All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Meteospasmyl
      #369122 - 01/25/13 01:22 PM
hec204

Reged: 07/18/12

Hello,
Does anyone have any experience/knowledge of a drug called Meteospasmyl?

I currently take 10g of polykaraya (soluble fibre) granules before each meal (3 times a day), but recently, as a (cheaper but supposedly equivalent) alterative, my doctor has prescribed Meteospasmyl tablets.

My concerns are:
- I believe meteospasmyl is a medicine, rather than a natural supplement like polykaraya?
- Based on what I've read online, it seems that the Meteospasmyl tablets are primarily for tackling gas (one of my main complaints - really noisy gut), but am I not losing the benefit (bulking effect) of the SF supplement?

Confused :-$

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Meteospasmyl new
      #369123 - 01/25/13 01:43 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

The primary ingredient in Meteospasmyl is Alverine. It is a drug that is commonly used to treat GI muscle cramps and spasms.

It might help with the noisy gut. It is likely worth while continuing with the soluble fiber as well.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#369125 - 01/25/13 01:49 PM
hec204

Reged: 07/18/12

Gosh that was a quick reply.

So, just to clarify a couple of things, it is ok to take 10g polykarara supplement AND a meteospasmyl tablet 3 times per day?

Until a few months ago, I was taking polykaraya AND Debridat (a French equivalent of Mebeverine prescribed in the UK). Then I came off the Debridat and just took the Polyaraya sachets - and noticed no deterioration in my symptoms.

So, if Meteospasmyl is just an antispasmodic, wouldn't taking polyakaraya AND meteospasmyl be going back to what I was doing a few months ago?

#369126 - 01/25/13 02:26 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

It is not uncommon for individuals with IBS to take a soluble fiber supplement and an antispasmodic drug at the same time. Soluble fiber is just a food item.

While Meteospasmyl and Mebeverine are both antispasmodics their modes of action differ. One may be better than the other for you.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 274 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 13470

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review