All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
fructose malabsorption test
      #363581 - 02/22/11 03:07 AM
CellSalts_Work

Reged: 08/15/10

at long last I now have a referral and a hospital that has a fructose test on offer, but one quick puzzling thing:

I can apparently just go there, any time of the day and there are no guidelines as to how I'm supposed to eat beforehand.

for the glucose and lactose test I had to fast on the day and for two days beforehand I couldn't eat wholemeal foods/pulses/beans.

no restrictions at all for fructose malabsorption? why?

--------------------
Susie, born in 1985,
(pseudo-)D and bloating April 2007-December 2010, now stable

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: fructose malabsorption test new
      #363582 - 02/22/11 03:48 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

This doesn't make sense. Little Minnie had the test a few weeks ago and she had to follow these guidelines. Here is a link to the Quintron collection kit and instructions. It says the same thing as Cedars-Sinai. I believe these are similar instructions to your other tests. Perhaps give the test center a call and ask them for clarification. There is no question there are preparatory guidelines that are important to follow.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#363583 - 02/22/11 04:38 AM
CellSalts_Work

I know, I read up on this and everything, and it's all confusing and just spent half an hour trying to find out but noone can really help me it seems. they ll call back once they ve looked into it...

--------------------
Susie, born in 1985,

#363711 - 02/27/11 02:59 AM
CellSalts_Work

I would just like to report on the fact that I simply don't think it's possible to test for fructose malabsorption here in Britain. I have been to three hospitals now, where the staff albeit not knowledgeable about these things, have been incredibly helpful. Only to have to disappoint me that they don't do it. whereas hospitals tend to do lactose and glucose tests, nowhere is fructose malabs breath testing available. (I tried cambridge and two london hospitals, one of those with an especially large gastro unit). there is just no demand for it. I have now devoted so much time to all this... now given up, if anyone in the UK does manage to get tested for it through non-private means pls do let me know.

--------------------
Susie, born in 1985,

#363712 - 02/27/11 04:52 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Try the following

Biolab Medical Unit London

The Cambridge University Hospitals claim they do a fructose malabsorption test. Here is the information pamphlet which gives the following contact details "If you have any queries, please contact: Mary Brennen, Helen Shelley or Lesley Dark, Tel: 01223 274757"

Bastow Laboratory at Nottingham University Hospitals say they do fructose malabsorption test.

Also, I just had a friend who had a fructose test in the UK who I am trying to contact to get the details.

Good luck

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#363717 - 02/27/11 08:47 AM
CellSalts_Work

thanks v much

I need something london based, am no longer registered in cambridge!

will try to get my doctor to refer me to that biolab

thanks again

--------------------
Susie, born in 1985,

#363768 - 02/28/11 06:13 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I hope you get it figured out. Although if that is accurate it would be awesome to do the test that simply. That is how I thought it would be until I found out how hard it is. But when I drank that pure fructose syrup, if I had been FI I would have known it. Try drinking a high fructose juice on an empty stomach in the morning and see if you feel horrible. If not, other than passing queasiness, you aren't FI.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#363777 - 03/01/11 03:36 AM
CellSalts_Work

thanks. Syl did suggest that too, but I do wonder even if I don't feel horrible, fructose may still cause me D or bloating and maybe the effect is not instantaneous?!

I have not eaten fructose for the past couple of months, since things are on an even keel now, disinclined to rock the boat as it were. but I am intrigued.

--------------------
Susie, born in 1985,

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2917 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3726

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review