All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (continued)
      #361552 - 10/20/10 08:51 AM
missamber

Reged: 12/16/06

Yesterday, I posted about the benefit I have been receiving from Extra Virgin Coconut oil, which I discovered through "The Maker's Diet." I appreciate the feedback, but would like to defend my position on the oil in regard to some comments I received. There is a big difference between hydrogenated coconut oil and extra virgin and most of the time, these two, different oils are put in the same category. Even if you want to go the route of "coconut oil is bad" I agree--if you consume large quantities of it. The recommended dose of EVCO is up to three tablespoons a day. And that's your choice. I used one tablespoon a day of EVCO. And I've noticed a difference. I also use a very select form of EVCO...it's organic, undeodorized, unbleached,unrefined and cold processed. I have posted an article below from Livestrong. The reason I am posting this article is to show that I am not recommending coconut oil like a fool. I would never post something that I think would harm other people, especially people who deal with the serious issues of IBS. This oil has also been recommended to me by various doctors, but I never listened to them until I read "The Maker's Diet." And for those skeptical of the diet, that's fine. I never recommended the book as a Bible for digestive help, but it certainly raises valid diet points for people who could benefit from them.

From LIVESTRONG:
Virgin Coconut Oil Health Benefits

Virgin Coconut Oil Health Benefits
Virgin coconut oil is made from fresh coconut meat called non-copra, as opposed to copra, which is the dry meat used to make refined coconut oil. Virgin coconut oil is a source of fatty acids with 95 percent of them being saturated fats. However, these saturated fats are used for energy as they are easily absorbed by the body, unlike saturated fats that come from meat. Virgin coconut oil helps digestion because of its antiviral and antibacterial properties. Avoid any coconut oil labeled hydrogenated because it contains trans-fats that raise serum cholesterol levels, according to the Mayo Clinic.

Digestion Aid
Virgin coconut oil helps treat irritable bowel syndrome and improves digestion by coating the mucus membranes of the gastrointestinal tract. Stir fry vegetable in virgin coconut oil, and use it to cook your rice and grains.

Antiviral and Antimicrobial
The saturated fats present in virgin coconut oil have antimicrobial properties that help kill harmful fungi and bacteria in the gut. According to Dr. Lita Lee, Ph.D., in articles published on her website, these saturated fats have an acid called lauric acid that the body converts to monolaurin. Monolaurin helps the body fight DNA and RNA viruses that lead to herpes and influenza outbreaks.

Promote Weight Loss
Virgin coconut oil is a medium-chain triacylglycerol oil, which, according to the "American Journal of Clinical Nutrition," can help the body lose weight. Medium-chain triacylglycerol oils go directly to the liver and are instantly converted into usable energy, speeding up metabolism in the body by burning calories. The stimulation in the liver also prompts it to generate more of the enzyme that breaks down fat, called bile.

Good for Skin and Hair
The antibacterial properties of virgin coconut oil also make it useful in treating skin conditions such as eczema and dermatitis as well as dandruff and dryness of the scalp. You can use it to moisturize your skin and hair and as a nourishing agent for your scalp.

Make a paste by adding 4 tbsp. of virgin coconut oil to a quart jar of warm water, melting it before you apply it onto your scalp. Shake the jar well to mix the oil and the water, and apply to hair. Let it dry without rinsing. Wash your hair at least 24 hours later to give the oil a chance to be absorbed by your scalp.

Poison Antidote
According to an article called "The Latest Studies of Coconut Oil" written by Dr. Mary G. Enig and published by The Weston A. Price Foundation's quarterly magazine, "Wise Traditions in Food, Farming and the Healing Arts," virgin coconut oil is used as a treatment for aluminum phosphide poisoning, typically found in pest control solutions.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (continued) new
      #361556 - 10/20/10 10:24 AM
Narcissa

Reged: 09/18/10

Thanks for posting this article, I must admit I'm pretty intrigued, and might have to pick some up.... the "coating" concept sounds kind of 'soothing' - haha, and maybe that would help all the cramps and upsets I normally get (even though I know most of them are stress related I'm hoping I can find something to improve my copping mechanisms)

#361579 - 10/21/10 07:43 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Coconut oil, including VCO, contains 150% more saturated fat than butter or and 200% more saturated fat than lard. You can read about the problems of saturated fat and cardiovascular disease on the Harvard University website in the article Fats and Cholesterol: Out with the Bad, In with the Good

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#361582 - 10/21/10 08:29 AM
missamber

Reged: 12/16/06

Sorry I ever posted this. No harm was meant. I experienced some gut relief and as a survivor of open -heart surgery at 4, I had talked to cardiologist about it. I use very little. Like I said, once a day or maybe every other day. Glad you proved me wrong. Sorry for looking like a lunatic. Bye.

Missamber new
      #361597 - 10/21/10 01:38 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

You did not look like a lunatic. Sorry you were made to feel that way. I knew you were not pushing the book or the diet, but only sharing with others here, how the extra virgin coconut oil had helped you. It's for each and every individual to make up there own mind, if they feel it is worth a try, or to do some research on it.

I don't feel you were trying to harm anyone. Please do not leave because someone cannot understand the point in your post.

#361601 - 10/21/10 05:32 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Sure, but there is something about coconut that makes it healthy regardless. I just don't know what it is. There are many references now a days about the healthiness of coconut. I have seen books on it.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#361609 - 10/21/10 06:19 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I won't be surprised if coconut juice and the flesh are very nutritious. I love the juice and I used to love the flesh -- those were the days. Over the past decade the coconut oil industry has been trying to find an entry into the health supplement market to overcome the sigma it has regarding its very high saturated fat content. Coconut oil in moderation is okay. It is questionable whether there is merit in taking it daily as a supplement to manage IBS symptoms. It surely isn't heart healthy.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#361622 - 10/22/10 06:20 AM
bermudakate

Reged: 11/06/07

miss amber- i am so sorry that you feel like you have been pounced upon for posting this! that is, i'm sure, not what anyone is trying to do. this board is to help people; different things work for different people and i for one appreciate your post. everyone needs to find what works for them...IBS is very individualized. if it works for you, that is great! (i use coconut oil, too)

--------------------
stable IBS-A

#371644 - 11/15/14 03:47 AM
Bdeellpower

Reged: 11/15/14

This post is very informative. Thank you!

--------------------
матрешки

Re: Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (continued)/8-05-14 per Heather: Ref: It's pure fat.. new
      #371653 - 11/15/14 12:32 PM
sgcray

Reged: 01/22/14
Loc: AZ, USA

Per Heather in recipe discussions:
Quote:

so treat it like all fats, as a potential trigger. Coconut oil is a heart healthy fat, so use it as you would olive oil - in small amounts, with a high soluble fiber foundation.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2665 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 18791

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review