All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
podcasts on digestion
      #366358 - 11/04/11 05:56 PM
renee21

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

As I've mentioned before, I've gone Paleo and I'm never going back. I have been doing a ton of research and it just makes sense to me. And there are some amazingly brilliant leaders in the Paleo movement who really seem to understand digestive issues. One reason being that many people turn to this diet/lifestyle in order to heal themselves from gut problems.

Anyway, I've been enjoying the podcasts of Chris Kresser this week and thought I'd post a couple here, for your interest.

http://balancedbites.com/2011/10/balanced-bites-podcast-episode-8.html

http://chriskresser.com/answers-to-your-burning-questions-about-digestion

http://chriskresser.com/the-healthy-skeptic-podcast-episode-9

--------------------
IBS-C, lots of spasm and trapped gas.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Caution new
      #366360 - 11/05/11 06:03 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Chris Kesser is an acupuncturist/complementary medicine practitioner that buys into dispproved theories like yeast or Candida overgrowth in the small intestine as a cause of digestive disorders such as IBS. As Heather says in her Cheat Sheet "IBS is NOT parasites, candida, toxins, inflammatory bowel disease, gluten intolerance, or a physchological problem". Also some of his notions about FODMAPs are a misinforming.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Caution new
      #366361 - 11/05/11 08:21 AM
renee21

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

The 3rd podcast I posted is on the gut-brain axis. It's the most pertinent one to IBS.

--------------------
IBS-C, lots of spasm and trapped gas.

#366362 - 11/05/11 08:52 AM
Syl

He has a some things right but other he is quite misinformed. Even in this podcast he again he buys into unsubstantiated notions of yeast overgrowth, leaky gut and leaky brain being responsible for functional GI disorders. He is also misinformed about the regeneration of neurons or neurogensis. He is using old notions. It is now know that neurons are continually produced throughout adulthood - you don't have all the neurons in your brain that you will have throughout you life.

You can see how problematic some of this fellow's ideas are when you read his blog Throw away the sunscreen because it causes cancer. He cites Sunscreen Use and the Risk for Melanoma: A Quantitative Review as one of the references that support this notion. The paper actually concludes "No association was seen between melanoma and sunscreen use." His ideas are contrary to expert knowledge such as those of the Mayo Clinic

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

Re: podcasts on digestion new
      #366363 - 11/05/11 11:12 AM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Hey Renee, good to see you here. It sounds like you are doing well. I am glad you found something that works for you.

I have never heard of Chris Kesser, but I will look at the podcasts and give you my feedback. Thanks for sharing with us, something that has worked for you and may well work for others!

#366364 - 11/05/11 11:14 AM
Gerikat

I will be sure to check that one out, and I hope others do too, and then form their OWN opinions.

#366369 - 11/06/11 05:21 AM
capricorn1942

Reged: 10/06/03

Here in California, an L.Ac is trained in both acupuncture and Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM). To be fair, TCM has its own take at medicine - different than Western medicine. So, for example candida (or yeast) is known as dampness. The L.AC who treated me (website beyondwellbeing.com) diagnosed me with "damp heat". His treatment did not help me, but it is hard to argue with TCM which has been around for 5000 years and is being accepted more and more in the west. BTW, the website tries to describe IBS from the TCM point of view in a lengthy set of web pages. It is well worth reading to understand the TCM approach.

Cheers.

--------------------
ibs-d (pseudo)with pain and bloating

#366372 - 11/07/11 07:35 AM
Syl

Although ancient TCM did not know about bacteria and viruses modern TCM seems to accomodate them now. Presumably, irrespective of the medical model that is used yeast or candida is considered to be a micro-organisms in both Western and TCM medical models. That being the case clinical research showed that yeast is not found in the stools of normal or IBS individuals.

--------------------

#366373 - 11/07/11 07:45 AM
Gerikat

Yes, your post is absolutely correct! I would much prefer something that has been around 5ooo years. I very seldom use any Western Medicine and I remain very healthy. I use a Naturopathic physician who is just wonderful. He works closely with an MD in the area which is great, if needed.

Renee new
      #366379 - 11/07/11 02:34 PM
Gerikat

I listened to the 3rd podcast. I like him and I liked what he had to say. Thanks for sharing!

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2085 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8012

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review