All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
SYL supplement/plan
      #367769 - 07/11/12 10:29 AM
Ahhh

Reged: 06/27/12

Im going back to the shakeology. Should I add any more probiotics and prebiotics to whats already in the shakeology?

it's- probiotics- Bifobacterium longum, lactobacillus acidophilus DDS-1, lactobacillus acidophilus, lactobacillus bulgaris, Lactobacillus casei, and Streptococcus thermophilus.

prebiotics- oligofructose

source- http://getfitandlean.com/nutrition/shakeology-prebiotics-and-probiotics/

Also add this? http://www.regimint.com/REGIMINT4.htm

Can those oils produce a laxative effect? I won't want it then.

Im going to start working out today. In 2 weeks can I see a great reduction in bloating and fecal inconsistence?

My Diet- chicken,sea salt,lemons,limes,homemade salsa,ginger tea(ginger root grated and boiled)brown rice,cooked well vegtables and usually blended.spinach,tomatoes,cauliflower,and okra.Soon adding rice milk.

I need a super fast improvement. I need to be able to leave the house anytime of day and be ok for work shifts.

thanks

--------------------
ibs-D & bloating,mucus,gerd,incomplete evacuation.
diet-no preservatives,no table salt,homemade cooking,grains-sushi rice,rice flour,oatmeal,gluten&soy free

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: SYL supplement/plan new
      #367770 - 07/11/12 12:53 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

The prebiotic - oligofructose - is a high FODMAP ingredient - it is not particularly IBS friendly. Shakeology also contains non-GMO fructose. This is definitely not IBS friendly. Also, the product contains 15 grams of whey - a dairy protein. Heather considers it a IBS trigger food and an unsafe IBS food constituent. Shakeology does not look like an IBS friendly product.

As for the enteric coated peppermint & caraway oils you might look a Heather's peppermint oil capsules. Enteric coated peppermint caps such as the one Heather sells are known from clinical trials to be effective for managing IBS symptoms particularly pain.

An important thing to consider is the kind of vegetables that you are eating. Raw veggies such as those in salsa can be a problem. And brown rice and okra have a considerable amount of insoluble fiber which can be a problem. It might be worth while reading Heather's information on insoluble fiber and soluble fiber..

Have you read Heather's how to break the cycle of IBS attacks?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#367771 - 07/11/12 02:15 PM
Ahhh

i know doesnt look safe but i felt better on it.

Are the capsules I posted not safe?

Heather said in a cooking video brown rice has soluble fiber and a tolerable whole grain.

Oh,I thought small portions of boiled blended veggies were safe. If i ate either spaghetti squash,avocado(few times a week),or tomato daily will that work? I dont eat the salsa raw its cooked to flavor food.

thanks

--------------------
diet-no preservatives,no table salt,homemade cooking,grains-sushi rice,rice flour,oatmeal,gluten&soy free

#367772 - 07/11/12 03:01 PM
Syl

You are correct about the general approach. However, it helps to remove things such as brown rice and other high insoluble fiber foods from your diet until the spasms in your colon settle down.

Once you feel some what stable then you slowly experiment with adding things like brown rice and blended veggies back into your diet. If you find the spasms flair up then drop back to the base diet and start again. It is a slow process.

Have you tried doing something like that? It is described in how to break the cycle of IBS attacks.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#367773 - 07/11/12 05:11 PM
Ahhh

Is this probiotic ok? http://probiotics.mercola.com/probiotics.html

Lactobacillus acidophilus DDS®-1
70 billion CFU *
Lactobacillus casei
Lactobacillus plantarum
Lactobacillus salivarius
Lactobacillus rhamnosus
Lactobacillus brevis
Bifidobacterium lactis
Bifidobacterium longum
Bifidobacterium bifidum
Streptococcus thermophilus
The above contains over 70 billion active probiotic strains at the time of manufacture.

Does ginger tea reduce pain and inflammation? I have had bad pain today and I was afraid to move.

You didnt answere about the regimint.

I will eat plain

--------------------

#367774 - 07/12/12 04:54 AM
Syl

That looks like an interesting probiotic for general health but it may not help much with IBS symptoms. I believe I gave you this information in a previous posting but here it is again. Very few probiotics have clinically tested for effectiveness in managing IBS symptoms. Dr. Mercola's probiotic has not been tested. Some probiotics that have been tested are Align, VSL#3 and digestive advantage.

You can read about ginger tea and how it helps IBS symptoms here

Regmint looks interesting. As I said in my previous posting Heather's enteric coated peppermint capsules is likely all you need. Peppermint oil is the important ingredient for IBS.

--------------------

#367776 - 07/12/12 12:19 PM
Ahhh

I want caraway and slippery elm. Caraway is in a tea I'm getting. tea- http://www.iherb.com/Gaia-Herbs-Gas-Bloating-RapidRelief-Herbal-Tea-Caffeine-Free-20-Tea-Bags-1-41-oz-40-g/33745

slippery elm,would I get loose herb to make a tea or capsules? IF you can find something good on iherb or online that's good please post link.

http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Slippery-Elm-Powder-4-oz-113-g/788 ?

I went to moutain rose herbs and purchased slippery elm bark powder and caraway seeds.

I've posted about red raspberry tea. Will you look?

thanks

--------------------

Edited by Ahhh (07/13/12 09:42 AM)

Syl re: FODMAP new
      #367784 - 07/13/12 02:35 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Do you follow a low FODMAPS diet? Is there scientific proof that foods such as asparagus, chickpeas, nectarines, mushrooms, etc, cause IBS symptoms? I eat many of the foods the fodmap diet says to eliminate and many of them are included in Heather's samplel meal plans in her book. What do you think? Is it only applicable to people with who have problems with FM?

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Re: Syl re: FODMAP new
      #367785 - 07/13/12 02:56 PM
Syl

Yes - I follow the FODMAP and EFI together.

Yes - there is scientific proof that foods in FODMAP groups can trigger IBS and other functional GI disorders symptoms. There is no indication that they cause IBS. Not everyone is sensitive to all FODMAP groups although some people are. Only two of the groups, fructose and lactose, can be tested in the lab. Sensitivity to the others has to be determined using dietary elimination. Fructose and lactose sensitivity can be determined that way too.

Most of the scientific details are given the research paper in the second link in my signature.

I think that the FODMAP approach is based on a sound physiological principles on how the GI tract works and it is supported with clinical trials with good results.

Unfortunately most health-care professionals and dietitians that give advice on the FODPMAP diet seem to over look two important sentences in the original research paper (2nd link my signature):

"If adherence was strict, attention may be needed to modify intake of resistant starch and insoluble and soluble fiber. Other dietary triggers such as food chemicals may need to be considered, as should potential factors such as caffeine, fat, meal size and regularity."

Heather's pay particular attention to these issues. Although a bit complicated many of us have learned to blend Heather's EFI diet with the FODMAP approach with good results.

PS - Jordy - you may remember one of my first posts on the board years ago was an answer to your question about apples. I told you about the problems of fructose and a argument began on the board. Fructose is one of the FODMAP groups. Many individuals with functional bowel disorders such as IBS find foods that have more fructose than glucose in them such as apples, pears and of course high-fructose corn syrup can make thier IBS symptoms worse.

--------------------

#367786 - 07/13/12 03:11 PM
Jordy

wow, interesting. Do you eat any of the foods that are on the "eliminations list" for FODMAP, like hummus or avocado or broccoli? I am interested in this approach, but I eat the above named foods often, along with apples. I thought FODMAP was only for those with fructose problems, which I don't think I have. No, I don't remember that post you are refering to. Also, is stevia safe with this approach?

Thanks so much. Very interesting links. How do you determine which foods on the elimination list are okay for an individual, personally? Just through trial and error? Oh, are nuts and nut butters okay or do they have too much fat? This is a whole new idea to me. I need to do some research on this, but I thought I would come to an expert first.

--------------------

#367787 - 07/13/12 03:20 PM
Syl

No - I don't eat avcado or broccoli. I may have a teaspoon of humus once in a while.

FODMAP stands for Fermentable, Oligo-, Di- and Mono-saccharides and Polyols which are short chained carbohydrates that are fermented rapidly in the colon producing gas and other symptoms. Fructose is a monosaccharide.

The first link in my signature gives a good overview. At the end of the article is a table with friendly and unfriendly FODMAP foods in each of the groups.

Stevia is safe.

I have difficulties with 4 of the 5 groups. Fortunately, I don't have much problem with fructans which are found in high amounts in wheat and rye. As I recall you tried a gluten free diet years ago but you were negative for celiac disease. It could be you were having problems with the fructans in wheat

--------------------

#367788 - 07/13/12 03:31 PM
Jordy

you have a good memory! No gluten for me. It doesn't mention anything about nuts,nut butters, almond milk, or other kinds of beans, such as black beans. What about dandelion tea? The list of foods to eliminate that I have is sort of different from yours. What's the difference between silver beet and beet root? Thanks for the information. I am learning a lot.

--------------------

#367789 - 07/13/12 03:45 PM
Syl

Nuts and nut butter are okay. Beans are a problem - particularly kidney beans, baked beans, lentils and soybeans.

Be careful the Internet resource you rely on for information on FODMAPs. Many of them are inaccurate. When in doubt check Table 1 in the original article.

Swiss chard is silver beet. Beet root is common red beet.

--------------------

#367790 - 07/13/12 04:01 PM
Jordy

Thank you so much. Do you know if Dandelion tea is okay on the low FODMAP diet? I drink two cups a day.I also eat a lot of black beans and raisins. I have to clean out my entire fridge and cabinets. It's hard to know if something is safe if it is not listed anywhere on either the caution list or the friendly list.

--------------------

#367791 - 07/13/12 04:05 PM
Jordy

I suppose I could google some of these questions!

--------------------

#367792 - 07/13/12 04:30 PM
Syl

I suspect Dandelion tea is okay but I am not sure.

Raisin are dried grapes - some type of grapes can be a problem - they have a lot of excess fructose.

I doubt if black beans are safe.

--------------------

#367794 - 07/13/12 06:10 PM
Jordy

even peanut butter? I heard that those are really not nuts.

--------------------

#367795 - 07/13/12 07:17 PM
Syl

They are safe

--------------------

good cuz I'm eating it right now-nt new
      #367797 - 07/13/12 07:22 PM
Jordy

--------------------

more about FODMAP *DELETED* new
      #367801 - 07/14/12 04:59 AM
Jordy

Post deleted by Jordy

--------------------

Re: more about FODMAP new
      #367802 - 07/14/12 05:35 AM
Syl

Jordy - it might be best if you found a dietitian in your area who knows the FODMAP diet.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1173 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 11475

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review