All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
Re: frustration with fodmap diet info already new
      #368916 - 01/02/13 09:34 AM
capricorn1942

Reged: 10/06/03

When I pose the question "Are corn flakes made from sweet corn", all web site answers say yes. Yet the book recommends corn flakes. Seems like fodmaps info is very unreliable.

Cheers.

--------------------
ibs-d (pseudo)with pain and bloating

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#368917 - 01/02/13 09:55 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

When I am in doubt about the crediblity of a source I always go the primary source like the first two links in my signature. The second article was written by the researchers who developed the diet. The first link was written by a dietitian trained by those authors. Both say list corn under the "Suitable alternative low-FODMAP food source". Thus corn flakes looks okay. HOWEVER, there could be varieties of sweet corn that are high in polyols.

I have not been able to find a definitive source that says corn flakes are made from sweet corn. I suspect it depends on the manufacture. If you eat Kelloggs then perhaps you might call customer hotline to find out for sure.

Since the advent of this diet many individuals have prepared their version of the diet which frequently contains errors.

I don't pay attention to corn because of its high insoluble fiber content - it is not on my list of safe foods

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Just FYI, this meal plan would kill me. It is not IBS safe just because it's FODMAPS free. -nt- new
      #368918 - 01/02/13 10:18 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#368919 - 01/02/13 10:22 AM
capricorn1942

Reged: 10/06/03

If you check my earlier post giving the 7 day meal plan from the book, this is the baseline diet recommended to start with and to be added to on a trial and error basis. If it is loaded with IF, how can one of the authorities on fodmaps for IBS recommend it? This is very disappointing and borders on randomness. Exactly what changes have you made due to fodmaps and what benefits have you gained?

Cheers.

--------------------
ibs-d (pseudo)with pain and bloating

#368920 - 01/02/13 10:22 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

Regarding cornflakes...this is what the author of IBS Free at Last says on her facebook page.

IBS-Free at Last also commented on their Wall post.
IBS-Free at Last wrote: "I have never read the book Wheat Belly, so I can't really comment. As for wheat and FODMAPs and breakfast cereals. Original, plain Cheerios Brand in the US have wheat STARCH in them, which has the FODMAPs refined out of it so it is OK as a low FODMAP ingredient. Corn flakes is not a brand, so must check ingredients. For example, Erewhon corn flakes (Attune foods sends me samples) do not have any wheat ingredients in them. I just checked the Kellogg's site and their corn flake ingredients now look OK, too. But other brands might add wheat flour or high fructose corn syrup."

So it seems that kellogs is okay.

Regarding the fodmap diet new
      #368921 - 01/02/13 10:25 AM
Cyndy

This is an email I got while trying to find an RD knowledgable in Fodmap.

"We do not have a list of dietitians that use the FODMAP approach..

We do have a Find a Registered Dietitian on our website but it does not list FODMAP dietitians.

You would need to call the dietitians and ask if they have used the FODMAP diet.

Nutrition therapy for IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) is highly individualized and require goals set by the patient and registered dietitian with consistent follow-up for additional interventions as needed.

In a recent article in the American Journal of Gastroenterology(1)the authors stated a number of concerns regarding the FODMAP diet. The first being some of the recommendations are based only on clinical observation. Secondly, the efficacy of different methods of patient education has not been formally evaluated and the education done so far has been by a trained dietitian. The last issue is the safety of long term FODMAP restriction has not been reported and restrictive diets may be a risk for nutritional inadequacies(3).

There is emerging research that the FODMAP diet may be an effective therapy in the management of IBS symptoms. This does not present a cure, rather suggested dietary approach to improve symptoms and quality of life. In addition a one size fits all approach does not work because too many factors can affect each client's food tolerance and adherence to diet modifications. More controlled clinical research is needed in this emerging area of FODMAP and IBS treatment.

1.Gibson PR and Shepard SJ. Food Choice as a Key Management Strategy for Functional Gastrointestinal Symptoms. Am J Gastroentero. 2012; 107: 657-666.

So, I am really confused and unsure about things now...as if I needed more confusion with this diet. It is insane and so difficult.

Re: Just FYI, this meal plan would kill me. It is not IBS safe just because it's FODMAPS free. -nt- new
      #368922 - 01/02/13 10:29 AM
Cyndy

I agree, Heather!!! The shopping list for the elimination diet includes lots of salads, cucumbers, red peppers, lactaid milk and lactaid yogurts, celery, bean sprouts, butter, sour cream, cheddar cheese, orange juice, pork loin, pork chopes, steak... I guess for some of us, we are just suppose to take the foods that also are in conjunction with EFI diet???

Thanks for pointing this out.

#368923 - 01/02/13 10:34 AM
Cyndy

This diet would kill me. And note, since this meal plan was created, changes have already been made. For example, you are only allowed one stick of celery per day, now. It is very confusing, always changing, and this diet would kill me. I am sort of disappointed that I got involved in this fiasco and actually spent money and ordered this book. I cannot follow this elimination diet and I know that this book is already out of date. So, what do we do? Just trying to get free from pain here!

#368925 - 01/02/13 10:58 AM
Cyndy

why the limit on bananas? I thought a whole banana was okay? And the limit on strawberries? They aren't low fodmap?

Everyone seems to miss an important point .... new
      #368926 - 01/02/13 11:04 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

made by the researchers who did the origianl clincal tests. They state clearly in the second reference in my signature

"If adherence was strict, attention may be needed to modify intake of resistant starch and insoluble and soluble fiber. Other dietary triggers such as food chemicals may need to be considered, as should potential factors such as caffeine, fat, meal size and regularity."

However, the EFI diet alone can be problematic for many individuals due to fact that is does not restrict FODMAPs. Integrating the FODMAP with the EFI diet can give better results for many individuals.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 600 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 35774

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review