All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Re: Shawneric new
      #355836 - 02/15/10 12:43 PM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

thanks for the info. I've been taking align for about 2 1/2 months now.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Shawneric new
      #355840 - 02/15/10 12:55 PM
shawneric

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Oregon

That is long enough, but sometimes its hard to tell if something is working somewhat or not.

There actually is a new study showing one strain to be unhelpful.

BMC Gastroenterol. 2010 Feb 10;10(1):16. [Epub ahead of print]

A candidate probiotic with unfavourable effects in subjects with irritable bowel syndrome: a randomised controlled trial.
Ligaarden SC, Axelsson L, Naterstad K, Lydersen S, Farup PG.

ABSTRACT: BACKGROUND: Some probiotics have shown efficacy for patients with irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). Lactobacillus (L.) plantarum MF1298 was found to have the best in vitro probiotic properties of 22 strains of lactobacilli. The aim of this study was to investigate the symptomatic effect of L. plantarum MF1298 in subjects with IBS. Primary outcome was treatment preference and secondary outcomes were number of weeks with satisfactory relief of symptoms and IBS sum score. METHODS: The design was a randomised double blind placebo-controlled crossover trial. 16 subjects with IBS underwent two three-week periods of daily intake of one capsule of 1010 CFU L. plantarum MF 1298 or placebo separated by a four-week washout period. RESULTS: Thirteen participants (81%; 95% CI 57% to 93%; P = 0.012) preferred placebo to L. plantarum MF1298 treatment. The mean (SD) number of weeks with satisfactory relief of symptoms in the periods with L. plantarum MF1298 and placebo were 0.50 (0.89) and 1.44 (1.26), respectively (P = 0.006). The IBS sum score was 6.44 (1.81) in the period with L. plantarum MF1298 treatment compared with 5.35 (1.77) in the period with placebo (P = 0.010). With a clinically significant difference in the IBS sum score of 2 in disfavour of active treatment, the number needed to harm was 3.7, 95% CI 2.3 to 10.9. CONCLUSIONS: This trial shows for the first time an unfavourable effect on symptoms in subjects with IBS after intake of a potential probiotic. The trial registration number: Clinical trials NCT00355810.

PMID: 20144246 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

This one is the strain in digestive advantage

Methods Find Exp Clin Pharmacol. 2009 Dec;31(10):655-9.

Effects of a proprietary Bacillus coagulans preparation on symptoms of diarrhea-predominant irritable bowel syndrome.
Dolin BJ.

Accelovance Inc., Peoria, Illinois, USA. bjdolin@yahoo.com.

Symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) have a profound impact on quality of life for many patients and current treatments are sometimes unsatisfactory. This controlled pilot study was conducted to evaluate effects of the proprietary GanedenBC(30) (Bacillus coagulans GBI-30, 6086) probiotic on IBS symptoms, in a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trial including patients with diarrhea-predominant IBS (IBS-D). Patients were randomized to receive either B. coagulans GBI-30, 6086 or placebo once a day for 8 weeks. Patients filled out a quality-of-life questionnaire, and self-assessment diaries were provided to record stool count and consistency, symptom severity, and medication consumption. Of the 61 patients enrolled, six did not meet the inclusion criteria and three were lost to follow-up. Of the remaining 52 patients with IBS-D, the average number of bowel movements per day was significantly reduced for patients treated with B. coagulans GBI-30, 6086 when compared to placebo (P = 0.042). Large variability in baseline scores prevented the assessment of severity scores and quality of life. This small pilot study provides evidence that the proprietary B. coagulans GBI-30, 6086 probiotic is safe and effective for reducing daily bowel movements in patients with IBS-D. Copyright 2009 Prous Science, S.A.U. or its licensors. All rights reserved.

PMID: 20140275 [PubMed - in process]

Some of the studies are done by the actual companies just fyi

--------------------
My website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com

Re: Phillips' Colon Health probiotic supplement new
      #355869 - 02/16/10 09:15 AM
MikeCA1870

Reged: 03/30/09

Dana,

If the B. Bifidium the same as what is included in Align? If so, that's a substantial cost savings over Align even if the other stuff doesn't work.

#355871 - 02/16/10 09:31 AM
DanaDivine

Reged: 09/30/09

I have no idea, never tried Align or looked at its ingredients...

#355872 - 02/16/10 09:34 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Align has a different species of Bifidobacterium. Align contains B. infantis while the Phillip's product contains B. bifidum and B longum.

There have been a couple of small trials where B. bifidum was contained in a cocktail of probiotics that show some positive results. However, B. bifidum and B. longum alone have not been clinically tested as far as I can tell.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Dana new
      #355873 - 02/16/10 09:38 AM
DanaDivine

Apparently I'm "A" with a leaning towards "D," according to shawneric anyway.

I've tried Culturelle (gave me more gas maybe because of the inulin), Flora Five (seemed to make incomplete evacuation worse but I don't know why), Floragen (seemed to help everything in general but I don't like having to take it on an empty stomach), and cheap Walgreen's generic acidopholus, which seemed to help everything a few years ago but doesn't seem to do much now.

Gas is the most obvious symptom the Colon Health has helped. I cannot say for certain about my "going" habits, since I've also been on acacia for awhile and am in the middle of the hypnotherapy program. I can say for certain it's helping my gas, though, because just a few days after taking it I had a dramatic reduction in it.

#355874 - 02/16/10 09:53 AM

Unregistered

do you drink marshmellow root tea? I thought it could help acid reflux and perhaps my ibs. I heard ibs can affect a person throat to anus and this is true for me,burping up food particles or nasty stuff and rotten burps its like my ibs has a ring of irritants and until each one is taken care of I will continue to have those uncomfortable noises/feelings and so much incomplete evacuation and ibs issues. wondering if u think marshmellow root is really gentle. http://www.nutrasanus.com/marsh-mallow.html

http://www.vitacost.com/Natures-Answer-Alcohol-Free-Marshmallow-Root-Extract how about something like that?

#355886 - 02/16/10 06:59 PM

Unregistered

I bought some today it was 13 something. I hope it works,I too felt align was a waste of money

#355974 - 02/18/10 09:43 PM
DanaDivine

I think maybe you drink too much tea already aperson, in my humble opinion... 12 cups a day, wow! Try to drink more water and less tea maybe. We have a PUR water filter on our kitchen faucet to filter out the chlorine and other harmful substances; I know you mentioned your water tastes like chlorine.

tea vs water new
      #355987 - 02/19/10 06:09 PM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

Wouldn't the tea, which contains water, be just as good as water?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 192 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 16746

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review