All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
A strange phenomenon
      #344079 - 04/06/09 08:32 AM
Scott G

Reged: 03/28/09
Loc: Boston, MA

I visited my parents this past weekend to celebrate my dad's 60th birthday party. It was a festive celebration and it was hard to resist the cakes, pizza, and cookies. The thing is, I ate these items like a madman, and had no symptoms! The same thing happened when I was at a party a few weeks ago and ate things like chocolate mousse and cookies. Now, I recently moved to a new city and don't know many people here, and since I was just diagnosed with IBS, I don't have a support network to help me through the anxiety.

Have you experienced something like this before? Does it mean that my issue is a brain-gut thing? Do you recommend an anti-depressant and hypontherapy as a result? Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: A strange phenomenon new
      #344086 - 04/06/09 11:24 AM
hilda05

Reged: 08/04/08

Most likely since you were at your dad's 60th birthday party you were relaxed and having fun, so this makes total sense! I'm in no place to recommend an anti-depressant or what not, but maybe you just need to approach every meal like its a party!

#344088 - 04/06/09 12:19 PM
Kappy

Reged: 10/09/08
Loc: Mississippi

Hilda is right, maybe the relaxed atmosphere settled your gut. However, sometimes the intestines don't go into "kill mode" until a few days after you have eaten the "junk" that is not recommended for people with IBS. (well, I mean, that is my experience, anyway)

Did you notice any symptoms a few days after the party?

--------------------
IBS-C, Gas, Bloating, HURTING!

I'm married and it's so wonderful!

#344111 - 04/06/09 05:04 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I often do better at parties because of the way I eat. I am on my feet the whole time and usually just nibbling here and there and not really eating that much. Regular sit down dinners are different and I always have problems from them, like gas, even when I feel I ate well. Busy parties where I am doing a lot are great for my gut.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#344307 - 04/09/09 11:54 AM
Scott G

Reged: 03/28/09
Loc: Boston, MA

I have to say a few days after the party I was in serious pain. Same thing today after a large Passover meal last night. But next time I see my doctor, I will ask her about a low dose antidepressant. I think it'll help.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 733 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1612

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review