DanaDivine

Reged: 09/30/09

No.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: tea vs water new
      #355995 - 02/20/10 01:31 PM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

I don't know that you are right about this. Herbal tea contains water and herbs, that's it. It doesn't have caffeine, has no diuretic effect....it's just flavored water, right?

#355996 - 02/20/10 04:07 PM
Allisonmary

Reged: 01/03/04

Definetely not the same as water. Tea helps keep you hydrated, but adding herbs to water completely changes the water. There are many herbs that have a diuretic effect. Don't forget that herbs are actual used for medicinal purposes so over doing any herbal tea that you don't need or is contraindicated by your condition (like if you have too much heat and you are drinking too much fennel or ginger herbs) This will definetely affect you. Also, fennel is known for its lubricating and moistening properties so if you seem to have a lot of mucus and fluid buildup in your digestive system, fennel may make this worse.

#355997 - 02/20/10 04:10 PM
DanaDivine

Wrong.

#356020 - 02/22/10 07:45 AM
Cyndy

Well, it would help me to understand your position if you gave some feedback or explanation to your answer. I hope to ask a dietician. Or, I wish others would explain this to me. I also consume mostly herbal tea as I detest water also. I'm really trying to understand why.

Thank you

#356021 - 02/22/10 07:46 AM
Cyndy

thank you, but this doesn't really make sense to me. I do appreciate your feedback and will have to look into this more.

#356027 - 02/22/10 10:02 AM
DanaDivine

"More is not better." Herbal tea acts as a diuretic, whether it contains caffeine or not, so you are not really properly hydrating yourself first of all, and second of all may be overwhelming your body with too much of a good thing.

#356808 - 03/19/10 06:44 AM
Cyndy

How can herbal tea act as a diuretic. I never heard this before. Coffee, yes, but herbal tea? All flavors? Even chamomille and peppermint?

#356811 - 03/19/10 07:14 AM
Allisonmary

Reged: 01/03/04

Some herbs can be a diuretic but definetely not all. Some may actually do the opposite. Why dont you get a book about different herbs, it explains what they do. Just remember that the amount of herbs you are getting in a tea isn't all that much so usually you would have to be drinking a good amount of the tea. Too much chamomile tea or other flowery teas actually may cause constipation. If there is a specific tea that you like thats probably a sign that its good for you. I wouldn't just drink a lot of peppermint tea tho cause you hear its good for digestion becuase for some people it may actually not be or may not be some of the time. For some, ginger may be a better choice. Sometimes ginger may be good in the mornings and peppermint at night. You have to see how the herbs work fo you. If you have something with spices for dinner, it may be better to have some cooling peppermint tea rather than ginger tea which has the same type of warming properties as the spices in your meal.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 203 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 16814

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review