All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Weird turn for the worse - looking for info.
      #365978 - 09/01/11 06:19 PM
MikeCA1870

Reged: 03/30/09

Hello!

Some of the longer standing members may remember me from my posts from when I first developed IBS starting two and a half years ago.

Anyway, I am predisposed to IBS-D, however for a long time now I have been remarkably stable by just following the EFI diet, taking the Align probiotic daily, and 25mg of desipramine daily, a trycyclic antidepressant mentioned in many IBS books, and of course the acacia.

I've occasionally had bad days, but they resolved themselves and I would be completely back to normal the following day. I see saw from fairly "normal" to slight C now with my current regimen.

So it has come as kind of a shock to me that over the past four days I have had pretty much constant D (far more than I would think I am capable of, to be honest). For the first three days I was able to go to work and by not eating much if at all during the day I was able to cope, but then things got bad when I came home for the evening and did eat. Finally, however, last night was the worst and I had to miss work today (the 4th day), where all I have eaten all day is white rice porridge using my rice cooker and yet I can't seem to re-regulate myself. Every hour or so it's more of the same.

I'm a bit freaked out because this is the longest that I have had D and it doesn't seem to be slowing down or ceasing in any way. This is completely different from my previous experience both pre- and post-IBS. I'm beginning to wonder if it doesn't have anything to do with IBS at all but maybe food poisoning.

However, I was with friends over the weekend (the most likely time for the bad food to be consumed) and they are all completely fine, having eaten the same things for the most part.

I feel ok (aside from the D, that is) now but last night I was feverish and really beat down, tired and weak.

So for those of you with lots of experience and a background in all the IBS literature (Syl, maybe?) I'm just wondering if what has been transpiring with me these past 4 days seems IBS related or not, and if it's unusual to have D for this long (it certainly is for me, but may be quite common for all I know). Also, if it IS food poisoning or something like that, does taking my medication (designed to slow down my digestive system) actually make the problem worse by fighting my body's natural protective measures?

I know this isn't directly related to the EFI diet, but this seems like the best place to turn to to possibly find some answers. I'd appreciate any help and insight anyone here may have.

Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Weird turn for the worse - looking for info. new
      #365983 - 09/02/11 10:40 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

A flare-up can be caused by many things including an increased response by your immune system to fight off a low-level of infection. Sometimes I have a flare-up for no particular reason which can last for 3-4 days to 2-3 weeks. The first thing I do when this happens is drop back to a very safe diet for a while until things get stable. This sound like what you are did. Hopefully, you are feeling better now.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#365989 - 09/02/11 02:04 PM
MikeCA1870

Thanks Syl. I tried to PM you but it wouldn't let me. I've never done it before but maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Does this sort of thing happen to you a lot? I ask because in 2 1/2 years I've never had anything like this. My flare ups generally stem from easily remembered bad behavior and last no more than 24 hours. Once, two April's ago, I got the flu, and the digestive issues associated with that only lasted 2 days.

While I never break the dairy and red meat rules, and I work very hard to balance out any IF with equal or more SF, I have on occasion gone off the low fat requirement. There has been a time or two where I have eaten 3 large chocolate chip (dairy free) cookies, about 300 calories each, with I'm sure a ton of fat, in one evening (granted, spread out over 3-4 hours), and I was fine, not just the next day, but continuously. There is no consistency to my symptoms and what they react to and that's what makes this so frustrating, the lack of ability to measure/control it.

#365990 - 09/02/11 03:07 PM
Syl

Yea - PM is turn-off on this board.

No it doesn't happen often. Usually when it does I can identify the reason which is usually a new dietary experiment I am trying -- when will I learn - eh It happens when I get a cold or I am feel just a bit under the weather which suggests to me that the immune system modulates IBS symptoms.

The lack of control is annoying. It is difficult to plan. Unfortunate, diet is only a management tool. Stress, disease, hormones and a variety of other uncontrollable things can modulate the intensity of the symptoms.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#365993 - 09/02/11 08:18 PM
MikeCA1870

Since the rice porridge, saltines, and acacia diet for three days isn't making things any better, would it be ok to go back to the regular EFI diet? Just to remember what flavor is, or protein? I can feel my muscles withering as I type. I was just in the middle of a 10 week intense training program with the goal of building them up, and now this.

IBS: It doesn't kill you, it just ruins your life.

#365995 - 09/03/11 06:00 AM
Syl

Sure - if you think you can handle it - but stick with simple things like chicken breast, etc. Do you think there is any correlation between the flare-up and the intense training program? What sort of exercises are you doing?

--------------------

#366008 - 09/03/11 07:22 PM
MikeCA1870

I suppose anything is possible, but I've been going pretty heavy for about two weeks and haven't been eating different (just more protein but EFI approved - chicken breast, hemp (Trader Joes shake), beans, soy/oat (cliff bars)). But I've been using all that for weeks so I don't know why now. I had friends over for the weekend and so ate a little differently (still EFI tho), and I would think that is more possible.

Syl, it's now lasted 6 days but it's been kinda moderate the whole time, not what I would rate as "bad" D. So the problem isn't the severity it's the fact that it just isn't going away. Does that sound like IBS ore more food/bug type thing? Is the solution different? I have been eating safe and taking tons of acacia (4-5 tablespoons spread out over 3-4 meals).

#366010 - 09/04/11 08:21 AM
renee21

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Are Clif bars "EFI approved"? I would have a really hard time with most of the ingredients, which include psyllium and inulin. Personally I would lay off them during a bout of D. Here's the list for the Chocolate Chip flavour:

Organic Brown Rice Syrup, ClifPro® (Soy Rice Crisps [Soy Protein Isolate, Rice Flour, Barley Malt Extract], Organic Roasted Soybeans, Organic Soy Flour), Organic Rolled Oats, Organic Toasted Oats (Organic Oats, Organic Dried Cane Syrup), Chocolate Chips (Cane Syrup, Unsweetened Chocolate, Cocoa Butter, Soy Lecithin, Natural Flavors), Cane Syrup, ClifCrunch® (Organic Oat Fiber, Apple Fiber, Inulin [Chicory Extract], Organic Milled Flaxseed, Psyllium), Organic Date Paste, Organic Soy Butter (Organic Roasted Soybeans, Organic Soybean Oil, Salt), Organic Sunflower Oil, Molasses Powder, Sea Salt, Natural Flavors, Cinnamon.

--------------------
IBS-C, lots of spasm and trapped gas.

#366011 - 09/04/11 08:28 AM
Syl

Does insoluble fiber cause problems for you?

Hemp seed and hemp meal are high in insoluble fiber (22-26% by weight). Trader Joe's vanilla hemp shake seems to have about 11 grams of insoluble fiber per 30 gram serving.

Also, Cliff bars have a fair amount of insoluble fiber in them too. Here are the ingredients for the oatmeal/raisin

Ingredients: Organic Brown Rice Syrup, ClifPro® (Soy Rice Crisps [Soy Protein Isolate, Rice Flour, Rice Starch, Barley Malt Extract], Organic Roasted Soybeans, Organic Soy Flour), Organic Rolled Oats, Organic Toasted Oats (Organic Oats, Organic Evaporated Cane Juice), Raisins, Organic Evaporated Cane Juice, Walnuts, ClifCrunch® (Organic Oat Fiber, Inulin [Chicory Extract], Organic Milled Flaxseed, Organic Oat Bran, Psyllium), Organic Soy Butter (Organic Roasted Soybeans, Organic Soybean Oil, Salt), Natural Flavors, Molasses Powder, Ground Cinnamon, Sea Salt.

Notice the inulin ( a rapidly fermenting soluble fiber, a FODMAP), psyllium (33% insoluble fiber), walnuts, raisins, oat bran. Lots of insoluble fiber. Not very IBS safe

I know if I ate those foods I would have D for sure.

--------------------

#366012 - 09/04/11 01:04 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Have you thought about seeing your doctor? You may need to be evaluated for something besides IBS. I don't believe there are any doctors here. I think some come here to get answers and they may not be what you need. I would see my doctor for a check-up. Just my take.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 337 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7164

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review