All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Re: for susie 1985 new
      #365443 - 07/07/11 06:40 PM
skh

Reged: 08/05/09

thanks for the information!..what do u do with cocoa powder?..add it to milk?...i eat alot of the same proteins as you but i never eat fruit..i will try the ones you mentioned...still seems like i just can't eat enough to gain though...fat is a major problem for me...i have to be so careful or i get sick and it makes me loose weight again..i wish there was a drink with tons of calories i could drink but they all seem to have dairy in them...and i like choc almond milk but i think it's too fatty as well...at least it seemed to be when i tried it...and smoothies worked for a while but then one day i got sick from a banana and oj and rice milk drink..i never drank one again b/c it was such a major set back...

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#365444 - 07/08/11 01:20 AM
IBSHelpWanted

Reged: 03/15/10

Quote:

thanks for the information!..what do u do with cocoa powder?..add it to milk?...i eat alot of the same proteins as you but i never eat fruit..i will try the ones you mentioned...still seems like i just can't eat enough to gain though...fat is a major problem for me...i have to be so careful or i get sick and it makes me loose weight again..i wish there was a drink with tons of calories i could drink but they all seem to have dairy in them...and i like choc almond milk but i think it's too fatty as well...at least it seemed to be when i tried it...and smoothies worked for a while but then one day i got sick from a banana and oj and rice milk drink..i never drank one again b/c it was such a major set back...

I've been using Silk Chocolate Soy Milk as a high calorie drink. It definitely makes it much easier to gain. A tall glass is around 240 calories I believe, and it's extremely easy to drink. I don't believe I have a problem with it, although I haven't been able to determine if it's completely safe yet. A few glasses a day certainly helps make it easier to gain.

--------------------
----------------------------------------------
Likely IBS-C and Fructose Malabsorption
Undiagnosed and going through testing process

#365445 - 07/08/11 07:58 AM
shelgirl

Reged: 09/22/09
Loc: Wisconsin

I too desperately wish I could gain back some weight...I just keep loosing. Unfortunately soy and chocolate are two things I just can't tolerate. I wonder if drinking just plain vanilla almond milk would work...

--------------------
IBS-D. Eating gluten and dairy free.

re cocoa powder, mainly new
      #365449 - 07/08/11 10:06 AM
Susie1985

Reged: 05/04/11

I suppose you could have cocoa powder with rice milk (with soy or almond milk, it would probably mean too much fat overall, which for me is a huge problem.) sugar is unhealthy, but there is something called xylitol. it still has calories, but it's much better for your health all round. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xylitol
but if you have problems with polyols, it may be a no-go area. if not however, you could add that to almond or soy milk/bake cakes/ cookies with it too! careful with cakes in general however, as there's eggs and oil in them, so fat may still be a problem if there's not enough other calorie-laden ingredients in there. the trouble with fat is that one tablespoonful of oil has 120kcal. and remember 1g of fat has 9kcal, whereas 1g carb or 1g protein only 4kcal. so I suggest that especially if you want to boost your calorie-intake, calculate that a meal has enough fat in it that you can tolerate. (ie with a piece of bread, so how many calories that is, and then add a certain amount of peanut butter) for something non-sweet, either on potatoes or rice or barley, you could always add flaxseed oil. v good for you, omega-3 source! but again careful with the calories coming from all that fat.

I also eat cocoa powder with my oats and red berries. I cook these all together in the microwave and think it's delicious.

you could also try white rice with a bit of cocoa powder, surely you can cook it together, or make a rice pudding? or same with barley? barley is v plain on its own, it takes up the flavour of anything I find, it can be good for sweet dishes. or non-sweet ones, in say soups.

it's challenging to cook from normal recipes I find, but that may be because I don't just eat low-fat, but also low-carb. but it's do-able. any recipe you may find on the internet, often you have to tweak the ingredients a little, don't put forbidden ones in there, use less oil, and you may just find that it's still delicious.

I will now go to the recipe message board and post a recipe or two of mine, you may want to give those a go if you fancy.

PS There were some foods which I ate at one time, then had huge problems and then associated it so much with the subsequent pain that i never ate that food for two years. until I looked into the science (that diet I posted is entirely based on science, (many thanks to Syl without whom I'd have never been able to compile it)) and then found that indeed, it was not that food that caused me the pain but probably something I'd eaten two days before. Sometimes foods and the trouble they cause have a delayed effect. more pertinently, that banana and oj and rice milk drink, what else did it have added/ was it bought in a shop? maybe you could make your own, pure rice milk and oj and bananas all seem safe ingredients from an IBS/fructose point of view.

--------------------
now: stable through EFI+FODMAP dieting (no lactose/no fructose/some fructans and some polyols)

before: IBS-D(pseudo-diarrhoea), bloating, often unbearable pain esp from too much fat: Apr 2007- Dec 2010

FODMAPs: http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/072710p30.shtml

[I've tried VSL#3 -> I could tolerate v good amounts of IF (even with less SF), it worked great (but overall I find it too expensive)]

#365455 - 07/08/11 01:13 PM
IBSHelpWanted

Quote:

I too desperately wish I could gain back some weight...I just keep loosing. Unfortunately soy and chocolate are two things I just can't tolerate. I wonder if drinking just plain vanilla almond milk would work...

In my struggles with gaining weight illustrated in this thread, I have found that getting calories in liquid form is so much easier than going through the process of cooking an entire meal.

When I'm at home, I try and cook about 4 IBS/FM friendly meals a day at around 800 calories each. I then throw in a few glasses of the chocolate soy milk to make up the difference. I find that life often gets in the way, though, and I don't always have time to cook all of these meals. What I do on those days is drink a little more of the chocolate soy milk (rice/almond milk would definitely work as its still calories) to catch back up on calories.

Anyone else drink that stuff? I believe it's safe for me, but I'm not 100% on it yet. As Susie said, some things hit you a couple days after so it's really tough to tell.

--------------------

for ibshelpwanted new
      #365459 - 07/08/11 10:25 PM
skh

yes i tried the dark choc almond milk and loooved it..but i started looking at the sugar content and it just seems so unhealthy...i can't remember if it caused me any issues though..i stopped buying it b/c i was worried about so much sugar... ..i just want something healthy and good for me that will add some lbs...i've yet to figure out what that might be!

#365460 - 07/08/11 10:30 PM
skh

i bet plain almond milk would help..i have bought it before when i tried it in smoothies...but i went back to rice milk when i got so sick from my last smoothie...i don't really drink milk now unless i eat ceral b/c i'm afraid of the fat..rice milk seems to be the easiest to drink for me...but it's not going to add lbs!!

Re: re cocoa powder, mainly new
      #365461 - 07/08/11 10:42 PM
skh

thanks for the suggestions! to be honest i don't bake. i barely cook! i've had to learn how to cook for myself but it's not very good..chicken and chicken i like cake and cookies but i want something not really sugar related i guess to be able to eat or drink daily to add some lbs...i want to feel healthy again!! i don't have any energy at all..ever...sorry to ramble..thanks again...

Re: for ibshelpwanted new
      #365464 - 07/09/11 12:17 AM
IBSHelpWanted

Quote:

yes i tried the dark choc almond milk and loooved it..but i started looking at the sugar content and it just seems so unhealthy...i can't remember if it caused me any issues though..i stopped buying it b/c i was worried about so much sugar... ..i just want something healthy and good for me that will add some lbs...i've yet to figure out what that might be!

I used to be an extremely healthy eater and have had to completely revamp my diet. I have yet to find a way to pack on pounds while eating under the IBS and FM guidelines, without eating a little unhealthy. It's certainly possible, but it sure is difficult....and time consuming. I'm still searching for quick, healthy alternatives to grab when I don't have time to cook 5+ meals in a day. In the meantime, I'm eating super healthy for like 2/3rds of my calories and then eating/drinking the following:

Silk Choc Soy Milk
Baked Lays/Ruffles (only brand I seem to do ok with)
Guacamole or Hummus w/ Baked Tostitos
Blueberry Muffins/Banana Bread

I'm trying hard to replace the above, high calorie items with healthy alternatives that are quick to grab. So far, I'm still searching. At least this seems to work in the meantime and might provide some alternatives for you. If I can be decently healthy, feel moderately okay, and pack on the pounds, I'm ok with that for a while.

Of course, as you can see in this thread, I'm doing great for many of the weeks, and then seem to lose all of my gains rather quickly while traveling and eating really bad food.

--------------------

#365465 - 07/09/11 12:24 AM
IBSHelpWanted

Quote:

i bet plain almond milk would help..i have bought it before when i tried it in smoothies...but i went back to rice milk when i got so sick from my last smoothie...i don't really drink milk now unless i eat ceral b/c i'm afraid of the fat..rice milk seems to be the easiest to drink for me...but it's not going to add lbs!!

I don't see why rice milk wouldn't add weight. You'll have to drink a lot of it, though, and it would get fairly expensive rather quickly. I see that an 8oz glass of rice milk has 120 calories, whereas a small 8oz glass of choc soy milk is 140. A regular glass of whole milk is 150 calories and I know many people who drink an entire gallon a day as a way to gain weight. Drinking an extra 3 tall (12-15oz) glasses of rice milk a day would be enough to gain 1 lb per week.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2327 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 24772

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review