All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Herbal Supplements for Insomnia for someone with IBS-D
      #342908 - 03/05/09 04:48 PM
LtDanFan

Reged: 12/17/03
Loc: Ohio

I was watching a program recently on PBS about "your magnificant mind" and the doctor speaking was talking about natural remedies for insomnia, which I have had for several years. He mentioned Kava Kava, Melatonin, 5HTP and something else.....sorry, has anyone with IBS - tried any of these and if so did you have an tummy reactions. I've been reading on line about each, and some sound really freaky, but prescription meds do not work on me......Any help would be appreciated!!

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia
DX: w/ Multiple Sclerosis 3/10
I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me. Phil 4:13

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Herbal Supplements for Insomnia for someone with IBS-D new
      #342910 - 03/05/09 04:58 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I have tried melatonin. It sort of worked for me. Also, there is some research showing that melatonin may be beneficial for IBS too. I used Weber's 3mg sublingual OTC melatonin .

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#342911 - 03/05/09 05:06 PM
LtDanFan

Sly,

Do you have an next day hand over feeling? What is sort of worked. Did you feel you got enough sleep to function the next day? Did you have any dreams or nightmares? Thanks!

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia

#342912 - 03/05/09 05:17 PM
renee21

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I also take 3 mg melatonin every night. No hungover feeling the next day. Definitely helps me get to sleep and stay asleep longer. And no side effects on the tummy.

--------------------
IBS-C, lots of spasm and trapped gas.

#342913 - 03/05/09 05:24 PM
LtDanFan

That is so cool to know. How much do you take? Thanks!

--------------------

#342914 - 03/05/09 05:33 PM
Runs No Fun

Reged: 12/02/08
Loc: Long Island, NY

My 2¢ - I use melatonin (3 mg Nature's Bounty) and it helps me sleep longer and better. I don't usually have any "hangover" from it (sometimes I take a few minutes in the morning to clear the cobwebs but I'm not sure that's caused by the melatonin) and I've never had any stomach issues from it.

It is not habit forming.

--------------------
Saul (IBS - D)

melatonin and chamomile should be fine-nt new
      #342918 - 03/05/09 07:02 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#342927 - 03/06/09 08:22 AM
osbo54

Reged: 09/04/08

Melatonin is wonderfully mild with no residual effects. You kind of just drift off to sleep very gently. It is sublingual, so you just place it in under your tongue until disolved.

Kava Kava was recommended to my by my physician for my GAD, but I chose not to use it, so I cannot speak to its effectiveness.

There is also Valerian Root, but I have not tried that either. I am leery of new herbs/medications, so I stick with what I know to work and not make me wacky in the AM.

Hope this helps!

#342935 - 03/06/09 03:34 PM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

I took ST JOhns Wort for anixety and one of the other things it is used for is insomnia.It did make me sleepy and no side effects for IBS.Just don't take it if pregnant or nursing or on BC pills.

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

Re: Herbal Supplements for those who take Melatonin also Lil Minnie new
      #342936 - 03/06/09 04:43 PM
LtDanFan

Do most of you take 3mg of melatonin? I had read you should try to get the synthetic kind instead of animal product to avoid chance of infection. I could not find any at the store today that stated whether it was synthetic or animal. Also, I only weigh about 103 lbs. Do you think I would be ok to take one. I got the 3mg tablets. They do not say they are sublingual. How close to when you actually go to sleep do you take it? How long does it take it to work? Also, I take Lorazapam .5mg @ bedtime, my doctor did not get back with me about this, but I wonder if I should not take one tonight if I'm taking the Melatonin. Also, is anyone taking these that are on an antidepressent? Lil Minnie, you said Melatonin and Chamomille is ok. I have been drinking the tea at bedtime. Thanks everyone

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 263 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 14008

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review