All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
IBS and Long Distance Hiking
      #341928 - 02/10/09 06:20 PM
EL570

Reged: 02/10/09

Hi everyone,

I am new to this website, but I'm very glad to see so many people who are able to live better lives through new diets and lifestyle changes! It definitely gives me hope!

I have always had stomach problems for as long as I can remember, but just over the last few months, I have finally been diagnosed with IBS and SIBO (with constipation problems) by both my doctor and my nutritionist. The nutritionist has suggested that I avoid gassy vegetables, cheese, bananas, and that I should cut back on my carbs. I was vegetarian before I was diagnosed and am slowly adjusting to minimal additions of chicken, fiber one, and probiotic yogurt. Over the last few months, I am slowly beginning to feel better (maybe the SIBO is finally going away?), but I am nervous for what the spring's long-distance hiking season will bring with this IBS. Although I am a big hiker, I haven't taken anything beyond day trips over these last few months.

Is there anyone out there who is also an avid backpacker and has IBS problems? What do you do for backwoods meals? I've had my share of Lipton Rice Packets, Mountain House, and others, but I am not so sure that many of these meals will suffice.

I'd really like to be able to take some week to two-week backpacking trips this year.

Send me your advice.

Thanks, and I can't wait to get to know you all better!

E.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS and Long Distance Hiking new
      #345195 - 04/28/09 11:27 AM
Atrox

Reged: 03/04/08
Loc: Florida

Hey E!
Glad to see another hiker on the boards, but sorry to hear about your symptoms. I have not figured it all out yet myself, but I can share what have learned over the years of working in remote locations where I hike all day and there are few to no restrooms. The most important thing for me has been the soluble fiber (read Heather's book if you can). Heather's powder and Fibercon (easy to pack and take tablets, give you calcium as well), in addition to mostly sticking to the diet, have worked wonders for me.

Specific camping/hiking foods that I have found work for me include (I know not all of these will work for everyone):
Target organic fruit leathers; Rice cakes; Organic peanut butter; Pasta with some canned tomatoes with basal; Instant grits; Tea with sugar; Couscous (Near East with pine nuts is my fav); Fantastic Foods taco filling dry mix with tortillas; Bananas; Carrots; Odwalla bars- berry flax; Chicken or salmon (cooked) in a pouch in water; Falafal dry mix; light tofu in box; dried fruit (banana, mango); trail mix

Obviously not all of the above are extremely light nor do they all keep for weeks. Also, the portion control seems to be very important when dealing with IBS- that is hard to do when you are hiking so much and need so much energy, so you could perhaps try to eat more often, smaller amounts.

Good luck and let us know if you make it out on the trail this spring/summer!!

--------------------
--------------------
IBS-D with stress related bouts of C, 10+? years.

#345218 - 04/28/09 04:10 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

since my hubby doesn't I haven't been hiking more than a day hike in years.. but I pack pasta in vegan sauce, make sure I take my fiber... and snack bars, or hummus/pita, or even a peanut butter sandwich on safe bread..

btw- for me yogurt is one of the BIGGEST triggers I can have...

Amie

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#345277 - 04/29/09 05:10 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I backpack with IBS but for me the danger is more toward D than C. My main symptom is bloating but this is negligible when hiking. The most important thing you can do is stay hydrated and take acacia fiber. It is hard to stay hydrated when hiking and such a pain to pee all the time, but it must be done! Also drink herbal tea in the evening which I think somehow hydrates you more than water. For drinks Langers water drink is safe and sometimes I make a fruity drink with these Mexican 'koolaid' packets and add stevia instead of sugar (if there is cold water backcountry). Having a safe flavoring for water like that is great if there is a potential for not liking the taste of the water. So make sure to have a camelback or a accessible bottle (I am trying to rig a long tube from my metal water bottle top to my mouth since I don't like the taste of camelbacks). Then for foods: basically you have to go with what you know will be safe and take no chances. For a C person you can have lots of trail mix type stuff, crackers and cookies of different kinds, even tabbouleh (made in AM and eaten at lunch). Fruit cups are a nice treat. There are lots of ideas.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1053 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2366

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review