All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
How hardcore do you need to be on cutting out dairy?
      #369128 - 01/27/13 04:21 AM
LousieDee

Reged: 01/23/13
Loc: Sydney, Australia

Hi everyone, forum newbie here!

I've just started on the diet again, having attempted it a few times before. I'm sticking to it this time though - the complete blockage of my system as a result of stupid amounts of frozen yoghurt was ridiculously painful.

Anyway, how militant does one need to be in avoiding dairy, specifically, where there may be trace amounts of it as a result of manufacturing equipment? I'm trying to avoid having to essentially create two pantries, which would kill my budget. Thanks in advance for your help!

--------------------
---
"Diagnosed" IBS since mid-2011; in the process of finding a GP that will order tests to get a correct diagnosis.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: How hardcore do you need to be on cutting out dairy? new
      #369130 - 01/27/13 05:11 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Welcome back.

Trace amounts of dairy from manufacturing equipment will not likely be a problem.

I see you live in Australia. There is an Australian GI research group in Monash that has devised a clinically tested diet for managing functional bowel disorder symptoms such as IBS symptoms. You can read about it in the first three links of my signature. Many of us use This diet in conjunction with Heather's Eating for IBS diet.

Also you can read about the back story Taming Stomachs With Fodmap Diet Spurs $8 Billion Market. Here is a link to Dr. Shepherd web site.

BTW - there isn't a definitive test for IBS. If you have had a colonoscopy and other disorders have been ruled out then by exclusion you likely have IBS.
Good luck

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#369131 - 01/27/13 02:40 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

You're doing the right thing by sticking with Heather's diet. Try your best to give it a chance to work, and then go from there. It's important to stick with one method for a period of time, and not confuse the issue with trying too many new and different things at one time. How will you know what is working?

I would just keep main dairy sources out of my diet. Milk, cheese, yogurt, butter, cream, half/half, ice-cream, etc. Minute amounts might be unavoidable, so I would not stress about that.

#369162 - 02/04/13 10:56 PM
LousieDee

I figure that because I've fallen off the bandwagon a couple of times now, I've got a better idea of how I'm approaching the diet this time around! ^^'

Last time I managed to stop eating deep fried food, which was fantastic. Right now, I'm focussing on dairy. I'll be insisting on getting a lactose intolerance test done at my next doctor's appointment - I caved today and had largish amounts of cheese and ice cream. While the "seizing up" (that's the easiest way to describe it) wasn't as bad as the frozen yoghurt incident, it's bad enough that I'll have to take a step back and go back to the plain eating stage.

I'll also have to pick up some fake cheese and soy ice cream tomorrow when I get paid. I think what caused me to eat as I did today is not having safe options to eat when I get cravings.

Thanks for your advice, Gerikat!

--------------------
---
"Diagnosed" IBS since mid-2011; in the process of finding a GP that will order tests to get a correct diagnosis.

#369163 - 02/04/13 11:07 PM
LousieDee

I'm aware that there isn't a definitive test. When I got my "diagnosis", no tests were done at all, which is why I put "diagnosis" in quotes. I've heard about FODMAPs, and have considered going on it in addition to Heather's diet.

Maybe I haven't done enough reading on FODMAPs, but I feel like combining the two at this stage would be too restrictive... I struggle to eat as it is (anxiety sufferer, so I eat rather sporadically), let alone properly. I do try, but it does take a lot of work for me.

^ Not that I'm trying to disregard your advice, Syl. This is more of a public reminder to make sure I do some reading.

--------------------
---

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1540 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2520

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review