All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Additional question to 'IBS"?
      #366583 - 12/22/11 09:27 AM
weo

Reged: 12/09/11

I seem to have some of the symptoms,(pain, bloating,stomach aches) but no real bad C or D. If anything a bit of C from time to time. Must IBS include a significant amount of C or D to be truely considered IBS? Also, I should add that stress seems to be a trigger for Side Pain. More so than food.
Any help would be welcome, Thanks.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Additional question to 'IBS"? new
      #366584 - 12/22/11 10:36 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

C or D are not necessary conditions for diagnosing IBS. Pain is likely a more significant indicator.

The ROME III diagnostic criteria for Function GI disorder defines IBS as follows:

C1. Irritable Bowel Syndrome Diagnostic criterion*

Recurrent abdominal pain or discomfort** at least 3 days/month in the last 3 months associated with two or more of the following:

1. Improvement with defecation
2. Onset associated with a change in frequency of stool
3. Onset associated with a change in form (appearance) of stool
* Criterion fulfilled for the last 3 months with symptom onset at least 6 months prior to diagnosis
** "Discomfort" means an uncomfortable sensation not described as pain.

In pathophysiology research and clinical trials, a pain/discomfort frequency of at least 2 days a week during screening evaluation is recommended for subject eligibility.

Stress is a well-known and recognised IBS trigger. For some people is can be a bigger trigger than foods.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#366586 - 12/22/11 12:03 PM
weo

3 days a week! I wish. My pain is constant. Thanks for your response.
weo

#366587 - 12/22/11 12:13 PM
Syl

My pain is in the lower right quadrant. It is constant all waking hours. I have had it for decades. It is a darn nusiance AND it takes a lot of brain power to ignore it

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#366589 - 12/22/11 03:04 PM
weo

Wow sounds familiar. Did you see my long message /reply back to your questions from a previous posting? I would like your thoughts if any. Thanks so much.By the way, do the teas and pepermint tabs do anything for you?
weo

Edited by weo (12/22/11 03:06 PM)

#366590 - 12/23/11 06:52 AM
capricorn1942

Reged: 10/06/03

I appreciate your candor. Sometimes I think I must be doing something wrong with all of this pain. My pain is primarily on the left side from my rectum up, is constant and wakes me from sleep several times a night.

I have seen several of your posts saying you have pain on your right side but this is the first on your left side. Has something changed? How does Fodmaps effect pain for you?

Cheers.

--------------------
ibs-d (pseudo)with pain and bloating

#366591 - 12/23/11 07:07 AM
Syl

Ooops - that was a typo - I changed it - Thank you for bring it to my attention My pain is in the lower right quadrant just at the beginning of the ascending colon. When I get a bad attach spasms continue up the ascending colon and sometimes along the transverse colon. The pain right at the start of the ascending colon never seems to leave but it does get less intense if I am careful.

The two factors that gave me the most reduction in pain were (1) dramatic reduction in consumption of insoluble fiber and (2) the elimination of specific FODMAPs - excess fructose, lactose, galactans (particularly soy) and polyols. Fructans don't seem to be a problem.

--------------------

#366592 - 12/23/11 07:15 AM
Syl

As Capricorn1942 pointed out I made a mistake and said my pain was in the left side when in fact it is the right side. I have corrected my previous post.

I saw you previous post. The only thing that comes to mind is to ask if you have tried eliminating some FODMAPs from your diet. Check the first two links in my signature for details. This approach has been clinically tested for a variety of functional GI disorders with very good results. Unfortunately, this diet does not deal with other triggers such as insoluble fiber, coffee, tea, fat, etc which Heather deals with. It is assumed that your healthcare professional will advise you about these foods. Unfortunately, very few GI docs or GPs give this kind of advice.

Teas and peppermint caps have not helped me. I have tried them a number of times with no particular positive results.

--------------------

#366593 - 12/23/11 07:23 AM
shelgirl

Reged: 09/22/09
Loc: Wisconsin

Does anyone have pain that includes your lower back? My pain is lower front and back and moves to the left side often. I have been eating a banana a day but now am wondering if this is causing more problems....I see they are on the "friendly" side of the Fodmap chart but wondering about the fiber content?

--------------------
IBS-D. Eating gluten and dairy free.

#366594 - 12/23/11 07:46 AM
Syl

You might find the presentation by Dr. Palsson from UNC on IBS and Beyond: Why do some many IBS patients have so many non-gastrointestinal symptoms and What are the impact of these symptoms. Back pain is one of the top 7 common non-GI symptom experienced by individuals with IBS.

Yes - you have to be careful of the insoluble fiber in the FODMAP friendly foods. The FODMAP approach does not deal with other triggers such as fat, coffee, tea, insoluble fiber, etc. It is left up to you doctor to discuss these with you which rarely happens. So you have to blend the EFI and FODMAP approaches to suit your needs.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1444 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9569

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review