All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Re: Ibs cooking mistakes I realized/food questions new
      #352513 - 11/20/09 10:46 AM
jhuggs

Reged: 03/18/09
Loc: Erie, PA

Perdue or Honeysuckle is what they sell at Wal Mart. It pretty much takes on the flavor of whatever you're cooking it with. Use it in spaghetti, tacos, meatloaf, burgers, chili etc.

--------------------
IBS-D & bloating.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

guacamole new
      #352514 - 11/20/09 10:47 AM
frygurl

Reged: 08/18/09

Lemon is perfectly fine in guacamole. I interchange lemon and lime all the time in my mexican cooking.

Keep in mind that avocados, therefore guacamole is high in fat. It's good fat, but your IBS doesn't know the difference between good fats and bad fats (but your heart does). Be aware of how much other fat is in your meal when eating guacamole.

Re: several questions,I suppose new
      #352516 - 11/20/09 10:53 AM
shawneric

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Oregon

guacamole?

I know avacados are very high in fat?

"trytophan can that cause problems"

trytophan is the precursor to serotonin. Serotonin is a complex problem in IBS.

Video Corner: Serotonin

Increasingly our understanding of IBS is that it is a heterogeneous disorder – that is, multiple factors contribute to the well defined symptoms of the disorder. One of these suspected underlying dysfunctions involves serotonin, which is a neurotransmitter or messenger to nerves. Most serotonin in the body is in cells that line the gut where it senses what is going on and through receptors signals nerves that stimulate a response. The serotonin must then be reabsorbed (a process called re-uptake) into cells. This process appears to be disrupted in people with IBS.

http://www.aboutibs.org/site/learning-center/video-corner/serotonin

When I have made guacamole I have used both lemon and lime, lime is more traditional I believe.

--------------------
My website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com

Re: guacamole new
      #352517 - 11/20/09 10:59 AM

Unregistered

I get the no lard no trans fat soft tortillas,mission http://www.missionmenus.com/Pressroom/OurProducts.aspx?t=432&id=6372

ok that with 99% lean ground turkey,toffutti sour creme,40% lower sodium ortega mexican seasoning,and gucamole?

#352531 - 11/20/09 12:33 PM
bamalakegirl30

Reged: 10/23/09
Loc: Alabama

When I first started doing the turley thing I made the same mistake as you. I realized I had to look for ground turkey BREAST and I also use ground chicken breast. Both of these should be fine. Weight Watchers (which I can no longer do) were the ones who taught me the difference between ground turkey and ground turkey breast.

--------------------
When all else fails.....have tea.

#352546 - 11/20/09 07:19 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

If you get the normal ground turkey it is mixed dark and white meat. It can be okay if you are stable and the whole meal stays low in fat. That is what I always cooked with. The better choice is the more expensive ground turkey breast. It comes in similar packaging but costs quite a bit more.

The dairy free products you found are safe. I'm glad you could find some. Don't overdo them; use as a topping.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Edited by Little Minnie (11/20/09 07:19 PM)

yes and its expensive new
      #352643 - 11/24/09 10:48 AM

Unregistered

honeysuckle..says all natural 97% fat free..$5 for a pound.

Re: yes and its expensive new
      #352644 - 11/24/09 11:10 AM
Windchimes

Reged: 09/05/09
Loc: Northern California

A pound of meat will do at least 4 meals for one person, depending upon whether you make burgers from it, make chili with half of it and spaghetti sauce with the other half.

I guess it all boils down to whether you want to enjoy the meal and stay off of the toilet, or whether one uses a slightly less expensive meat and spend the next 24-48 hours ON the toilet.

--------------------
Senior female, IBS-D, presently stable thanks to Heather & Staff

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 687 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 12718

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review