digestion...but even soaking them didn't work for me. My belly just doesn't like them. Too bad my tastebuds do.

You may find other foods on this diet that you cannot tolerate. I cannot eat bananas...they cause bloating and tummy problems. I can't do soy products either. This diet has to be tweaked per individual tolerances for sure.

#369333 - 03/14/13 10:27 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Welcome to the board,

You might try Old Fashion Quaker oats. On the label it says that the product contains 2 grams of soluble and 2 grams on insoluble fiber -- many other products don't. And when it is cooked it releases a functional fiber that acts like a soluble fiber. So over all this oatmeal contains more soluble than insoluble fiber. This type of oatmeal is well tolerated by many individuals with IBS but make sure it fully cooked.

I have a bowl of oatmeal with 1/2 banana every morning.

What are you eating with or on your oatmeal?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#369335 - 03/14/13 02:36 PM
mjmille4

Reged: 03/14/13

I have just been putting a small amount of brown sugar on it, and sometimes nothing. The oatmeal I use also has 2 grams of soluble fiber and 2 grams of insoluble fiber. I guess I just don't tolerate it well! Thanks for the help

Is it instant oatmeal? That is new
      #369336 - 03/14/13 04:03 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

more finely ground than rolled oats or whole oats, and may be much easier on you.

If you can't tolerate it, try cream of rice cereal for an instant hot breakfast instead.

XXOO
H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 774 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3109

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review