All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Egg yolk and other high fat items
      #366510 - 12/07/11 06:00 PM
IBSHelpWanted

Reged: 03/15/10

I have a question on the reasons for the removal of egg yolk from the IBS diet recommended by Heather. What is is about the egg yolk that causes it to have to be removed from the diet?

I know the yolk itself is high in fat, but so are other items such as EVOO and other fats/oils. It would seem that a meal of scrambled eggs, with potatoes for SF, would be acceptable so long as the total fat of the entire meal was less than, say 25% or so. Is there something specific about an egg yolk that calls for its removal? I do seem to have moderate issues with egg yolks, but not with items such as EVOO.

Is our digestion dependent more upon the fat of the individual item (such as the entire egg), or the fat content of the entire meal? If it's the item, are there any other common items one should remove?

Just trying to further understand the diet a bit more. This diet, in combination with increased efforts at also managing problematic FODMAPS is making a huge difference. Thanks a ton!

--------------------
----------------------------------------------
Likely IBS-C and Fructose Malabsorption
Undiagnosed and going through testing process

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Egg yolk and other high fat items new
      #366512 - 12/08/11 06:33 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Generally speaking it is the fat content of the entire meal and egg yolks are removed to reduce the fat content. There is nothing else unusual about egg yolk. However, some people remove egg yolks from their diets to reduce cholesterol (see Are chicken eggs good or bad for my cholesterol at the Mayo Clinic Web site ).

A large egg contains about 5 grams of fat in the yolk which is equivalent to a teaspoon of EVOO. The yolk contains about 45 calories. As you say if you ate it with about 150 calories of non-fat food such as medium size boiled potato you would only be getting 25% of calories from fat.

It is claimed that eggs contain difficult to digest protein. I have not been able to confirm this claim in the research or nutrition literature. Many sources such as Common questions about eggs from the University of Kentucky say soft boiled eggs are easy to digest.

However, something else you might consider is that eggs are on the list of food that are commonly found with food intolerances so it is a potential trigger from that perspective. For this reason it is often recommend that eggs be removed from the diet of individuals with IBS for a couple of weeks to see if it produces an improvement in symptoms.

Like all things to do with IBS it is likely something you will have to experiment with to see how it works for you.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#366520 - 12/08/11 08:04 PM
IBSHelpWanted

Reged: 03/15/10

This is a great answer Syl. Thanks a lot! The only difference I see is that my EVOO has a lot more calories in it. I assume you meant a teaspoon of EVOO, rather than a tablespoon. A teaspoon of the EVOO I have always used, Filippo Berio, is 40 calories....so one teaspoon of EVOO is approximately the same as an egg yolk. A tablespoon is actually 120 calories. I have always figured around 100 calories, consumed, whenever I use EVOO.

I'll check out the links you provided. I've been making a lot of headway in the past week and have been doing a lot of research, particularly on the FM side of things. The links you provide in your signature as well as the other paid links you have provided have been an immense help.

Some of the most frustrating symptoms, aside from the digestion issues, has always been along the lines of 'brain fog', fatigue, and nausea. The changes I've made to my diet over the last couple weeks have really helped out and I'm hoping they continue. The IBS research from this site, combined with the FM recommendations on FODMAPS, has been making a huge difference. Too bad there's just so little to eat! Getting 3,000-3,500 calories a day on a diet like this is difficult.

Thanks a lot

--------------------
----------------------------------------------
Likely IBS-C and Fructose Malabsorption
Undiagnosed and going through testing process

#366525 - 12/09/11 03:59 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Ah yes - I should have uses teaspoons instead of tablespoons. I will fix it.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

for me OK new
      #366544 - 12/18/11 12:44 AM
Susie1985

Reged: 05/04/11

I am really very sensitive to too much fat but as long as the fat intake per meal is not too high (as in Syl's example), I too have not experienced egg yolks to be any different from other fats.

--------------------
now: stable through EFI+FODMAP dieting (no lactose/no fructose/some fructans and some polyols)

before: IBS-D(pseudo-diarrhoea), bloating, often unbearable pain esp from too much fat: Apr 2007- Dec 2010

FODMAPs: http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/072710p30.shtml

[I've tried VSL#3 -> I could tolerate v good amounts of IF (even with less SF), it worked great (but overall I find it too expensive)]

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 180 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5099

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review