All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
sensitivity question
      #359659 - 07/10/10 12:42 PM
kem

Reged: 06/09/10

I am curious about something and wonder if I can pick your brains. . . My young daughter(ibs-d) has some traits - which incidentally run in one side of our family - that feel really connected to being sort of vulnerable or susceptible to ibs. I wonder if other ibs folks have those traits & feel the same about it. ? The traits I'm talking about are basically connected to generally being a super-sensitive person in other areas of life. For example, she has an incredible artistic bent, mostly because she notices details that others don't, and she is sensitive to things that "go together" in ways that many people don't notice. She's perfectionistic and hypercritical of her own work because she obsesses over details that few people see. She doesn't really get it that these things aren't as obvious to others as they are to her, so she often has little patience with those who are less sensitive. She's also always been very emotionally sensitive: she's even affected by the moods and vibes of other people and her emotions are usually extreme - things are either great or horrible. Her highs seem spiritual and deeper than most people have in day to day life, for example. She's always been ridiculously physically sensitive, too: for example, the scratchy tag in a piece of clothing that most people would find somewhat annoying drives her wild to the point that she canNOT wear the garment unless she can remove all trace of the tag. See what I mean? That kind of a person almost seems unfairly set up for ibs, in a weird way. Do others w/ibs know what I mean? Is this common? (BTW, those people in our family w/similar traits - most of them actually did become artists, and many of them battled emotional problems all their lives. Some had undiagnosed digestive problems, too. They are a dramatic bunch! . . . And so is my little ibs artist girl.)
kem (12 yr old daughter w/ibs-d)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: sensitivity question *DELETED* new
      #359660 - 07/10/10 01:24 PM
rfwilmot

Reged: 06/26/10

Post deleted by rfwilmot

Re: sensitivity question new
      #359661 - 07/10/10 02:05 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Yes, yes, yes! There are many who are hypersensitive to the energy fields surrounding them. Some do very easily pick up on the moods/feelings of those around them, and are deeply affected by them. I cannot be around crowds or large gatherings for a long period of time. If I am exposed for too long a time, it takes me days in a quiet room by myself to recuperate.

I am perfectionistic, and I am an artist. I drive my own self crazy! I am 31 and have been this way all my life. Is there a seriousness to your daughter also? Does she have a hard time laughing?

I can only wear v-neck shirts. I cannot have anything up round my neck, no tags, and every garment MUST be in my comfort level. I do not do heels or dresses. I work quite a bit from home, which allows me the peace I need and the freedom to work in my underwear.

I believe beyond a shadow of a doubt that this all plays into IBS. I think everyone has something and that something must go somewhere within the body. For some, it manifests as migraines, for others it may be backaches, for some, like myself and your daughter, its IBS.

May I ask, have you thought about the hypnosis tapes for her?

#359662 - 07/10/10 02:13 PM
Gerikat

Another thing I forgot to mention. Pick up the book by Dr. Elaine Aron, Highly Sensitive Person or, HSP's and read it. It will explain alot about your daughter.

HSP's are not simply sensitive peeps, but they are overwhelmed by the world. Therefore, the need for time alone to recharge their battery, which gets depleted very easily by the world.

See if this link works for you. http://www.highlysensitivepeople.com/

Here's a link to the author's website:
http://www.hsperson.com/

#359663 - 07/10/10 03:00 PM
kem

Well, thank you so much for responding. This will be such an interesting thing to hear about from all.
As to the q's you posted . . .
When it comes to laughing, I would say it all depends on her prevailing mood. If she is 'up', she has quite a wonderfully sophisticated sense of humor. She and her brother will get everyone laughing, including themselves, and her laughter can be contagious. If she is 'down' then if anybody else finds anything at all funny, she will likely take it as a personal insult. !
And, as to the hypno, we're about 1/2 way thru' the program now. (We're also doing several other alternative things simultaneously - they're dovetailing together very well.)
Thanks, again,
kem (daughter w/ibs-d)

#359664 - 07/10/10 03:05 PM
kem

Thanks for the book suggestion. (Frankly, at this point I bet I could 'write the book' on this topic! LOL. And, truth be told, it's my side of the family that has this streak, so I'm a more like this than I usually want to admit! LOL!)
kem (daughter w/ibs-d)

#359665 - 07/10/10 03:16 PM
kem

Oh, yeah - Ditto on the waistband, too. My daughter hasn't consented to wear jeans in years. She lives in leggings, loose t-shirts, and preferably bare feet (flipflops, if she really must). I just picked the tag thing as one of a zillion examples! Thanks for your response. Not being the one in pain (!), it's so interesting to me to see how the puzzle pieces fit together. I have long been wondering if the personality traits are generally a part of the ibs profile, or if in my daughter's case they are things personal to her that are sure to make her ibs as dramatic (painful, horrible, etc.!) as can be. I so want to help her to get a grip on all of the parts of this puzzle while she's still young . . .
kem (daughter w/ibs-d)

#359666 - 07/10/10 03:25 PM
kem

P.S. We're also vegetarian since forever! My daughter has been so her whole life. One of the weirdest things for me to get used to is that my daughter, who once lived on whole grains and fresh fruits and veggies, currently tolerates neither! Yikes. She really wants her old diet back, too, of course. The up-side is that she already loved tofu, quinoa, etc.,so I guess that part has been a bit easier for her.
kem (daughter w/ibs-d)

Re: sensitivity question *DELETED* *DELETED* new
      #359667 - 07/10/10 03:34 PM
rfwilmot

Reged: 06/26/10

Post deleted by rfwilmot

#359668 - 07/10/10 03:48 PM
Gerikat

You guys know, I cannot wear tight pants either. I can only wear stretch band pants (OMG at 31!) or some kind of athletic wear.

I am also vegetarian. SOOOO many things in common.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 477 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 13468

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review