All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Egg Whites a trigger?
      #350309 - 09/25/09 04:57 PM
Kenny

Reged: 01/03/05
Loc: Valley Village, CA

Once I figured out that egg yolks are a no-no for me, especially after having my gallbladder out, I have tried all forms of egg whites: fried (with just a little cooking spray, poached, microwaved...

I always end up getting sick. It could be that I'm just allergic to eggs now, period, but I thought that was kind of weird.

--------------------

IBS-A: Gas, Bloating, Occasional Reflux, Panic Attacks

When the bathroom is rockin' don't bother knockin'!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Egg Whites a trigger? new
      #350313 - 09/25/09 06:02 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I would like an answer to that question too.

I have experimented with low cholesterol liquid eggs and 100% egg whites for two years. Alone in omelets and in things like salmon patties. Eventually I figured out I had problems with both yolks and whites.

IBS is a big mystery

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

is it the sulfur in them? nt
      #350333 - 09/26/09 07:02 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: is it the sulfur in them? nt
      #350342 - 09/27/09 06:07 AM
Syl

Hmmm - I guess it could be. I have troubles with sulfurous veggies but I think it is their high IF content that is the problem for me. If it is the sulfur then so much for naturopathic remedies. Apparently sulfur is a homeopathic medicines for a range of gastro-intestinal disorders including irritable bowel syndrome.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

Re: is it the sulfur in them? nt
      #350357 - 09/27/09 05:49 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Yeah so much for homeopathic remedies.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: Egg Whites a trigger?
      #350368 - 09/28/09 08:12 AM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

I thought I had this same prolbem! But I do find with them in breads and cookies but still not fried. I can handle a little bit if there boiled but still not fried. Don't give upon them yet it took me forever to get use to eggs again. Hang in there!
emmasmom
ibs-c gas

#350370 - 09/28/09 08:47 AM
Kenny

Reged: 01/03/05
Loc: Valley Village, CA

Thanks everyone. It seems this board has predominantly females. Does IBS affect more women than men, or am I one of the few men that actually ASK for help? LOL.

--------------------

IBS-A: Gas, Bloating, Occasional Reflux, Panic Attacks

When the bathroom is rockin' don't bother knockin'!

#350372 - 09/28/09 09:12 AM
Syl

Between ages 20 and 30 females predominate the IBS community by a ratio of about 2:1. The female predominance decreases with increasing age.

You are one of the few males that asks for help

--------------------

Does it make a difference if it's organic? new
      #350376 - 09/28/09 11:47 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

I've heard that from a handful of people. And my cousin has a violent allergic reaction (as in rushing to the emergency roon) to any chicken that is not organic. Organic chicken causes no problems for him.

Makes me think for some people they're reacting to an herbicide/pesticide/antibiotic/growth hormone or something else not naturally occurring in the food so only present in non-organic versions.

Or it's just that you're as weird as the rest of us.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Little Minnie gave me a clue about sulfur -- thank you Little Minnie! new
      #350377 - 09/28/09 12:47 PM
Syl

Good suggestion. Unfortunately organic eggs didn't make a difference either.

Little Minnie suggested sulfur as a potential trigger. I did some research and found some rather interesting findings pertaining to ulcerative colitis with potential implications for IBS.

Sulfur in the diet comes in two forms (1) elemental sulfur found in some foods from plants and (2) in two amino acids (methionine and cysteine). Amino acids are the building blocks for making proteins. Sulfur amino acids are found in egg white.

In 1998 an article was published in the Lancet (see reference below) that reported success managing ulcerative colitis in four patiences by reducing the intake of sulfur in either form. Patients were given the following instructions:

"Intake of fats, sugar, and complex carbohydrates was not curtailed. We advised patients to completely avoid eggs, cheese, whole milk, ice cream, mayonnaise, soya milk, mineral water, and sulphited drinks (wine and cordials) as well as nuts and cruciferous vegetables (cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts); to diminish intake of red meat and to use chicken, fish, and skimmed milk." These foods are high in elemental sulfur and sulfur containing amino acids.

All patients improved. One patient was able to quit steroids. Of the other three, all had microscopic improvement of inflammatory changes. The number of bowel motions per day for all four chronic patients diminished from an average of 6 to 1·5 per day and their stools were more formed.

Since this study was published a few larger studies have confirmed these findings as possible. The most recent was in 2004. In addition there is a rat model for ulcerative colitis. These rats get bowel uclers similar to those found ulcerative colitis in humans when feed sulfur containing fiber while non-sulfur containing fiber had no effect.

The rationale behind sulfur as a problem for ulcerative colitis and perhaps other GI disorders goes as follows. Reducing sulfur consumption reduces the amount of sulfur entering the colon making the production of bacterial sulfide lower. Sulfur amino acids essential are required for cytokine production. Pro-inflammatory cytokines are believed to play a role in inflamed bowels. A recently published study found an increases serum levels of several pro-inflammatory cytokines in IBS patients. Also, sulfur plays a role in the production of hydrogen sulfide gas in the lumen of the human colon. Increased production of hydrogen sulfide gas is known to be correlated with increased constipation.

This is really interesting and it could potentially put a new twist in IBS management

References
Roediger, W. (1998). Decreased sulphur aminoacid intake in ulcerative colitis. The Lancet, 351(9115), 1555

Jowett, S. L., Seal, C. J., Pearce, M. S., Phillips, E., Gregory, W., Barton, J. R., et al. (2004). Influence of dietary factors on the clinical course of ulcerative colitis: a prospective cohort study . Gut, 53(10), 1479-1484

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1722 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7513

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review