All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Brown Rice, Soluble or Insoluble
      #367455 - 05/15/12 05:53 AM
onmyway

Reged: 05/15/12

Hi, Can anyone clear up brown rice for me? It doesn't seem to be mentioned in the helpforibs cheat sheet that it is a recommended source of soluble fiber but after watching one of heather's food video clips, she does in fact recommend it. Wild rice? Almond milk? I'm just getting started & there seems to be so many different sources available on the internet of IBS related diets, & or what is considered safe, that I am becoming a little overwhelmed. Thx!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Brown Rice, Soluble or Insoluble new
      #367456 - 05/15/12 07:53 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Welcome to the board,

Brown rice can be a problem for some people because it contains the bran which is 100% insoluble fiber . I cannot eat it. I stick with white rice and other foods high in soluble fiber . Wild rice can be a problem too as it is high in insoluble fiber.

Almond milk is safe.

There are many diets on the Internet most of which have not been clinically tested. Many of these diets are fad diets with little or no evidence to support thier usefulness for IBS.

It is best to stick with Heather's Eating for IBS diet and the clinically tested FODMAP diet discussed in the first two links in my signature. The FODMAP diet has been clinically tested in the UK and Australia with large trials beginning in the US. Many of us a combination of Heather's eating for IBS diet and the FODMAP approach with reasonable success.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#367462 - 05/16/12 11:01 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - brown rice does have the bran (that's the brown part) which is insoluble fiber. But it tends to be one of the most tolerable whole grains for IBS (cornmeal, oatmeal, and quinoa are some others). Try it cautiously and see how you do. If you're not sure, stick to white rice. That is simply brown rice with the bran, and thus the insoluble fiber, removed.

You can also cook white/brown rice together for a mix. Wild rice is higher in insoluble fiber, and not as tolerable. You can mix that with white rice too, though, and see how you do.

If you're uncertain, stick to white rice. If you're stable, try adding in a bit of brown rice and see how you do. IBS has lots of shades of gray, and your tolerance to foods will vary depending on how your IBS is doing at the time. Be more careful when you're touchy, or traveling, or stressed out, etc. When you've been stable a while, and life is calm and happy, you will likely have more flexibility.

XXOO
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#367463 - 05/16/12 02:05 PM
onmyway

Wow! Heather! Thank you for responding... I certainly never thought I would get a reply from you but I am so grateful. I must say that I am starting to get a little overwhelmed. I have always had stomach issues & only realized recently when talking with my husband (who is a medical doctor) that what I experience is not "normal"... I never talked about it & unfortunately only started connecting the dots once I could no longer hide my anxiety attacks. I can't determine if they were being caused by my stomach issues or were my stomach issues causing the anxiety?? I still don't know but I can say a few years ago I started to question if IBS was in fact a possibility & came across your wonderful site. It took me a long time to address what I've been experiencing but since I've had no success on my own, I became very interested in the diet you suggest. I just ordered the hypnosis cd's that came with the "The First Year" book & I haven't been able to put it down. I have not received an official diagnosis but am working on seeing a Gastrointerologist asap. We are traveling outside of the US this summer & I am a complete mess at the thought that I may have an issue while either stuck on a long flight or riding a tour bus that doesn't stop often for bathroom breaks. Back to the diet, I was afraid if I ordered your diet book, I may not get it as quickly as I would like so I went on Amazon.com to see if they offered your book in a Kindle version. They do not But I did come across another book on IBS diet that I did download... It's called "IBS Free at Last" & talks about FODMAPS...? I'm learning but I can honestly say I'm more overwhelmed than ever. Some of the things you recommend avoiding, her book recommends during the "elimination phase. I honestly don't know what I should eat... It is so tough, I am very willing to give up what is suggested just to see if my symptoms calm down but I'm so used to eating whole grains, & lots of healthy choices that it almost seems wrong to eat a turkey sandwich on sourdough bread...Is that a source of soluble or insoluble fiber? Or neither? Also, is Benefiber a good choice?

#367464 - 05/16/12 02:13 PM
onmyway

Thank you so much for responding to my post! And an extra thanks for answering the Almond Milk question... That has been difficult for me to find on my own I apologize though, I don't understand what you are mean.. "FODMAP diet discussed in the first two links in my signature"... Haha, no idea what that means but it is interesting that you mention FODMAP because I just replied to Heather's post on my issue of brown rice, where I mentioned reading another book, "IBS Free at Last" & the FODMAP elimination diet... Needless to say I'm confused about what I should be eating but I am writing everything down & hope to see a pattern emerge.

I think I really need to read Heather's Eating for IBS book!

Thank you so much for your input!

#367465 - 05/16/12 02:21 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - hang in there, the hypno program should work wonders. Take that with you on your trip and listen to it whenever you feel stressed. Check the travel chapter in the First Year for additional tips and tricks.

I'd start with the general Eating for IBS guidelines and see how you do. It's a faster, easier way to begin and ideally you won't need to get any more complicated than that.

Do make sure you get a firm diagnosis. Have them check you for celiac, which is often overlooked. Full diagnostic info is here http://www.helpforibs.com/footer/ibs.asp

Avoid the trigger foods for sure. Be careful with insoluble fiber, and have a soluble fiber foundation. You don't have to avoid whole grains but be careful. Whole wheat is a tough one - sourdough is much safer. Check here for wheat info http://www.helpforibs.com/diet/faq.asp#wheat

You can still eat healthy and keep IBS under control. It's as much about how you eat as what you eat.

Benefiber is wheat dextrin - should be okay. It's not organic and I don't know if it is prebiotic. Start at a low dose and increase gradually. There's full info about fiber supplements for IBS here http://www.helpforibs.com/supplements/sol_fiber1.asp

XXOO
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#367466 - 05/16/12 02:52 PM
Syl

If you look at the bottom of each of my posting you will see a signature with a bit of information about me and the title of three articles about IBS and diet. If you click on the title you will be presented with the article as found on the web.

The FODMAP approach has it roots in Australian clinical research on the role of diet to manage functional bowel disorders like IBS. The investigators found that individuals like us avoid certain foods even though many GI doctors tell us that food doesn't make a difference to IBS symptoms. They found that the problem foods are rapidly fermented by colonic bacteria producing gas and other things that can trigger IBS symptoms. These foods also fall into 5 general categories collectively called FODMAPs which is an abbreviation of a complicated scientific name of the food groups.

Since the announcing their findings from large clinical trials and other trials such as a recent one in the UK found similar results i.e. 70-80% reduction in GI symptoms.

Unfortunately, most authors who are translating the research findings into information for public consumption ignored the warnings of the Austrilian investigators. They say the FODMAP approach works best if common stimulants like caffeine, alcohol, high fat and high insoluble fiber foods are reduced or eliminated and soluble fiber foods increased. Heather's diet does an excellent job of dealing with these fundamentals.

Anyway - ask lots of questions. There are many knowledgeable individuals on the board

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#367485 - 05/19/12 12:44 PM
onmyway

Thank you so much for this information. It is so helpful. It is just a bit difficult in discerning which information to put the most emphasis on. That being said, I am already noticing a significant improvement in adjusting my diet as recommended. It is just strange after so long of not eating flour tortillas, white bread & pasta to switch my thinking & accept these as better for me because they are not as healthy as their whole grain counter parts. I am conditioned to believe that loading up on the starches will cause me to gain weight. Although I never entirely bought into the low carb lifestyle, people certainly swear by it. Ultimately, I am trying to find what works best for my body & go with that! That is the healthiest choice I've made in some time

I'm having a difficult time however, figuring out how this message board works. It is all me I'm sure...I don't have much experience with them but it is not easy for me to find replies to my posts... is there a easy trick to knowing this. If I were unable to do a search with my subject information I don't think I would be able to follow responses. It seems that once I am out of this page I immediately go back to the main page & once I select the Eating for IBS discussion board, it doesn't show me recent posts... it starts with something dating back several years & there are just too many pages to search through to try to find my original post....

#367486 - 05/19/12 02:00 PM
Syl

You likely need to change the display preferences so that you can easily find your last post.

Click on "My Home" which is below the list of boards given above this message.

Near the bottom of the page there is the main configuration section. The second item in the list is "Display preferences, number of shown threads, languages, colors... ". On the right hand side of the page select "Edit".

You will be presented with some drop-down options. Try setting the following options as given below.

Default aged threads to be displayed:
Use forum's default

Default sort order
Descending Subject Ascending

Default display mode
Threaded

Default view
Collapsed

Total parent posts to show per page: (default is 10)

Hopefully that will make it easier to find your posts

--------------------

#367487 - 05/19/12 02:26 PM
onmyway

Thank you so much for that information! I was just reading the first article you listed in Today's Dietician I hate be a bother but is there somewhere you can recommend that I go for additional diet/recipe information? I just ordered several things from Heather's store including her diet book so I am hoping to find lots of great recipes as soon as it arrives & I have found Heather's Youtube cooking segments... Just thought possibly there is another source... I'm looking for a great & safe banana bread recipe & now realize that the choc chips that I loaded it up with before may not be the best choice. However, I like what I am hearing in her book on IBS the first year, that nothing is forever banned in the new diet, although certain things may be. I think the key may have been something I knew all along... Balance & never allow myself to go over board on any one thing!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 525 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 13203

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review